Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will new mustang offer navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/04, 06:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 00StangGT@Apr. 26th, 2004, 1:30 AM
you don't need NAV in a muscle car like the Mustang.....sure if you're 60 and driving a Vette you need the assistance
:crazy: :drive:
Old 4/26/04, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Robert@Apr. 26th, 2004, 1:24 AM
Quite frankly, this is just another example of options we'll never see because Ford has to pay the ridiculous UAW wages for jobs that could be automated. If not for the UAW, we'd get a better Mustang, frankly.

It's bullpucky!
The mustang is still the best value sport car on the road. Has nothing to do with UAW workers. Even if their jobs were all replaced with automation and they were able to build them cheaper, Ford would end up pocketing the money anyhow. Just because Ford vehicles are already very competitive. Maybe cars like the Vette have some of these extras, but look at the price you pay for that car. It's Ridiculous! When is the last time you seen a brand new Vette go for 25 grand?

I may be a bit biased though I was a union printer for 8 years and my family works at ford. And I live in Michigan Go UAW!
Old 4/26/04, 10:09 AM
GT Member

I don't need no stinkin' Navigation System. I don't follow directions good anyway. I get lost in my own neighborhood.
Old 4/26/04, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Maybe not right away, but I think Ford might consider puting that in as an option later on. The 350Z has it too
Old 4/26/04, 02:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to own a flooring company, and have been in over 13,000 homes in a 2500 square mile area over time, never even thought about needing a nav unit. They are for yuppies to put on thier cars to show their friends what they can buy(usually lease-make payments rather). Use them for what? the ONE trip somewhere per year??? To use them to find other then common everyday routes that you ALREADY know where your going to requires programing them, which is a pain in the .... It is much easier to Mapquest or have a map. Usually you need some help from the them just to enter the waypoints in the nav. 90% of the time, the person you are calling to get an address can give you directions faster then you can key them in the unit(its like enterning text messages in a phone :shock: ) Its a stupid toy, just like DVD screens in the sun visors. Other then it glowing in cool colors on your dash, there is no point for one. There is this stigma about them now for some stupid consumerisim "status" for people who base their lifestyle on what the neighbor may think about them.

There are 20 aftermarket nav units we offer if you JUST CANT FIND YOUR WAY HOME :bang: The best one is a programable Garmin portable model you can move from car to car easilly, at half the price of an in-dash unit. Ford has a couple new generation ones they are working with now, including one you can remove from the dash and take with you hiking(where you ACTUALLY need one).
Old 4/26/04, 02:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just stop for a minute and ask yourself, HOW MUCH EASIER WILL A NAV UNIT MAKE YOUR LIFE? Id rather lay out 2,000 bucks on a set of Hallibrands, a ducktail, and a nice cat-back setup myself. You cant get THAT lost by driving on roads. I think it just shows someones ignorance if they acutally have to FIND there way somewhere with a friggin nav unit Sometimes the best events, people, and things in life come from making a wrong turn anyway.
Old 4/26/04, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by 00StangGT@Apr. 26th, 2004, 1:30 AM
you don't need NAV in a muscle car like the Mustang.....sure if you're 60 and driving a Vette you need the assistance
Sure, but it would be nice in a pony car like the Mustang!

A GPS Nav system might not make much sense going down the quarter mile, don't think too many have gotten lost there, but a long afternoon drive through the mountain might be a very different matter, even if you're only 40-something. That's to say nothing if you do a lot of travelling and touring in new and unfamiliar areas. If you stay close to home or the drag strip though, probably not much benefit derived.

I imagine one would be offered in future upscale models such as the Cobra and perhaps trickle down to the GT and Base versions later. These things are getting cheaper, though are still pretty dear for the GT's price point (but then again, Mazda does have one for the even cheaper 3). There are some nice and fairly affordable aftermarket units should one want to go that route.
Old 4/26/04, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

heh, they've got you sold on a worthless trinket
Old 4/26/04, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Almost as bad as parking sensors. GPS is really a show offs toy, most people don't need it, and in a mustang I dont see you taking too many long road trips.. Or at least I wouldn't.
Old 4/26/04, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by VillianousBlak@Apr. 26th, 2004, 3:55 PM
Almost as bad as parking sensors. GPS is really a show offs toy, most people don't need it, and in a mustang I dont see you taking too many long road trips.. Or at least I wouldn't.
One saved bumper and parking sensors start to look pretty cheap.

I would disagree about GPSs being solely show-off devices, but maybe that's by experience as an offshore sailboat racer showing through. As noted though, whether they're worth the money probably has more to do with the kind of driving and whatnot that one might do. For local driving, its probably a pretty silly thing to have.

I guess I'm about the polar opposite of the drag racers on this board as I do like to take trips and go touring to new places and regions. heck, I haven't even settled into my seat in a 1/4 mile and see stop lights as a bane to avoid in search for the open road. I guess I consider the GT as, well, a GT in the traditional sense -- Gran Tourismo or Grand Touring -- high speed, long distance touring over varied roads more in the European connotation. This is more in line to what the Stang/GT was originally conceived prior to its later adoption by many as a purely a straight line muscle car.

In any case, and in that context, I could see where a good GPS nav system would be quite handy, though I'd probably wait till they started coming down to the sub-$1K level before I plunked down cash for one. the $1.5-2K that these things currently cost will buy a whole lotta maps and Fodor city guides.
Old 4/26/04, 04:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

still, 500,000+ miles driven with no GPS needed so far Hiking and open water is one thing, there are only so many roads, and hardly any without signs as to where they are going.
Old 4/26/04, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@Apr. 26th, 2004, 4:20 PM
still, 500,000+ miles driven with no GPS needed so far Hiking and open water is one thing, there are only so many roads, and hardly any without signs as to where they are going.
I agree. they are a great way to blow money if you run out of ideas for spending. How often are you going to these unfarmiliar locations? 95% it's to and from work or school anyways. Any other time MapBlast.com works just fine for me! Just my opinion though..

Navigation systems: :notnice:
Old 4/26/04, 04:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

It also means you need the old cartridge changer for your stereo. I still wonder what happens when one breaks out of warranty
Old 4/26/04, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good grief people. This is essentially the same arguement as with the spoiler delete. If it's an option, you don't have to get it. If you want it, get it, if you don't, then then don't. No need to convince the opposing party of your viewpoint. Some people like red apples, some like green. You don't see them arguing about it.
Old 4/26/04, 08:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

this is the new one going in the escape hybrid, it is showing systems monitoring but it is a GPS:

Old 4/26/04, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

AND if you didnt know, you CAN have GPS mounted in ANY FORD VEHICLE with a ford system, including Mustang

FORD Nav

Old 4/26/04, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

This is my favorite aftermarket, street pilot is transportable and touch screen, for the money it rocks:

garmin

This is the only one I would consider personally, although its not exactly my thing.
Old 4/26/04, 10:58 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by rhumb+Apr. 26th, 2004, 8:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rhumb @ Apr. 26th, 2004, 8:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-00StangGT@Apr. 26th, 2004, 1:30 AM
Sure, but it would be nice in a pony car like the Mustang!

A GPS Nav system might not make much sense going down the quarter mile, don't think too many have gotten lost there, but a long afternoon drive through the mountain might be a very different matter, even if you're only 40-something. That's to say nothing if you do a lot of travelling and touring in new and unfamiliar areas. If you stay close to home or the drag strip though, probably not much benefit derived.

I imagine one would be offered in future upscale models such as the Cobra and perhaps trickle down to the GT and Base versions later. These things are getting cheaper, though are still pretty dear for the GT's price point (but then again, Mazda does have one for the even cheaper 3). There are some nice and fairly affordable aftermarket units should one want to go that route. [/b][/quote]
Ah, but rhumb I'm going to use you're own arguement against you here. I would be more upset if ford offered a navagation system over components which would make it a more capable sports car for those who know the general commute is not as straight and smooth as an airport landing strip (you like that eh? sounds like you)

This gets put into the same box as colour configurable gauges IMO. Nice to have, but maybe the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Plus, using a fold out map and getting lost occassionally makes road trips.....well......road trips.

And where do you stop if you offer NAV? Tiptronic, reverse cameras, voice activated radio controls, internet capability, flip down DVD screen, power sunroof.........you can keep it.

I just want a car with an excellent powertrain, a modern and well-designed interior, a V8 and a 5-speed in the shell that looks like a mustang and I'm happy.
Old 4/27/04, 02:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well guess what, if it's an option, you don't have to get it Either way you get a great car. 'nuff said.
Old 4/27/04, 03:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ya know, you anti-NAV guys are right! How stupid am I...who needs NAV anyway?

And while we're at it, let's get rid of those pesky cell phones - after all, they just cause accidents. And if you have a flat in the middle of nowhere, just walk the 30 miles to the nearest diner and get Alice to call Buck at the local garage.

Hmmm - we can probably get along without PDAs too, come to think of it. I mean, what's wrong with using a paper-filled Daytimer? And speaking of paper, who needs a calculator when you can just do long-division!

And computers are a waste too. All they do is make you sit on your behind longer than you should, which ultimately just contributes to obesity.

And while we're at it, lets get rid of those bloody microwave ovens, too! They give you cancer (along with the evil aforementioned cell phones).

In fact, let's just go back to living in caves, drawing on rocks, and catching and killing our supper!

Quick Reply: Will new mustang offer navigation?