2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

When are you getting your first oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/04, 07:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking 1500 mi. and going Mobil 1...what do you think?
Old 11/24/04, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I going to do it by 500 miles and keep recommended oil. Some say don't go to Mobil one right away, let everything seat first.
Old 11/24/04, 07:39 PM
Cobra Member

omg. getting it done at 500 is overkill.
Old 11/24/04, 07:43 PM
GT Member

That might be overkill, but my dad has changed his oil at 2k for years and has two cars with over 200k still running. The way he looks at it, oil is the cheapest part of your car's expenses (gas, repairs, insurance, etc).
Old 11/24/04, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not going to change the oil every 500 miles. The question was your first oil change. I've heard many comment on getting the metal filings out that occur in the first 20 miles as well as any contaniments from the factory. After the first its every 3,000. If it ends up being over kill I've wasted $25.00, cheap piece of mind if you ask me.
Old 11/24/04, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

LimeJohnny,
I can't remember why, but a lot of people say you should wait a few oil changes to switch to synthetic, if the car originally came with regular oil. It might have something to do with breaking in the motor.
Old 11/24/04, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

B) 1st change between 500 to 1,000 miles
2nd change around 1,500 to 2, 000
3rd at 5, 000 affing Mobil 1 and a K&N Filter
Subsequnet changes w/Mobil 1 at 5,000 to 6,500 intervals and recharging the air filter.

Flush transmission and differential every 50K. I use Redline or Mobile but the jury is still out on using synthetic in these components. Only been using synthetic in these components on last 3 vehicles( 250K sold, 173K current, 149K sold).

Flush brake fluid and radiator every year (put Water Wetter in the radiator on day one).

Been doing it this way for years. Primary ride just turned 173, 000 in less than 4 years (thats about 15 years in truck years). Wife and I do/did a lot of driving and had several go over 200,000, one over 700,000, following this routiine with no major engine malfunctions.

Cheapest insurance you can get for an internal combustion engine and drivetrain.
Old 11/24/04, 08:55 PM
GT Member

Thanks woody. With your track record, I'll be following a stringent schedule such as yours soon enouch
Old 11/24/04, 09:43 PM
Banned

Hate it break it to the mobil1 guys, but they don't make the right stuff for the car. (5W-20)
Old 11/24/04, 10:30 PM
GT Member

So do you know something that ExxonMobil doesn't? Hmmm...???

As per their press release from two years ago:

Mobil 1 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil With SuperSyn Recommended for Newer Honda, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Vehicles

FAIRFAX, Virginia (November 5, 2002) -- ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties today announced the introduction of a new 0W-20 viscosity grade of Mobil 1®, the world's leading synthetic motor oil. The new Mobil 1 0W-20 with SuperSyn™ anti-wear technology will provide excellent fuel economy while delivering exceptional cleanliness and wear protection in high-temperature, hot-running engines. It is designed specifically to benefit cars that have used 5W-20 viscosity applications, such as newer Honda, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars, trucks and SUVs (sport utility vehicles), and whose owners wish to use fully synthetic products.

"Mobil 1 0W-20 raises the bar on motor oil performance for newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Honda cars, trucks and SUVs because it protects engines under circumstances where conventional oils can't, while helping improve fuel economy," said Tom Olszewski, group technical leader, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties. "In day-to-day driving or extreme use, cold weather or hot weather, Mobil 1 0W-20 will help deliver unparalleled performance, will improve engine cleanliness, and deliver longer engine life."

"Today's automotive engines are more powerful, more efficient, and last longer, but they are also tougher on the motor oil protecting them," said Marni Mirowitz, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties' passenger vehicle lubricants marketing manager for North America. "Mobil 1 0W-20 will help consumers better protect the investment they have in their cars and get better engine performance out of it at the same time."

Mobil 1 0W-20 is designed specifically for vehicles where 5W-20 or 0W-20 motor oil is recommended. Mobil 1 0W-20 meets the performance requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C153-H and Honda service fill requirements for 5W-20. It exceeds the toughest industry standards, including ILSAC GF-3 and API Service SL, SJ/CF warranty requirements for gasoline and diesel engines. Mobil 1 0W-20 has been tested to be fully compatible with engine seals and is compatible with conventional motor oils.

Mobil 1 0W-20 is recommended for most 1996 and newer Honda Civics; 1998 and newer Honda Accords; 2000 and newer Honda Insights; 2002 and newer Honda CRV and Odyssey vehicles; many 1997 and newer Honda Acuras; and most 2001 and newer Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars, trucks and SUVs.
Old 11/25/04, 02:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

What Lime said..
I won't go into all the details that back him up, but he is right.
If your asking yourself "should I use OEM vs Mobil1" Look at it this way.
It's like asking yourself "What car should I get, the '05 Mustang or that sharp '86 Yugo?"
Old 11/25/04, 04:38 AM
GT Member

First oil change after 2000 to 3000 miles.
Old 11/25/04, 07:28 AM
GT Member

My first job out of college was as a Mechanical Engr. at a large open pit mine operation. I was assigned to investigate why our large haul truck engines were needing rebuild as early as 4000 hours, instead of the much higher industry average above 8000 hours. There were numerous factors - but to make a long story fit here - I'd conclude the most important factor was oil change intervals.

Without extensive oil analysis on a number of mustangs you can't confidently set an interval for changes. It comes down to cost tradeoff and ease of getting it done. And it depends on driving style, average speeds traveled, duration of average trip, climate, filter & oil used....

So, what am I gonna do? I'll keep checking color and texture of the oil and probably change it for the first time around 1000 miles, and every 2500 after that with the 5W-20 oil specified. I'd rather change it more often at a lower cost than change to synthetic. In any case, I'd change it regardless of mileage before putting it the garage for the worst of the winter.
Old 11/25/04, 07:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by upstate@November 24, 2004, 8:40 PM
I going to do it by 500 miles and keep recommended oil. Some say don't go to Mobil one right away, let everything seat first.
He is quite right. You need to let the motor seat itself and get all the parts to mesh before going to a super click motor oil like mobil 1. I run mobil 1 on my cars and bikes. Even harley came out and said to wait at least 500 miles before changing to synthetic. I would think that 1000-2000 miles on a car would be fine depending on how long it takes you to get there. If you just got the car and park it for the winter, you may only have 1 or 200 miles on it but oil does get water and gunk build up in it just sitting there so it's good to change it in the spring when you get ready to take it out and in the winter just before you put it to bed. If you can, try and run it once in a while and let it heat up for about 10 minutes to get the moisture out. Remember, it may be a waste of money (some people think it is) but going synthetic is going to provide a better friction release than regular oil and isn't that what it's all about. Less friction, less wear, longer lasting equipment. Synthetic can be changed every 3000 miles to keep your baby safe and clean.
Old 11/25/04, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mustang Ricky@November 25, 2004, 8:31 AM

So, what am I gonna do? I'll keep checking color and texture of the oil
And what is the purpose of this?

Bottom line. if you use a mineral base oil, OEM, Valvoline, Castrol or any other brand you can name, even Ford, or even the oil that Ford recommends you are doing your engine a dis-service. Fully synthetic is the only thing to use.
Top 2 are Mobil1 of coarse, and Amzoil.
Old 11/25/04, 09:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Has anyone tried Slick 50 engine treatment? I have never tried it and Ive heard many different stories, both good and bad.
Old 11/25/04, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by flight96@November 25, 2004, 10:25 AM
Has anyone tried Slick 50 engine treatment? I have never tried it and Ive heard many different stories, both good and bad.
NO NO NO
Slcik 50 is a teflon based product.
The teflon will do wonders on sensors.
Not only that it is a worthless POS.
Old 11/25/04, 10:07 AM
Banned

Originally posted by LimeJohnny@November 25, 2004, 1:33 AM

Mobil 1 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil With SuperSyn Recommended for Newer Honda, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Vehicles

FAIRFAX, Virginia (November 5, 2002) -- ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties today announced the introduction of a new 0W-20 viscosity grade of Mobil 1®, the world's leading synthetic motor oil. The new Mobil 1 0W-20 with SuperSyn™ anti-wear technology will provide excellent fuel economy while delivering exceptional cleanliness and wear protection in high-temperature, hot-running engines. It is designed specifically to benefit cars that have used 5W-20 viscosity applications, such as newer Honda, Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars, trucks and SUVs (sport utility vehicles), and whose owners wish to use fully synthetic products.

"Mobil 1 0W-20 raises the bar on motor oil performance for newer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Honda cars, trucks and SUVs because it protects engines under circumstances where conventional oils can't, while helping improve fuel economy," said Tom Olszewski, group technical leader, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties. "In day-to-day driving or extreme use, cold weather or hot weather, Mobil 1 0W-20 will help deliver unparalleled performance, will improve engine cleanliness, and deliver longer engine life."

"Today's automotive engines are more powerful, more efficient, and last longer, but they are also tougher on the motor oil protecting them," said Marni Mirowitz, ExxonMobil Lubricants & Specialties' passenger vehicle lubricants marketing manager for North America. "Mobil 1 0W-20 will help consumers better protect the investment they have in their cars and get better engine performance out of it at the same time."

Mobil 1 0W-20 is designed specifically for vehicles where 5W-20 or 0W-20 motor oil is recommended. Mobil 1 0W-20 meets the performance requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C153-H and Honda service fill requirements for 5W-20. It exceeds the toughest industry standards, including ILSAC GF-3 and API Service SL, SJ/CF warranty requirements for gasoline and diesel engines. Mobil 1 0W-20 has been tested to be fully compatible with engine seals and is compatible with conventional motor oils.

Mobil 1 0W-20 is recommended for most 1996 and newer Honda Civics; 1998 and newer Honda Accords; 2000 and newer Honda Insights; 2002 and newer Honda CRV and Odyssey vehicles; many 1997 and newer Honda Acuras; and most 2001 and newer Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars, trucks and SUVs.
Regardless, its still a different weight then what is recommended. They can make a press release saying that the 0W-20 will raise the dead. Doesn't mean its true. Press releases are announcements made by a company. Whatever, get the 0W-20 if you want. But I'd still stick with amsoil or someone else that makes 5W-20.
Old 11/25/04, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

NO NO NO
Slcik 50 is a teflon based product.
The teflon will do wonders on sensors.
Not only that it is a worthless POS

Alrighty then.... ....Tell me what you REALLY think!!
Old 11/25/04, 10:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Grantsdale+November 25, 2004, 11:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grantsdale @ November 25, 2004, 11:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LimeJohnny@November 25, 2004, 1:33 AM

Regardless, its still a different weight then what is recommended. They can make a press release saying that the 0W-20 will raise the dead. Doesn't mean its true. Press releases are announcements made by a company. Whatever, get the 0W-20 if you want. But I'd still stick with amsoil or someone else that makes 5W-20. [/b][/quote]
This has been discussed extensively on the Mazda 6 board that I frequent. 5W20 is also the recommended oil the Mazda 6 3.0L V6. Many of the owners on that board send off their oil after an oil change to have a used oil analysis done. Many types of oils have been tested including Mobil 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple, OEM, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc. Based upon the UOAs performed, it was determined that 0W20 Mobil 1 produced the least amount of wear of all the oils tested.

If anyone cars to read the entire 7 page thread (not mention all the links to the UOA sites):

Click Here

BTW, from a warranty standpoint, Mazda accepts Mobil 1 0W20 as equivalent to 5W20 so why wouldn't Ford?

Quick Reply: When are you getting your first oil change?