2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Unlocking with Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/05, 11:39 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think about this every time that I open my Mustang. My wife has a 2006 G6 and when you press unlock on the key fob, the headlights "blink". I just like how it lights up the area around your car when it is dark out. Its also a great indicator that the car has actually received the signal from the fob. Any way to turn the feature on? I looked in the owners manual, but didn't find anything.
Old 10/26/05, 11:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

My all my fords the only indication that you get from the keyless is when you lock it..the amber lights will blink notifiy you its locked
Old 10/26/05, 11:44 AM
GT Member

That explains it....I pretty much own the first Ford in my entire family.....
Old 10/26/05, 01:56 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no feature to turn on, the Mustang simply does not do this. Sure, it would be a nice safety feature at night that the lights would come on.
Old 10/26/05, 02:10 PM
GT Member

Don't the interior lights come on when you hit the unlock button twice?

Jason
Old 10/26/05, 02:13 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jskwarek@October 26, 2005, 4:13 PM
Don't the interior lights come on when you hit the unlock button twice?

Jason
yes
Old 10/26/05, 02:47 PM
GT Member

Yeah, they come on but are not very bright. I agree with John and think that it is a nice security feature.
Old 10/26/05, 03:25 PM
GT Member

Not to hijack a thread but what is the range of your key fob? Mine seems to have a very short distance, maybe 20 feet.
Old 10/26/05, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

ON my grand am the taillights and headlights flash twice, another feature I like on the grand am is when driving at night and puling up to the house the lights stay on for about 20 seconds. gives me enough light to see my door since I always enter the house through the garage. Wish the mustang had that !!!
Old 10/26/05, 04:03 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I think it would be a great idea for our lights to flash or to stay on until the key was put in the ignition.

Originally posted by dleal00@October 26, 2005, 2:28 PM
Not to hijack a thread but what is the range of your key fob? Mine seems to have a very short distance, maybe 20 feet.

There is an endless range on your key fob. Don't believe me...

Try this out.

1. Have someone take your key fob. Have them go anywhere. (5 miles away, 10 miles away, in your backyard, etc...) Make sure they have a cell phone.

2. You go out to your car. And call your friend with your key fob.

3. Point your phone at the door and have your friend point the key fob into his phone.

4. Have your frined hit the unlock button and "IT WORKS!!!"

So ultimately, the range on your key fob is an far as your wireless provider will allow you to go!!!

I had recieved an email at work one day and decided to try it. It works with supposedly all cars with key fobs. I know it worked on my car, my wife's car, and another co-worker's car.

Try it and post here with your results!!!

Disclaimer - I, S197 GT, am not responsible if your car blows up during this experiment.
Old 10/26/05, 04:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by S197 GT@October 26, 2005, 4:06 PM
I think it would be a great idea for our lights to flash or to stay on until the key was put in the ignition.

Try this out.

1. Have someone take your key fob. Have them go anywhere. (5 miles away, 10 miles away, in your backyard, etc...) Make sure they have a cell phone.

3. Point your phone at the door and have your friend point the key fob into his phone.

So ultimately, the range on your key fob is an far as your wireless provider will allow you to go!!!
I had recieved an email at work one day and decided to try it. It works with supposedly all cars with key fobs. I know it worked on my car, my wife's car, and another co-worker's car.

Disclaimer - I, S197 GT, am not responsible if your car blows up during this experiment.

Oh geez... hopefully you're kidding.

If not, then check out the other thread on here about the "unlocking via cell phone" topic. For anyone wondering, it absolutely does NOT work. It's not possible.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....pic=30280&st=0

As far as the lights flashing when unlocking/locking, and the headlights staying on for 15, 30 seconds after turning the car off - other than Ford, just about everyone else has had these features for years, so Ford will probably start including them in another 5 years or so (just like satellite radio and navigation systems).
Old 10/26/05, 04:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would prefer to NOT have the headlights come on...draws too much attention to the car at night...I don't need to announce to the universe that my car is now unlocked
Old 10/26/05, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 06GT@October 26, 2005, 6:21 PM
I would prefer to NOT have the headlights come on...draws too much attention to the car at night...I don't need to announce to the universe that my car is now unlocked
My thoughts EXACTLY, 06GT.
Old 10/26/05, 04:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dleal00@October 26, 2005, 3:28 PM

right on bro------mine has a range of about the same
Old 10/26/05, 07:45 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by S197 GT@October 26, 2005, 4:06 PM

Try this out.

Yeah...in fact, Santa and the Easter Bunny will fly out of your hiney and unlock the car for you. This does not work, anyone that thinks it does is a moron.
Old 10/26/05, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RMac@October 26, 2005, 4:13 PM
Oh geez... hopefully you're kidding.

If not, then check out the other thread on here about the "unlocking via cell phone" topic. For anyone wondering, it absolutely does NOT work. It's not possible.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....pic=30280&st=0
As far as the lights flashing when unlocking/locking, and the headlights staying on for 15, 30 seconds after turning the car off - other than Ford, just about everyone else has had these features for years, so Ford will probably start including them in another 5 years or so (just like satellite radio and navigation systems).
The lights do stay on for a short time on Fords with automatic headlights.
Old 10/27/05, 06:26 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Patience@October 26, 2005, 5:34 PM
right on bro------mine has a range of about the same
Mine usually unlocks the driver's door fine, but when I press it again quickly to unlock the passenger door, it usually don't work.
Old 10/27/05, 06:58 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by OBleedingMe@October 26, 2005, 6:34 PM
My thoughts EXACTLY, 06GT.
I'd just like it if SOMETHING on the exterior of the car acknowledged the unlocking - maybe the turn signals flashing one longer flash or so.

IIRC the F150's headlights turn on and stay on (and the bed light) when you hit unlock if it's night time. but i think that's because they have automatic light settings.

my last car the turn signals flashed twice for unlock and once for lock (clever germans matching the flashes to the syllables of the words!). it also gave a muted honk with the first press of lock (i hate the loud horn but i like to hear something).

ok now i'm just complaining!

kris
Old 10/27/05, 07:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here's something that actually does work for increasing range:

Hold your remote pressed up against the underside of your jaw (the soft part), with your mouth open. It won't increase the range a ton, but it does work to amplify the signal a bit.

Looks dumb though, so I rarely do it.
Old 10/27/05, 07:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Rondosa@October 27, 2005, 7:01 AM
I'd just like it if SOMETHING on the exterior of the car acknowledged the unlocking - maybe the turn signals flashing one longer flash or so.
Ditto.

Sure, the interiors come on...but with a little ambient light (street laps, per say) and window tint, you can't see the interior lights when they are on. It'd be nice to really be sure the car has been unlocked. Just flash all the ambers.

Quick Reply: When Unlocking with Key Fob