2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel appearance for the long term

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/06, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am undecided upon which wheels to order for my future Mustang. I like the 18" polished Bullitts the best, but I am a little concerned about how the finish will hold up over the long term. I would consider any of the four available GT wheels. I am curious as to how well all four wheels are holding up on your stang. Do you find that the finish is easily scratched or otherwise blemished? My previous experience tells me that painted aluminum holds up better than machined aluminum. I know it might be a little early to tell for the Fanblades and the 18" polished Bullitts.
Old 1/4/06, 10:20 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of the aluminum wheels are clearcoated, so the most important thing is how you take care of them. Most importantly, cleaning them on a reguar basis with a non-abrasive cleaner (I like to put a coat of wax on my bullitts). Keeping brake dust off them, and keeping from clanging the wheels off a curb are critical to their longevity.
Old 1/4/06, 10:29 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Just don't drive those pretty polished wheels around during a Massachusetts winter
Old 1/4/06, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@January 4, 2006, 1:32 PM
Just don't drive those pretty polished wheels around during a Massachusetts winter
That's what the Pilot is for! I have no plans to drive the Mustang in the rain for that matter!
Old 1/4/06, 11:11 AM
GTR Member

I have the blades and keep them maticulously clean,yet I'm starting to see small scratches here and there
Old 1/4/06, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@January 4, 2006, 1:23 PM
All of the aluminum wheels are clearcoated, so the most important thing is how you take care of them. Most importantly, cleaning them on a reguar basis with a non-abrasive cleaner (I like to put a coat of wax on my bullitts). Keeping brake dust off them, and keeping from clanging the wheels off a curb are critical to their longevity.
Just like most people here, I take very good care of my things, some would say I am obsessive, but even with the best of care and intentions, somethings "wear" better over the long term. Just like a silver car will "wear" better than a black car. It's not that the silver paint doesn't have swirl marks and scratches, its just that you don't see them as easily and so it appears to hold up better over the long term.
Old 1/4/06, 11:28 AM
Big Falken Tires

Clean them and keep an eye on them and oyu will be fine. Also, American Racing makes a great wheel wax to protect your wheels! Good stuff!
Old 1/4/06, 11:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Put em here for best results.

Old 1/4/06, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Boltzman@January 4, 2006, 2:14 PM
I have the blades and keep them maticulously clean,yet I'm starting to see small scratches here and there
First off, sorry to hear that, but thanks for the response, this is the kind of information that I am looking for.
Old 1/4/06, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Stoenr@January 4, 2006, 2:45 PM
Put em here for best results.

Thanks man, if only I knew how to add those, wait I found em ...
Old 1/4/06, 12:10 PM
I Have Admin Envy

my bullitts seem to be holding up fine... they are cleaned regularly.

Now that I know how obsessive you are about your car, I am sure you will be fine. The polished bullitts do have the potential to show wear the most, but I am sure that it won't be an issue given the car will be taken care of.
Old 1/4/06, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the biggest error in today's typical fitment of tires to rims is that the rubber does not protrude beyond the rim. Hit one curb and you are buying a new rim! That is a pretty substantial penalty for a slight driver error.
With the stock 17"x8" Bullet rims, 255mm x 50% rubber gives you that little bit of safety cushion. With aspect ratio rubber that is lower (like 40%, 35%, etc.), over-shooting the width of the rim with the rubber becomes increasingly difficult. That is why I really like what I have on my Mustang. A nice classic 50% aspect ratio with a touch of budge not only gives you rim protection, but also keeps your replacement rubber costs down (my tires are $100 each).
The Chrome plating on my Les Schwab Rims is holding up perfectly (at least for the first 4 months anyway).
Old 1/4/06, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Alot of tires now are made with a rim flange protector. hehe technical name.

Its a thicker part of the tire made larger to stick out just past the lip of the rim.
The stock 18" BFG's have these.

They are an alignment techs worst nightmare. Not allowing the aligner heads to crab the rim.
Old 1/5/06, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

nice vette...
Old 1/7/06, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Boltzman+January 4, 2006, 2:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boltzman @ January 4, 2006, 2:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have the blades and keep them maticulously clean,yet I'm starting to see small scratches here and there
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Galaxie
@January 4, 2006, 3:13 PM
my bullitts seem to be holding up fine... they are cleaned regularly.

Now that I know how obsessive you are about your car, I am sure you will be fine. The polished bullitts do have the potential to show wear the most, but I am sure that it won't be an issue given the car will be taken care of.
[/quote]
Any other experiences?
Old 1/7/06, 08:37 PM
GTR Member

hey ray,do you know if chrome will hold up better than clear coated rims??
Old 1/7/06, 09:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Stoenr@January 4, 2006, 7:47 PM
Alot of tires now are made with a rim flange protector. hehe technical name.

Its a thicker part of the tire made larger to stick out just past the lip of the rim.
The stock 18" BFG's have these.

They are an alignment techs worst nightmare. Not allowing the aligner heads to crab the rim.
I like the way the newer tires ensure that both the rim AND the tire now get chunked when you catch a curb
Old 1/8/06, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Boltzman@January 7, 2006, 11:40 PM
hey ray,do you know if chrome will hold up better than clear coated rims??
My past experience with chrome rims is that they are very durable, easy to maintain, and don't scratch. I've had friends buy chrome rims that were clearly neglected with lots of surface rust, and as long as they were not pitted from the rust, they were easily brought back to new with a chrome polish. My only concern for you might be how, living in Tampa, the sand might affect things, but I would say look at the chrome bumpers on older pickup trucks as an example as to what to expect. I doubt it would be an issue, but in any case I would expect the chrome to hold up much better than clear coated rims.
Old 1/8/06, 01:16 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by incomingRPG@January 8, 2006, 11:11 AM
My past experience with chrome rims is that they are very durable, easy to maintain, and don't scratch. I've had friends buy chrome rims that were clearly neglected with lots of surface rust, and as long as they were not pitted from the rust, they were easily brought back to new with a chrome polish. My only concern for you might be how, living in Tampa, the sand might affect things, but I would say look at the chrome bumpers on older pickup trucks as an example as to what to expect. I doubt it would be an issue, but in any case I would expect the chrome to hold up much better than clear coated rims.
I am way far away from the beach so sand is no issue here
Old 2/8/06, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Chuck, I was wondering how many miles you had on your car when you made this post...<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boltzman @ January 4, 2006, 1:14 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote] It seems to me that I read somewhere that you have about 2000 miles on your car? Thanks for the help, I think that I might just order the stock bullitts and go aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Wheel appearance for the long term