2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Will I miss my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/06, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will I miss my truck?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Seriously considering buying an 07 GT for everyday use. I'm 43 and have driven a truck for the last 18 years. I know the excitement will carry for a while, but concerned it will get old in a year or two. Any experiences/advice?
Old 11/1/06, 08:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had my truck for five years ( i'm 20) and my mustang for two years. I have alway's been a truck guy but I have also alway's had a love for muscle car's. I love driving my car just as much as I love driving my truck, maybe my car a little more now. I would have to say no to your ? because every time I drive my car it's like the first time becasuse these car's are so much fun to drive (espically if your like me and are always putting something new on it ).
Old 11/1/06, 08:30 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jac70ss
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Seriously considering buying an 07 GT for everyday use. I'm 43 and have driven a truck for the last 18 years. I know the excitement will carry for a while, but concerned it will get old in a year or two. Any experiences/advice?
I here you, I traded my 90 f150 for my mustang at 47 I ain't gettin no younger. Figure I'll buy an new f150 after they come out with the new small diesel V8 for it. But I do love my mustang!
Old 11/1/06, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Just remember your truck sits high, rides smooth, and probably doesn't require alot of attention. The mustang sits low, rides rough, and requires alot of attention. All depends on what kind of driving experience you want.
Old 11/1/06, 08:48 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Airwolf
Just remember your truck sits high, rides smooth, and probably doesn't require alot of attention. The mustang sits low, rides rough, and requires alot of attention. All depends on what kind of driving experience you want.
kind of the opposite for me, truck rides rough (lifted 10 inches) car drives smooth. I don't get it, car drives rough
Old 11/1/06, 11:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2005sonicgt
kind of the opposite for me, truck rides rough (lifted 10 inches) car drives smooth. I don't get it, car drives rough
Agreed, I have driven MANY different cars in my short time on this earth, and the Mustang is by FAR the most fun to drive. It is not rough riding, just firm...there is a difference. I drove a 99 f150 for a month, couldn't take it. I felt worn out after driving for an hour in it. I drive the mustang for 3 hours and I feel fine after driving it. I kind of like to say the truck "beats you up" while driving it, even though it feels smooth.

Here is the test if you are on the fence. Rent a Mustang V6 for a week and drive it, probably cost around $100... a small price to pay to be sure you really want this car. See how much you enjoy the car. If you think you want a GT, go to a dealer and test drive a V8, and see what you think. Either way you win because you either make sure you DO want the car, or you DON'T want the car.
Old 11/2/06, 05:18 AM
Bullitt Member

You will miss it when you need to carry somethig]ng large
Old 11/2/06, 06:45 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The most impractical decision I think I've ever made... trading my 4X4 truck for a Stang. I still have a Jeep GC for the winter, but I already miss the hauling capabilities. Do I regret it...? HELL NO!
Old 11/2/06, 06:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sts767
You will miss it when you need to carry something large
x2

But then again, there's always Enterprise, Home Depot by the hour, or that good buddy/neighbor. You gotta weigh how often you haul something vs the amount of fun time in the Mustang.

I know people that have trucks and really only need it 2-3 times a year. I'll gladly have my Mustang and pay for rental for those 2-3 days.
Old 11/2/06, 07:15 AM
Bullitt Member

depends what part of the country you are from... obviously if you're in the north where winters are crappy you will miss your truck b/c no one minds driving a truck during the winter, especially 4x4ing around, but seeing your brand new mustang out there is a tougher time.. but on the other hand if you live in a warm climate where you can definitely drive it year round, you won't miss it at all
Old 11/2/06, 07:42 AM

Thanks guys. I live in West Tn. Not the best winters, but certainly not the worst. Just rainy/cold/nasty. I have another truck, a 1966 that is dependable for the "truck chores". I think I would enjoy the Mustang but don't want to look like the old man trying to relive his youth. Kinda of a Burt Reynolds wantabe. The rental sounds like a good idea. It would give me a real world taste of everyday driving. I just don't want to make an impulse decision and end up regretting it.
Old 11/2/06, 07:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
If you can swing it, keep the truck and get a new Mustang.

But if you can't, I vote for getting the Mustang. Change is good.

btw- to TMS!
Old 11/2/06, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dont worry about looking like the old man. Screw what others think. When you get older you are supposed to not care Enjoy life and have fun. You will not regret owning this car. You will just be ****ed at yourself that you didnt do it sooner
Old 11/2/06, 08:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Webba
Don't worry about looking like the old man. Screw what others think.
Exactly. I am not OLD by any means, but not young anymore either. (35) I have been accused of suffering a mid-life crisis , but I don't care I love this car. When I hit the Go-Pedal it's instant grin from ear to ear.
I have friends with trucks, so I wouldn't miss it.
Old 11/2/06, 08:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Old 11/2/06, 08:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Old???

If you can afford it, go for it! Who cares about the age! Fun is fun!
Old 11/2/06, 09:17 AM
Cobra Member

I think I would enjoy the Mustang but don't want to look like the old man trying to relive his youth. Kinda of a Burt Reynolds wantabe.
I'm 46 and I bought my first Mustang in 97. I traded in that one for the 06 I now have. Relive my youth? I ain't re-living a thing baby! Just trying to enjoy it as I go along. I could care less if somebody thinks I am a Burt Reynold wannabe.

The rental sounds like a good idea. It would give me a real world taste of everyday driving. I just don't want to make an impulse decision and end up regretting it.
I was lucky in the fact that I travel for a living and got to rent the 05 V6 several times. Really wetted my appitite!
Old 11/2/06, 09:22 AM

You guys are taking all the excuses away! Thanks, now the next question, manual or auto?
Old 11/2/06, 09:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

You guys are taking all the excuses away!
Well that was kind of the point, I thought
Thanks, now the next question, manual or auto?
Hmm I personally chose manual, sports cars deserve them
If you do a lot of city driving and don't feel like shifting a lot, then go auto.
You can always get tunes to improve the auto's shifting, etc.
Old 11/2/06, 09:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
You guys are taking all the excuses away! Thanks, now the next question, manual or auto?
Manual all the way!

But, if you have a bum left leg, get the Auto.

Can't really go wrong with either.

Quick Reply: Will I miss my truck?