2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

WHY an 05'/06' Mustang ?

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/05, 10:36 PM
Number Cruncher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The short version:
Because it looks, runs, and sounds gorgeous.

The long version:
I started driving at the tail end of the '60s early 70's muscle car era.
My first car was a '67 Baracuda fastback I inherited from my brother in 1973. It had a built 383 and it could fly. Garnered 5 tickets in 2 years, but I outran the police once (What can I say, I was young.), and developed a real taste for American Muscle.
Next car was a '71 Pinto, 2000cc of pure, unadulterated blah.
Got married in 1980, and the wife brought a '75 Honda Civic into the mix. (Anybody see the '70s gas crisis here? From a 383 to a Pinto and a Honda? ) Traded the Pinto in on a Buick Regal in 1985. Kept the Honda. (What a mistake that was. It went to Honda Heaven a year later.) Traded the Regal for a Taurus in 1991, and the Taurus for an Intrepid in 2000.
For fun, I bought a '69 Mustang coupe in 1989. Just a little base coupe with the 302 V8. It became my hobby for the next eight years. Rebuilt the engine. Mild cam, Holley carb, Hooker headers, etc... Swapped out the C-4 auto trans for a C-6. Refurbished the interior, and got started on the body work. Then in 1997, we had the opportunity to buy a house, but needed some extra cash for closing costs. (Bye-bye to Dad's Mustang Hello '88 Ranger)
By 2004, I was really starting to feel the AM(American Muscle) itch. Started looking around for another project car, but ran into the rumors about the new Mustang and saw the concept car . So I waited and watched, and by gosh the '05 Mustang lived up to the hype. Couldn't stomach paying what dealers were asking for the '05s here in California. (I saw markups from $2k to $7k ) So I waited somemore, and ordered an '06 GT 'Vert equipped exactly the way I wanted it. (Got it for $500.00 under MSRP too!)
Now I've got the best of both worlds. Old school muscle with all the modern comforts and my first drop-top as an extra bonus.
Old 9/15/05, 10:50 PM

Bottom line is GM cancelled the Zeta platform, so no retro Z-28 was to be born.

My first car was a 65 Notchback that I eventually shoved a 351 Cleveland in, sold it when I went in the Navy.

Owned about 15 cars since then, all GM's, most muscle cars, or big cruisers. I was getting tired of the Yukon, and GM has totally let me down on performance cars. The GTO is way GHEY even at 400HP, and my 2 sons still live at home so no Vette yet. The new Mustang looks so cool, and at 300HP it finally caught my attention. Ordered an 06 silver Vert GT, and had it in my driveway in exactly 30 days. I love it.
Old 9/16/05, 12:43 AM

I wanted to replace my '98 Monte Carlo with another V6 coupe, but I didn't like the new Montes and the other GM brand V6 coupes just look dorky (I almost got a Malibu, but the front end looks stupid). The 2005 Mustang V6 just looks fantastic and suits my lifestyle; no spouse, no kids, no need to transport alot of stuff, etc.

I definately didn't buy it because of it's gas mileage. 8)
Old 9/16/05, 01:06 AM

To sum it up...

- I wanted a new car, which I've never had, where I put the first miles as the owner, so that I could have it optioned out EXACTLY how I wanted it, and the warranty doesn't hurt, either.
- the looks
- the sound
- 300hp/320lb/ft on 87 oct.
- the price (once I found I dealer that didn't try to give me a reach-around )
Old 9/16/05, 04:05 AM
Cobra Member

I ordered my '05 GT without having even driven one, just seeing it was enough. The main reason was that it looked and sounded completely different than any European or Japanese sports coupés.
And yes, I've always wanted a Mustang since I saw "Bullit" on TV as a kid!
This car is the perfect embodiment of new American muscle car!
Old 9/16/05, 08:22 AM

The wife and I were spending the weekend trying to find me a new "toy". We were actually looking around Kansas for a vette! There were none to be found in the condition/year/price I wanted. We just happened to drive through a Ford dealership in Salina, KS with this BEAUTIFUL Sonic Blue Convertible! We bought it that day. Drove it once, took it to lunch and then came back and closed the deal.
I love it! V6 and still has good enough power for me.
Old 9/16/05, 08:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wanted one in 1965, but i was only 13 years old. So when i saw the 05 i had to have one ...the rest is history.
Old 9/16/05, 08:31 AM
V6 Member

I saw the "Cornfield" commercial and went down the dealership the next day. Looked at the GT, grabbed the salesman's card and left. Less then one mile away from the dealership I looked at my girlfriend and said, "You realize I'm buying that car, right?"

I put my order in two days after that.
Old 9/16/05, 08:41 AM
Cobra Member

1. its american..like me..go figure.
2. japanese cars look like boxes and insects
3. its america...didnt i just say that?
4. its not a 40k Japanese car tin can with 240hp ..cough honda s2000
5. i bleed blue

and lastly 6. its perfect
Old 9/16/05, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I first saw pictures of the show car, I was not all that impressed. I still wasn't impressed when I started seeing pics of the new production car.

Things started to change slowly when I saw one in person. It looked a LOT better in person than it had in the pictures I had seen previously.

This was over Thanksgiving. The dealership where I first saw the car is where my Mom works (and where I later bought my car on D-plan!). The salesman I talked to has been a friend of the family for several years, so we took it out for a quick test drive. He had to get back for a meeting, so that drive was very short. BUT! he gave me a gas poo to fill it up and told me to go have fun... So I took it up a nice, tight mountain road to see how it handles the twisties.

By the time I came back (96 miles later to be exact!), I was hooked. This car was SO much better than the previous cars that it wasn't funny. Handled better. Tighter. Quiter. Better performance. WAY better looks. VERY nice interior. Nice features. Yeah. I was sold.

I sat on the decision for a while, and in January I called him up and he placed the order for me (you can't beat 0 down and D-plan, by the way...). I picked the car up on March 30th and I love the car more every day.
Old 9/16/05, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I first fell in love with the car seeing it in the "Cornfield" commercial. My twin and I will be 50 in Dec and I wanted something special. So........started looking for the car on lots in Feb. Found several too far away......was going to order one, but they wouldn't take X-Plan. So I cancelled.......then lucked up and found one on a lot in April and bought it. Been lovin' it ever since!!
Old 9/16/05, 10:41 AM
Cobra R Member

At the time the new Mustang was introduced, I had been pondering the purchase of a 350Z or G35 or RX8. Then I saw the pics of the new Stang and I was like "woah"! I had to get me one. I was never into any type of brand loyalty per se. If Chevy had come out with a kick-butt Camaro I would have considered that too. But now I must say I've turned into a true blue oval fan. I love this car. It is pure, unadulterated fun. My friends say it is "me" in mechanical form. Lol. I take it as a compliment =).
Old 9/16/05, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

First, read my signature. Yeah, I'm a bit of a Mustang guy. I saw this car at the NAIAS (Detroit Auto Show) a couple of years back, and the second I saw it, I thought that if the production version looked anything like that concept, I would buy it.

It was a pipe dream at the time, since I did not have the funds to buy a new GT at that time. Now I think I'm set financially, and I always wanted to buy a new sports (or muscle, in this case) car before I turned 30.

I've never had a new car, and my 10th Stang will be my first new one!

It is supposed to come in tomorrow. Think I might be just a little excited? Heck yeah, especially after waiting since JANUARY!!! :angry:
Old 9/16/05, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
See my signature.

I have driven Mustangs since November 1976, with the exception of the past four years. We sold our 1990 so I could let my bride get a car she really wanted; with four doors and an automatic. The Intrepid R/T is a great car; pretty decent performance, solid handling, sunroof to keep my convertible itch under control, and AutoStick to keep my 5-speed itch under control.

But it wasn't a Mustang.

Then I heard about the new Mustangs, found the greatest Mustang web site in existence (this one) and started doing my homework.

I quickly realized I could have my 1969 Mustang again - and then some - with 21st century technology and build quality. There was no question what to do.

As soon as we were able to plan for it financially, I pulled the trigger. As I write this we've had her for a little over a week.

This Mustang is EVERYTHING I thought she'd be!
Old 9/16/05, 10:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

I had decided on getting a mustang a few years ago and came close to getting an 03 GT, then saw the new design and knew I should wait.
Old 9/16/05, 11:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am buying an '06 GT because after I sat in one I was hooked.

I'm coming out of an '03 Mustang V6, and unfortunately, the seating accomodations are not friendly to a 6'2" person. For what it is, it's a great car, but the 05/06 is a quantum leap forward, at least in my opinion.

My '06 is due within 10 days, so the excitement level is building up!.

I will be sad to see the '03 go away, but after a week of driving the '06, I'm sure that I'll forget all about the other one.
Old 9/16/05, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

i saw a few '05s running around town in late 2004. great lookin car. it sure turns heads.

for months my friends kept telling me i should get one. "she sure is pretty," they'd say over and over. "yeah, she's nice," i'd reply.

then i saw a picture of the H&R springs mustang in late jan., 2005. that's all it took. 3 days later i had one on order. and 4 months later she finally arrived.

ps, so many ppl comment on the '05 mustang. do you get many admiring glances? betchya do. when i see an '05, my eyes are glued on it. she sure is a looker. what a love affair.
Old 9/16/05, 04:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Like I say to everyone. The G35 Coupe is classy and refined, the Mustang is raw and visceral...and I'm not a classy or refined type of guy...

I test drove a lot of entry level sport luxury cars. The G25 Coupe was by far the best out of them, but when I test drove the Stang for the first time, something just took over and I had to have it. I never got that feeling in the G. The engine roared, the V8 dual exhaust sounded beefy, and it looks just plain menacing. I love it.
Old 9/16/05, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Dbl E GT@September 15, 2005, 5:24 PM

What made YOU buy a Mustang ??

I was born and grew up in Europe...
Since I was a kid growing up in the 70s over there, I always had a dream of having a muscle car, I was always fascinated by them to the extreme. Years passed, I had some nice cars (the best one being a BMW M3, the model in production these days...), but never a V8, goold old american iron, you just don't have them over there, especially because of the price of gas...
Then destiny played a good part in what was to follow: I met an american girl, she became my gf and then my fiancee...when it was time to step up our relationship she made sure I knew she wanted to live the rest of her life with me but in the USA.
I agreed to that and when I got here, I looked around to see what would have been the car produced in USA that would be the closest possible to those dream cars of the 60s and early 70s. And that was a big disappointment...there were some sporting nice V8s, but the looks were so far away from those magic years when (real) Mustangs, Challengers, Cudas, Chargers, Roadrunners and Super Bees were roaming the streets of the USA.
Some years passed, I went to "car purgatory" (=my car was a Corolla...) and finally I saw a pic on the internet of the new Mustang and that made me go back to the enthusiasm I had about muscle cars, it made me feel like a kid again: a real muscle car ! And one that wouldn't cost me an eye as well !
I had to have the new Mustang GT and that's what I did.
Just to sit in it and turn the key and hear it's gorgeous 4.6L V8 come to life, makes me have a huge smile on my face and it will for the longest time.
This is why I had to have the new Stang and oh boy, am I happy or what !!!
I love every single bit of it !!!
Old 9/16/05, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

dave_bought_another_black_stang's Avatar

I bought one because i could!

Quick Reply: WHY an 05'/06' Mustang ?