2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

When did you know?

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/05, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998....2000, whenever the word came out about a new style B)
Old 6/21/05, 12:07 PM

When my wife's '93 Mustang GT needed the front end rebuilt right after we had the transmission rebuilt, I decided a new '05 would be really nice. (Of course, we did repair the '93.)

-- Roger
http://mustang.jadebox.com/
Old 6/21/05, 12:43 PM
V6 Member

I have always been Mustang fan, my parents had 71 vert., when I was 6. The first new car I bought myself was a 88 GT which I traded for a 90 GT vert. I lost intrest when the 94's came out {94-04 are not my favorite} so I bought a used 92 GT in 98 and drove for a couple of years. When I saw the 05 concept I liked it but figured Ford would screw it up like they did in 94. On Jan.2 04 I walked into the local wal-mart to the magazine rack and there was the Feb. 04 issue of Hot Rod with the 05 on the cover it was love at first sight. Ordered June 10 04, car came in Oct. 13 04, mine is the first one I saw in person and so for the only one I've drove are ridden in.
Old 6/21/05, 12:47 PM
I'm people, and I like.

I saw the concept car on a Mag. and it caught my fancy. Went online and searched for more info, and stumbled into this website. From then on I was a Mustang fanatic.
Old 6/21/05, 01:03 PM
GT Member

I had seen the concept pictures on the web like everyone else and thought holy crap. THAT is what the mustang SHOULD look like. So the day I heard they were out I made a habit of running a Forddirect inventory search of all the local dealerships in search of a silver GT each morning. A couple days into it a single silver GT appeared at one dealership not too far away. So I called the sales dept and said "I'd like to come by and check out that silver 05 Mustang GT you have" The salespersons exact words were "Hold on let me check for it" and after a few minutes later "Well sir, we don't have a silver 05 GT on the lot, we've never had one, and we don't show any to be delivered any time soon."

2 days later... ring ring "Sir, you know that silver GT you asked about the other day?" "Well it just showed up" "...and since you asked about it first I will hold on to it if you can get in today." (Later, I was told 15 people offered to buy it before I got there)

Everything seemed to fall into place... and the test drive sealed the deal. The rest is history.
Old 6/21/05, 01:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I lost track of the S197 after the concept came out. I was pretty busy and convinced a new car was just not an option for me.

Last December I came across somebody congratulating a Ford engineer on another forum about the new Mustangs and how cool they looked. I decided to start checking out the S197 again and found this site.

Just before New Year's 2005 I wandered into a Ford dealership and basically had to have one. I also realized how aFORDable the V6 models were and MAYBE I could talk my wife into a new car for me. And the rest is history...
Old 6/21/05, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

When my wife was kind enough to say "*&%**%^$... all right, you're driving me nuts, buy the **** Mustang and quit talking about it 24 hours a day ..." I love my wife She is so understanding
Old 6/21/05, 01:46 PM
Bullitt Member

The funny part is, I knew the moment I saw one, but I just don't remember when that was.

It was like, once I learned about/heard about/saw it, I had always known and always wanted one. It changed everything for me that quickly and completely.

Prior to that, I had wanted a Miata or Spyder for years. Sometime early last year that migrated toward a Z or Celica coupe, and, then, at some point, somewhere, I was struck by lightning - and I was getting a Mustang (or going to Disneyland, or something like that.)!
Old 6/21/05, 01:55 PM
V6 Member

Let me start by saying I have been a Mustang nut since I was 16, nearly 20 years ago. My uncle had a sick '69 coupe with a 351W. The thing ran 12.5s 1/4's with slicks and I just had to have one. Since then I have owned several classics (see sig.) The problem was that I got a job in Silicon Valley and the 70 miles of commuting were not working out in the old Mustangs. So I purchased my first new Mustang, an '02 black GT. I really liked the car, but it was just not the same as the classics and definately lacked in the style department. I saw the magazine articles and some online articles but really tried to avoid really checking them out because I knew if I did I would have to get one. I was successfull until about the start of April when I needed to bring my stang in for service. I didn't have a ride and had to wait in the waiting room for 2 hours. Wouldn't you know it they had an '05 black GT with bullitts and IUP sitting inside next to the waiting area. After looking at that thing closely for 2 hours there was no doubt, I had a new torch red in my hands two weeks later (got lucky on a cancelled order).

Pocketbook is still in shock, but you only live once! Now I have a new Mustang that feels like a classic and all is well

Doug
Old 6/21/05, 01:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ManEHawke@June 21, 2005, 2:20 AM
I saw the blue drawing of what was to be the next Mustang, and immediatly started saving, not knowing if I would make, but I tried. I was 14 then.

This photo is what convinced me. I saw this same photo back before '03 and thought "okay, when that baby comes out, we're switchin".
Old 6/21/05, 02:33 PM
GT Member

I never really got blown away by the auto show pix of the retro Mustang. But when I saw the first one in-person - a black GT - I was blown away. Then I saw it in the cool colors - especially Legend Lime, Windveil Blue and Redfire - and knew that I would get one soon!
Old 6/21/05, 04:09 PM

When I saw the first one, I thought to myself "They finally got it right." I had all but given up hope ever owning a mustang because I only liked the old style. The late 90's models where a vast improvement over those 80's hatchbacks but still not what I thought the car should be.

After seeing it I still didn't really think it was a realistic purchase for me, I had assumed as sweet as they look that the base models probably started in the mid 20's.

I was in full tilt searching for a new truck and talking about buying a Harley. My wife doesn't mind me owning a motorcycle...she just doesn't want to pay for any of it. So in her sneaky caniving ways she took me by a Ford dealership one Sunday morning "Just to check out the new mustangs" At that moment when I realized you could get a sweet ride for low 20's or even below 20 I was sold.

We ordered one 5 days later.

She's a sneaky but very sweet wife.

Originally posted by Dark Horse@June 20, 2005, 3:50 PM
I had been e-mailing Art Hyde back in 2001 about the "new" Mustang. During several exchanges of e-mails I told him what I'd like it to be (going into pretty deep detail) and he told me not to worry that I was "right on target" with the upcoming '05. It was just a matter of waiting to see the production model which only confirmed I wanted one.