Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window question

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/08, 07:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Window question

Ok, I don't have the pics with me yet... but...

You know that border 'fading' bubbly stuff they put on all the windows that don't move? The windshield, quarters, rear glass?

It's purpose is... what exactly?

It messes up the tint, is why I'm asking. The tint overlays on that stuff and makes little bubbles as it conforms to that junk.

I guess the only reason I can see is it "hides" the black paint used to mask off the glue?

thanks!
Old 9/12/08, 08:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes I believe your right, it's just to hide the gasket/mounting areas and the dots are just to give a "fade" appearance instead of a straight black cut off line. The tint settles after a few weeks. The worst spot was on the pony in the front windshield but every few days I rubbed it out in the hot sun and I eventually got all the air bubbles out and got it to lie flat. Is this new tint or have you had it a while? If it's new you should be able to slowly work them out.
Old 9/12/08, 11:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
No, it came on the car on the quarters... but only the quarters... (?)

I'm gonna get it redone (provided I don't have to worry about replacing the glass after the himicane) but it has always been the case that those dang pips cause the tint to bubble...

Sigh... I didn't wanna have to work it so much... I was thinking, kinda, about killing them with a razor. But the back glass would be horrendous with the defrost lines...

Thanks, Robbie. The flattening out info is good to know!

/nowhere safe for my baby at my sis' house... but it'll probably be safer than mine. Stupid himicane.