2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/07, 07:59 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its no secret cold weather gives me hives

Besides, if I tried to drive mine in the snow, it would be in a ditch in less than five minutes. I can barely handle slick roads as it is without fishtailing all over the place(too much gas on takeoff)
Old 2/3/07, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Enfynet
Does April always have to brag about this Florida thing?

Like what? Heat, humidity, hurricanes, forest fires, tornadoes and insects the size of Buicks?
Old 2/3/07, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by incomingRPG
Like what? Heat, humidity, hurricanes, forest fires, tornadoes and insects the size of Buicks?
Don't forget gators and old people who can't figure out how to vote
Old 2/5/07, 05:52 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

No Salt or sand, No winter hibernation,Hell No winter to speak of.
Of course in Florida your mustang is no longer the fanciest car on the road, so that sorta blows if you wanna talk sadness.(what with the sea of Hummers and Mercedes and Ferrarris and the sole Delorean around here).
Old 2/5/07, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EleanorsMine
Of course in Florida your mustang is no longer the fanciest car on the road, so that sorta blows if you wanna talk sadness.(what with the sea of Hummers and Mercedes and Ferrarris and the sole Delorean around here).

Must be a transplant, no self respecting native would ever tell a person from snow land how good it is down here. Please play up the hurricanes, mosquitos, and sand fleas.

From the rocket ranch

BB

Semper Fi
Old 2/5/07, 11:05 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally Posted by Centurion96
Must be a transplant, no self respecting native would ever tell a person from snow land how good it is down here. Please play up the hurricanes, mosquitos, and sand fleas.

From the rocket ranch

BB

Semper Fi
AHH Noted . Yea, Florida SUCKS. Don't move here!! They have gators the size of mustangs that will eat your legs off down here
Old 2/5/07, 03:07 PM
FR500 Member

AHH Noted . Yea, Florida SUCKS. Don't move here!!
No problem! I have an aversion to humidity
Old 2/6/07, 12:02 PM
Cobra R Member

I have had enough of this crappy snow. But I live in NE so all bets are off till may, maybe i can hybernate with my car....hmmm
Old 2/6/07, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Great shot SixtySix

I will drive my Mustang until the first salt hits the roads. Well, a couple of weeks ago I was out for a night on the town in Manhattan and took the Stang. Forecast was for clear skies (checked NOAA and weather.com as well as radio).

Ended up getting caught in a squall. NEVER saw snow come down and accumulate so fast. About 3am I was a block from my car and it started to flurry. No biggie, but then it came down so hard I couldn't see the building next to me and by the time I got to my car (about 3 to 4 minutes or so) there was about half an inch on the ground). Roads were white, car was white, everything was white.

Let's just say Dunlop SP9000s are NOT good in snow. I hadn't yet changed over to my stock Pirellis so the blame is all on me. I cautiously made it to a friends place where I could crash (me, not the car) and leave in the morning. I made it just in time because it got worse.

SCARIEST MOMENT OF THE NIGHT: Arriving outside my friends place. She lives on a narrow 1 way street which is on a slight downgrade. Cars are parked parallel along both sides of the street so one travel lane in the center. I'm stopped in front of her house looking to park. See a spot so I release the brake and use gravity to move a bit forward. After only a few feet I GENTLY applied the brakes. That's when the car broke traction and, as if the car was on a sheet of ice, I slid down that hill for about 50 feet, all the while doing my best to try and steer to avoid hitting the cars parked on either side of me. The car might as well have been floating because I felt NO friction resistance at all. Finally came to a stop, didn't hit anything. It's scary being along for the ride and not having any control, even at 3MPH!
Old 2/6/07, 04:32 PM
Cobra Member

Here's a video of what happened a couple of weeks ago in my area when we had a whole lot of snowfall in a short amount of time. I drove my Mustang in it too, but had no problems thanks to snow/ice tires.
Old 2/6/07, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blackhat
I GENTLY applied the brakes. That's when the car broke traction
In almost every situation like this, the best thing to do is to RELEASE the brakes. I know this runs contrary to instinct, but in most situations the car will regain traction, and you will regain control.
Old 2/6/07, 07:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I did some today and it did rather well on the stock tires of course you can't go 100 mph but what cha gonna do
Old 2/7/07, 12:30 AM

Man, it's perfect weather here in cali (when it not perfect weather though?)...but I don't have a stang to drive. Soon...ish.
Old 2/7/07, 02:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I had a great time in all the snow we got here in Vancouver BC so far this winter and the traction-lok is the key to all the success
Old 2/7/07, 04:39 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally Posted by SixtySix
No problem! I have an aversion to humidity
Humidity is cool!
Its a good excuse to go swimming.

Course Having a black interior is a huge pain in the behind when its humid and hot....

Works to your advantage when its frickin cold though(cold here is the high 40s at night)
Old 2/7/07, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Holy Toledo!

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
Here's a video of what happened a couple of weeks ago in my area when we had a whole lot of snowfall in a short amount of time. I drove my Mustang in it too, but had no problems thanks to snow/ice tires.
All I could think of while I watched that clip was the Carnival shooting gallery music. Why anbody would drive in that stuff is beyond me. I to had a brush with snow today. Thankfully I keep my v6 91 Firebird as a winter car. It may be rear wheel drive but it's better than nothing!!!
Old 2/8/07, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

C'mon April, You haven't lived until you've lost your mailbox to a snowplow!
Attached Thumbnails Winter Driving-img_0385.jpg   Winter Driving-img_0386.jpg  
Old 2/8/07, 06:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

In almost every situation like this, the best thing to do is to RELEASE the brakes. I know this runs contrary to instinct, but in most situations the car will regain traction, and you will regain control.

Thanks It certainly does run contrary to instict but I will make a conscious effort to do that next time.
Old 2/8/07, 07:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

C'mon April, You haven't lived until you've lost your mailbox to a snowplow!

Or your car! A buddy on my fire dept and his '02 GT. Yes, it was STILL snowing when the pics were taken.
Attached Thumbnails Winter Driving-chiefs-night-blizzard-076-large-.jpg   Winter Driving-chiefs-night-blizzard-079-large-.jpg  
Old 2/8/07, 08:32 PM

I said that I wasn't going to drve my stang in the snow but then my parents car got a check engine light and itwill be three weeks until they can take it to the dealership to get it fixed so they had to drive my truck. so I had no choice but to drive my stang in the snow but after the snow was gone i went to the car wash and washed up inside the fenders to get as much of the salt and slush out as I can then when summer come i might under coat my car.

Quick Reply: Winter Driving