2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Who's replacing their exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/04, 02:51 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Does replacing a exhaust system void your new car warranty?

I'm not sure how much horsepower can be gained from swaping out the exhaust system on the '05 Mustangs. Does anyone know? I know it can be anywheres from :worship: 10 to 20 hp on many other cars. This is usually one of the most cost effective power increasing mods you can do to a car. Anyone know what can be gained on the 2004 Mustangs? :scratch:

Who is going to buy a Flowmaster kit for their new Mustangs? Are you just going to replace the mufflers or are you doing the whole exhaust system? With what model of Flowmaster (or similar company) are you going to go with? How much do the parts/labor cost? Is is possible to replace the whole system with larger diameter pipes?

I plan on putting in different mufflers, but I'm not sure if it's worth replacing the whole system? I will do it myself if it's a bolt on set-up, but will have a local shop do it if welding is required. I know how to weld, but I don't have the equipment. :bang:
Old 10/7/04, 04:23 AM
GT Member

IMO changing mufflers gives a perceived power increase - not necessarily much real HP gain. Since the new cars have rear mufflers, I will drill the internal baffles first to see how that sounds. Then if the sound is not what I want, Magnaflows will follow.
Old 10/7/04, 04:27 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
New stang (gt) has 2.5" mandrel bent Stainless steel from the get go.
You really only need to change out the mufflers/tips at the rear.

Very simple...as they are CLAMPED in.
-remove clamp
-unhook muffler
-hook new muffler in
-clamp
x2

You don't need to replace the whole catback.
While you can, a majority of people won't have to....
Old 10/7/04, 04:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Boomer@October 7, 2004, 6:30 AM
New stang (gt) has 2.5" mandrel bent Stainless steel from the get go.

-remove clamp
-unhook muffler
-hook new muffler in
-clamp
x2

You don't need to replace the whole catback.
While you can, a majority of people won't have to....
Exactly! Replacing the mufflers will give a different sound depending on whether you go with a chambered (FlowMaster) or straight-through (MagnaFlow) design. Another thing that will change the sound dramaticly (sp?) is to have the H-section removed (not the entire pipe) and an X-section welded in its place.
Old 10/7/04, 05:43 AM
GT Member

I had a 94 gt 5speed vert a few years ago. The first thing I did was order a MAC cat back and a new H-section with only one cat on each side. It allowed my lower-end power to increase dramatically and it sounded awesome. The guy I bought the system from said that was the number one problem with Mustangs was the fact that they had 4-6 cats on them. It made a world of a difference on my old one and will be the first thing I change on my new one.
Old 10/7/04, 06:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by MTAS@October 7, 2004, 4:45 AM

Exactly! Replacing the mufflers will give a different sound depending on whether you go with a chambered (FlowMaster) or straight-through (MagnaFlow) design. Another thing that will change the sound dramaticly (sp?) is to have the H-section removed (not the entire pipe) and an X-section welded in its place.
I will wait to see what others sound like before making any mods (If I do any at all). But I do look forward to hearing them.
Old 10/7/04, 06:33 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All signs point to me installing Borla Stingers,

as for an X-pipe swap, we'll see... The exhaust system great right out of the box, so I don't think huge gains will be made by swapping it out.
Old 10/7/04, 06:43 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Boomer@October 7, 2004, 4:30 AM

-remove clamp
-unhook muffler
-hook new muffler in
-clamp
I know the pre-production pics/cutaways show the mufflers as being clamped, but I'd be surprised if this carries through to production. Seems there's too great a risk for leaks. I guess we'll know for sure soon enough.

Rule of thumb as far as sound quality (based on the systems I've heard):

-For a baffled muffler (Flowmaster), go the H-pipe route
-For a straight-through muffler (Magnaflow, Borla, etc.), go the X-pipe route

Also, aftermarket H-pipes have more of a big-block, musclecar sound and tend to give more torque than power (vs. stock). X-pipes give more power than torque (vs. stock)---they also sound better higher in the rev-range.

My $0.02.

Clint
Old 10/7/04, 07:34 AM
I Have No Life

Originally posted by bobdobolina+October 7, 2004, 8:46 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobdobolina @ October 7, 2004, 8:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Boomer@October 7, 2004, 4:30 AM

-remove clamp
-unhook muffler
-hook new muffler in
-clamp
I know the pre-production pics/cutaways show the mufflers as being clamped, but I'd be surprised if this carries through to production. Seems there's too great a risk for leaks. I guess we'll know for sure soon enough.

Clint [/b][/quote]
Really eh?

Checked when I saw the car 2 weeks ago (Production car)
Unless they changed it after the fact....those are the clamps my friends.

Old 10/7/04, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Magnaflow has designed their system to tuck up under as far as it can, the cans are barely noticeable they say
This sounds promising.
Old 10/7/04, 08:50 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Boomer@October 7, 2004, 7:37 AM
those are the clamps my friends.
Clamps are always your friends!
Old 10/7/04, 09:08 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Madhouse@October 7, 2004, 7:51 AM
Magnaflow has designed their system to tuck up under as far as it can, the cans are barely noticeable they say
This sounds promising.
So, Magnaflow must be pretty far along with their mufflers for the '05. Anyone been in contact with Magnaflow to find out an estimated date that they will be ready? I have been contacting Borla... and a guy there told me that if they had anything before the end of the year, he would be surprised. :notnice: I need my mufflers/tips before Christmas.
Old 10/7/04, 09:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No warranty issues, but just wait untill you can hear all the aftermarket options yourself. Most companies do exhaust recordings you can hear online once they actually have both the mufflers, and the car to bolt them too. Based on past experience, Bassani always makes the best stuff.
Old 10/7/04, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was considering going with the Flowmaster American Thunder exausts when I get mine, however, I am hearing more and more about Bassani pipes. Supposedly they sound just as good if not better and they stand up to rust and other wear better. Who knows though, NY just took on Califorinia's new emissions laws and that could really throw a wrench in my exhaust system plans.
Old 10/7/04, 09:54 AM
GT Member

I am expecting that the really restrictive part of the exhaust will be found at the exhaust manifolds, collector, and probably the catalytic converter.

I am fairly certain I will replace those items. (YES I will have a cat on the car - I just want one that flows well)
Old 10/7/04, 09:57 AM
Bullitt Member

For me personally, I'm doing exhaust strictly for the sound. I don't think I'll see any hp gain at all from a cat-back, but I'll sound good rolling on the streets.
Old 10/7/04, 10:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by I8URVTEC@October 7, 2004, 10:57 AM
I was considering going with the Flowmaster American Thunder exausts when I get mine, however, I am hearing more and more about Bassani pipes. Supposedly they sound just as good if not better and they stand up to rust and other wear better. Who knows though, NY just took on Califorinia's new emissions laws and that could really throw a wrench in my exhaust system plans.
Bassani does much higher quality stuff, but they do cost bigger bucks. I want pollished mufflers
Old 10/7/04, 10:22 AM
GT Member

Exhaust mods alone on this car won't get huge gains. In the sound department yes but HP wise no. Now if you go a little further...say a CAI set-up and a re-flash of the computer when it's available then yes the combination of exhaust and those other simple adds could make for some nice HP gains. Also, reliability wouldn't suffer with a set-up like this.
Old 10/7/04, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe the tips! I have heard this thing in person twice now and it's sounds great!
Old 10/7/04, 11:08 AM
I Have No Life

Borla stingers....no question....

I'll have them probably before I have the car

Quick Reply: Who's replacing their exhaust?