2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Who has had their tint scratched by opening and

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/06, 08:01 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GhostTX@January 18, 2006, 12:55 PM
Wow, cool.

Do you have the name of the vendor and possibly a part number? I'd like to try the same thing, then.
I have to go to the dealer on sat and will try to get you this info
Old 1/20/06, 12:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by GhostTX@January 17, 2006, 2:56 AM
Went to the dealer today (er...acutally, Monday) and they said that Ford does know about the problem with the runners (the window thingy that's scratching the tint). The service guy said thay Ford has told dealers to not install aftermarket tint until they get a fix. (um...I dunno..give us a runner with felt?). He suggest that I hang tight until Ford has a solution, get it fixed, then get my tint redone.

So...according to the dealer, Ford knows about the issue and is working on it.
That's good to know Ghost! Thanks, my windows look awful and I've had the tint replaced once already. Hope they come up with something soon.
Old 1/22/06, 08:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the dealer is blowing smoke to me.
Old 1/22/06, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's your dad doing this weekend? LOL
Old 1/22/06, 11:16 AM
Retired Tms Staff

merged topics regarding the seal scratching the window/tint.
Old 1/29/06, 10:43 PM
V6 Member

Where do i get any of the felt or any other liner without paying too much at a tint shop?
Old 1/30/06, 09:01 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by cobragman1215@January 30, 2006, 1:46 AM
Where do i get any of the felt or any other liner without paying too much at a tint shop?
Good luck.It seems noone can locate any.if the tint shop has it,get it.
Old 1/31/06, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Back in Dec. dealer told me to bring car in for retint this Spring. Then I had only short,maybe 1-1 1/2" scratches. Today I noticed one that goes top to bottom! Hope Ford finds a real fix before my retint.
Old 1/31/06, 04:52 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by 65205@January 31, 2006, 5:20 PM
Back in Dec. dealer told me to bring car in for retint this Spring. Then I had only short,maybe 1-1 1/2" scratches. Today I noticed one that goes top to bottom! Hope Ford finds a real fix before my retint.
your real fix is felt
Old 1/31/06, 07:23 PM
GT Member

It seems somebody would know where to get this stuff. I'm going to try the felt from Micheal's craft store to see if it helps, but afraid to pull my scratched tint off in case it is protecting the glass.
Old 1/31/06, 08:44 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by the cable guy@January 31, 2006, 10:26 PM
It seems somebody would know where to get this stuff. I'm going to try the felt from Micheal's craft store to see if it helps, but afraid to pull my scratched tint off in case it is protecting the glass.
tell your dealer about the problem with a typed letter to the owners and tell them how disgusted you are.ford paid for mine with install
Old 2/1/06, 03:07 PM

hmm...seems like alot of people on here are talkin out of their hineys about the felt and tint issue. i have this same prob and i got my 05 gt 4 months ago. here's the deal...ford designed the windows on the 05 with the felt on the outside and a hard rubber on the inside. why did they do this? who the heck knows. they are idiots. it's pretty obvious that the felt should be on the inside to keep from scratching the window tint, and the hard rubber on the outside to keep water from getting down inside the window. i got my windows tinted and immediately they started scratching. i went to the ford dealer i bought the car from and they said sorry, not covered under waranty. i have since switched to a different dealer for my service. the new dealer is willing to work with me to resolve the issue, which will probably be me buying some felt and them gluing it on to the inside window seal. then i'll have to get my windows retinted. the problem everyone is having is that that crappy inside seal is just soft enough for little pieces of sand and dirt to embed in it. ford doesn't make window seals, they come from a vendor. so maybe the vendor got it wrong, or they were just trying to save some money. i checked out the 2006 stangs and they have the same part, so there hasn't been a replacement part put out for it, and there probably won't be. my service center called detroit and they said that since the car comes from the factory with no tint on the windows that it's not a defect. so don't expect to see an oem replacement part. easiest fix is go to the fabric store or online, by some felt and take it to your dealer and have them use some liquid polymer to glue it the inside seal. if anyone has come up with a similar solution or something better i'd love to here it.
Old 4/24/06, 07:27 PM
GT Member

Just went to the local dealer to have the front end bushings done for the popping. I have been through the window issue with them and told it was not their problem. The service manager told his adviser not to discuss the issue with me and told me that they have a mechanic with an 05 GT who tinited his windows last year; he says his have no scratches and he frequently rolls his windows down.
Well, today when picking up my car I walked by that mechanic's car and happened to look at the windows. You can hardly see out the bottom 6 " of his side windows through the scratches. Obviously somebody is less than honest. I believe since this is not a gravy job at flat rate they just don't want to deal with it, so it's more convenient to lie about it and tell people they have never seen this happen before.
Thanks to those who suggested the felt. I believe that will solve the problem and was easy to install; however it is apparently too difficult for a Ford 'Master' technician to figure out. I cannot believe how hard that lip is that rubs on the window and I see no way to avoid scratching even the glass after a while with no felt. Ford should be forced to replace that piece with a felt covered seal.
Regardless, avoid Sloan Ford in Columbia, TN like the plague. They say "we will do anything to earn your business but deceive you". Don't believe it for a second...
Old 4/24/06, 11:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I now have scratches on both windows and I don't think it is dirt. The scratches are in the identical spot on both windows. It's a mirror image! How does dirt collect in the exact same spot on both windows and scratch both the same length? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 4/26/06, 11:54 AM
Cobra Member

Well, I don't have tint on my windows but I have light scratch drag marks on both windows and just the other day when I was putting my window up something scratched a 1 1/2'' cut into the top of the window on the drivers side. Took it to dealer and guess what..Ford denied the claim to fix the window. great........hope this gets fixed soon.
Old 4/26/06, 09:26 PM
GTR Member

you guys are buckling like a set of bad knees [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon24.gif[/img] ...Get a letter written to the owner of the dealership and voice your dissatisfaction.It worked for me and will probably work for you.Just be courteous but firm and mention something about your whole family being ford customers and how you would hate to see them buy from a rival manufacturer [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/27/06, 09:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I've called Ford Customer Service and lodged a complaint. I think if enough of us complained about this Ford may do something.

Its not a simple fix for Ford though...that runner is one serious extruded piece of rubber. It seems like the "normal" felt runners on windows is a sheet metal/rubber/felt hybrid...so to do something comparable....I could see the cost issues.

Again though, call Ford and complain. I can't believe they are ignoring this issue.
Old 7/28/06, 12:51 PM

Thanks for everything guys and gals! Keep that tint unscratched!!
Old 10/1/09, 01:35 PM

We have upgraded out Moleskin felt with an even hight percentage of acrylic resin.

Once our felt is applied it won't come off!

http://www.tintprotector.com/ford
Old 10/1/09, 01:45 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

My tint is scratched on both sides, though its worse on the passenger. A dealer told me they could install some felt on it(for a ridiculous price, of course. This wasn't my dealer.) then retint. They also suggested the felt would not fix the problem entirely and the tint would eventually get scratched up again, though not as bad.

Quick Reply: Who has had their tint scratched by opening and