2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

when to jump ship

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/04, 11:49 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a new GT in mid-November. Local dealer said Feb. 1 would be the likely delivery date. 10 weeks seemed fine at the time.

Yesterday, the car my GT will replace sold the first day the ad ran, at an outrageous price. I'd thought we would have it for at least a few more weeks.

So I checked in with the dealer. He has a DORA but nothing else. He says there's just one Mustang customer order from his dealership in front of us -- but then says a February delivery is now "unlikely." The priority code is 20.

This isn't a small dealership -- says its the largest in the NW -- and the salesman is one we've bought several cars from (over the phone at x-plan).

3+ months of being a one-car household may be more than we can take. I could buy a beater, but would rather not have another car to get rid of.

Is my salesman just trying to keep my expectations real, or could it possibly take until March for a mid-November order to be filled?

Has anyone else canceled a dealer order and bought elsewhere? I gave the dealer a $1,000 deposit that I wouldn't want to lose, but I'm rapidly becoming less picky about the color.
Old 12/11/04, 12:02 PM
GT Member

I will be cancelling my order. My contract said the delivery date should be 12/23. My production date got set back to 12/20. So I don't think I will get my car until min january. A different dealer has one that matches my specs - minus the airbags and anti-theft. I have to decide today whethter to take it.

I am fairly sure I can get my 500 deposit back.
Old 12/11/04, 12:04 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got my vin yesterday and I would guess you should get yours next friday .I don't have a build date as of yet but I'm going to check back next friday to see if I have one and that will be the last friday before plant shut down.But the end of feb first of march sounds correct and there is no major shortages of parts at this point (thanks Kapro) .So it is possible to come in sonner ,if you can wait the first 2 weeks of jan will let you know where you stand.
Old 12/11/04, 12:08 PM
GT Member

if you can wait the first 2 weeks of jan will let you know where you stand.
What do you mean?
Old 12/11/04, 12:10 PM
legacy Tms Member

If he doesn't have a vin number or build date by then .
Old 12/11/04, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have mine but have also noticed that most of the smaller dealerships around town have at least 3 each...
And most of them are optioned out...
I'd start checking around if your getting flustered.
Check autotrader.com... and then start making some calls... some will be taken.... but many more are sitting there waiting for a home.... you can even check by mileage from your location.
Old 12/11/04, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any possibilities of doing a computer search for a similar mustang in your part of the country and your dealer arranging a trade so you can get a car sooner? I know it's done here all the time because it's what I do now that I am retired.
Old 12/11/04, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any possibilities of doing a computer search for a similar mustang in your part of the country and your dealer arranging a trade so you can get a car sooner? I know it's done here all the time because it's what I do now that I am retired.
Old 12/11/04, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 12/11/04, 12:23 PM
legacy Tms Member

I know the Canadian ford site under locate dealer breaks down for some of them as to what cars (mustangs included) that they have on there lot's with spec's on each car (color, options,etc).
Old 12/11/04, 12:27 PM
GT Member

That is how I am getting mine. Having my dealer trade his GT for the one I want
Old 12/11/04, 12:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lynx4Ben@December 11, 2004, 12:05 PM
I will be cancelling my order. My contract said the delivery date should be 12/23. My production date got set back to 12/20. So I don't think I will get my car until min january. A different dealer has one that matches my specs - minus the airbags and anti-theft. I have to decide today whethter to take it.

I am fairly sure I can get my 500 deposit back.
When I ordered my car on 10/20 I wasn't given a delivery date, only that it would be 6 weeks. When I picked up my VIN and DORA on 11/4 I was told the car had a 10/27 build date, but when I checked with customer service they told me my car was on a Temporary Delay in Production, and the car remained in that status until the end of November when I got a build date week of 12/13.

I did consider buying a car from dealer stock but that wasn't an option as I'm getting mine at X-Plan and all dealers I've talked to tell me that X-Plan isn't available on the new Mustangs.

I stopped at one dealer a couple weeks ago and they still have stickers on their Mustangs listing a $5000 "market adjustment", so I would rather wait a little longer and get the exact car I want at a good price then buy one that has fewer options then I want at a higher price.
Old 12/11/04, 12:39 PM
GT Member

I think they would give your deposit back since it will not be hard for them to sell your car to someone else when it comes in.
I agree with people who said look for one with what you want that has already been built.
Old 12/11/04, 01:02 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm thinking of canceling mine. I ordered on 11/8 and my order still hasn't been pulled.
Ripstang ordered on 11/12 and already has a VIN.
There are two others on here that ordered the SAME day I did and one was built last week (EXACT same order right down to the spoiler delete), the other is scheduled for this week.
VERY discouraging.

Jason
Old 12/11/04, 01:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by StangNut@December 11, 2004, 2:05 PM
I'm thinking of canceling mine. I ordered on 11/8 and my order still hasn't been pulled.
There are two others on here that ordered the SAME day I did and one was built last week (EXACT same order right down to the spoiler delete), the other is scheduled for this week.
VERY discouraging.

Jason
Jason
Join the club!! I ordered on 10-13 and all I have is a DORA and a promise that it will be pulled by Ford as soon as possible. I'm just about ready to start looking elsewhere. :bang:
Old 12/11/04, 01:33 PM
V6 Member

stangnut, I ordered mine on 11/08/04 and mine is "clean and unscheduled". I tried to check status last night but the site was closed down till Mon. Hang in there I think after the holidays things will start to roll
Old 12/11/04, 01:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by aremann2@December 11, 2004, 11:36 PM
stangnut, I ordered mine on 11/08/04 and mine is "clean and unscheduled". I tried to check status last night but the site was closed down till Mon. Hang in there I think after the holidays things will start to roll
What site are you going to, to check the status of your order. I am really hoping that I get a build date in the next couple of days because when I get back to the States in the Middle of January I won't have a vehicle. Mine was ordered at a priority 30. However I remember reading posts that the priority really doesn't matter a whole lot????
Old 12/11/04, 01:49 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Treadhead+December 11, 2004, 2:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Treadhead @ December 11, 2004, 2:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-StangNut@December 11, 2004, 2:05 PM
VERY discouraging.

Jason
Join the club!! I ordered on 10-13 and all I have is a DORA and a promise that it will be pulled by Ford as soon as possible. I'm just about ready to start looking elsewhere. :bang: [/b][/quote]
We're in the same boat. All I have is a DORA and my dealer's telling me the same thing.
Old 12/11/04, 02:09 PM

Man, this is a real depressing thread (even more so to those of us who haven't even ordered yet).

Best of luck to you.
Old 12/11/04, 02:15 PM
V6 Member

not trying to kill anyone's buzz; just wanted to know how to get out of the order if i find another i like somewhere else. march is a long ways away if you're wrestling your family for the keys to the only car

Quick Reply: when to jump ship