2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Whats going on?

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/05, 11:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say its most likely rentals that are then auctioned. I'm sure there are poeple who upgrade their v6 to a GT, but i doubt 18 people would go to one dealer to do so.
Old 9/11/05, 11:34 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by GhostGT@September 11, 2005, 4:39 AM
:notnice: Actually you're wrong. Many Ford dealers...actually MOST dealers have great offers and deals. If you were to take back a V6, it wouldn't be the SMARTEST thing to do...but the way you say it, you would probably scare away anyone thinking of doing this.

Trading in a V6 and getting a GT after a few months, ESPECIALLY lease deals, will only charge you minimally for the early termination, and will only take up your GT monthly payment by a little bit. heck, other dealers even give you a DISCOUNT on the upgraded car you get. My friend traded in his 4 cylinder Altima for the V6 after having it for less than a year. He only paid a little penalty, and got an AWESOME deal on a V6 lease.
Leasing = Fleecing. Leasing for most folks is yet another bad idea. I think we have 2 different POV's here. Leasing is a definite plus for corporations that have to provide vehicles for employees for various reasons. The only benefit the average Joe can get from leasing is if they justify a car for business purporses and can take a deduction for the car on their income tax return. Most folks cannot do this. Heck, these Hertz fleet rentals we've been talking about are likely on corporate lease to Hertz since they are so short term. But for the average Joe, Leasing = Fleecing. Leasing guarantees you will be throwing money away. As you pointed out w/ the Altima <--> V6 'stang upgrade, the only advantage is allowing folks to 'scratch the new car itch' regardless of how much money they are throwing away. IMHO think long & hard about a new car before buying it & purchase it, not lease it. Keep the car up & maintain it and the car will pay for it self -- in the LONG run. Short run means its not possible to trade the car in for a different car like changing a pair of jeans. I took MANY test drives in 05 V6 coupes w/ 5 speed manuals before ordering one & I was able to realize that I would not be afflicted with the dreaded :worship: -- 'GT envy' disease 2 months later.

Lets hope we all don't get GT500 envy next summer And for the 07 year, the V6 coupes are likely getting the new 3.5L duratec motor w/ 40+ more horses ----- always something to think about & resist the 'urge to scratch'.......
Old 9/11/05, 11:37 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tiberius1701@September 11, 2005, 10:15 AM
Yes, rentals are the most common reasoning for the amout of 6's on UC lots.
My store has purchased about a dozen V6 coupes from rental fleets and we turn them over quite easily!

Could it be I sense a little bit of the GT vs. V6 "I am better than you" mentality here. C'mon guys they are both excellent cars and the 6's are by no means slugs.
They are def. not slugs. I have had my v6 two days now and I was leisurly (so I thought) driving on the highway on the way to work yesterday... looked at the speedodomter and it said 80! I thought whoa!! I wasn't even trying to speed... this girl can get away and I wasn't even trying. Gotta be careful with that or mr. police officer won't be too nice... -Marci
Old 9/11/05, 02:45 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally posted by StangGrl@September 11, 2005, 1:40 PM
They are def. not slugs. I have had my v6 two days now and I was leisurly (so I thought) driving on the highway on the way to work yesterday... looked at the speedodomter and it said 80! I thought whoa!! I wasn't even trying to speed... this girl can get away and I wasn't even trying. Gotta be careful with that or mr. police officer won't be too nice... -Marci

You got that right Marci. I got my first ticket in 15 years a couple of months ago in my V6.
Old 9/11/05, 03:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by yur1279+September 11, 2005, 2:56 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yur1279 @ September 11, 2005, 2:56 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>dude, how are you 17 and can afford a GT with those mods, while beeing in college full time???
[/b]

I have worked, saved money, not spent anything from most of my birthdays, graduation presents, gifts...everything. I sold my collection of 20+ year old Hot Wheels model cars, and also kept all the money for that too.

<!--QuoteBegin-jsheehan
@September 11, 2005, 6:45 AM
I'd guess it's because his parents love him. He might also have some scholarships of some kind. The combination of those two is how I pay for my V6.
[/quote]

Yes, my parents do love me and I love my parents. Honestly, were a really loving, strong family. A ton of people from school, and also most of my friends, always comment on "how cool" my dad is and "how nice" my mom is and all that. I am eternally thankful for them buying this car for me, but, as I've stated in other threads, I help out with car payments, full insurance, gas, and all my mods and ANYTHING I do to the car comes outta my pocket.

After all this....I think I have about a dollar left...
Old 9/11/05, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

You are more responsible then most teenagers.

I am a father of two, one is a college freshman this year.and has been pretty reasonable with earning and spending money. She worked hard to earn a NROTC college scholarship.

My son is still wandering in adolescence. He complains about his old Isuzu Rodeo beater, but he hasn't put a cent in to maintain it, didn't save any money to buy a car (the Isuzu was a hand-me-down from his uncle) and when he borrows one of our cars, it usually comes back a mess, out of gas or he wrecks it. He has a job and save not a cent from it.

It sounds like you appreciate both your parents and what you have worked for, so feel proud of your accomplishemnts.
Old 9/11/05, 05:19 PM
GT Member

Well this v6 sure beats my '91 Honda Accord I just got rid of so I'm fine with not getting a GT
Old 9/11/05, 08:26 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by yur1279@September 11, 2005, 3:56 AM
dude, how are you 17 and can afford a GT with those mods, while beeing in college full time???

hey im young too im 18, in college full-time and pay for my GT and insurance and everything else....its called hard work. ud be suprised at some teens nowadays.
Old 9/11/05, 08:59 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88@September 11, 2005, 7:29 PM
hey im young too im 18, in college full-time and pay for my GT and insurance and everything else....its called hard work. ud be suprised at some teens nowadays.
Yeah, I could be in that category also. I saved all of my money I earned in high school and now in college. I give props to you guys, working and going to school isn't easy. It takes commitment, I know from what I'm experiencing right now. I've been saving for a new car ever since I got my license. I drove a beater (1989 F-150, it kept me out of a lot of trouble) throughout high school and I still drive it to college. My friends always made fun of it but I didn't really care because I knew what my goal was. Now my goal is about to come true. Hopefully I will reach that goal in a week when I go pickup my 06 Stang and purchase my first car with my money. (Parents are giving me 1k)

Funny thing is when I told my friend's from high school about my new car coming, they were already fighting over who wanted to ride in it first and I told them :nono: Not to mention they all drive POS now and my revenge will come soon.
You should have seen the look on their faces .
Old 9/11/05, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Juice@September 11, 2005, 4:10 PM
You are more responsible then most teenagers.

I am a father of two, one is a college freshman this year.and has been pretty reasonable with earning and spending money. She worked hard to earn a NROTC college scholarship.

My son is still wandering in adolescence. He complains about his old Isuzu Rodeo beater, but he hasn't put a cent in to maintain it, didn't save any money to buy a car (the Isuzu was a hand-me-down from his uncle) and when he borrows one of our cars, it usually comes back a mess, out of gas or he wrecks it. He has a job and save not a cent from it.

It sounds like you appreciate both your parents and what you have worked for, so feel proud of your accomplishemnts.
Thank you for the kind comments.

To the other teens that are just like me...I'm glad there are people like us on these forums. I see too many of my friends bad-mouth their parents every day, too many who treat their car like its a piece of trash, and WAY too many who think they DESERVE something which they really don't...

All through my life, there have been many things important to me. Some have been above others, though. For one, I love my family more than anything else in the world. I can't have an argument with my dad and ignore him for days. I usually go back and we hug and laugh 10 minutes later.

Also, I've done pretty well in school. I mean, I have to mention the fact that, for the past few years in high school, I went down from the straight A, above 4.0gpa student I was before. I guess parties, friends, and fun got to me a little too much...and that brought me down a bit. I feel that if I had actually worked a LITTLE toward my goals, I would've gotten anything I wanted as far as my achievements go. I got side-tracked, ignored some stuff, and life hit me hard (only pertaining to my college admissions experiences...thats a whole other story.) But overall, I did great in HS, and now, I'm heavily concentrating on getting some classes done, and hopefully, God-willing, transfer to my dream university in about 10 months.
Old 9/11/05, 10:27 PM
Bullitt Member

im 16 and i have a v6, i couldnt afford a GT, which is fine by me, i dont need 300 horses in the city, i speed enough in my v6 to be noticed, and about all those 6's, maybe they did trade for v8s,but that doesnt mean the v6 doesnt pack a punch there are alot of 05 v6's and GT's now at my local dealership, ill go see if any are used, a few of em look like it, one has these huge ugly rims, and the car looks raised
Old 9/11/05, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

well I'm 14 and have a GT...I wonder if those used v-6's had the fleet moulding on the doors? That's a dead giveaway for a rental. I was 14 almost 30 years ago.
Old 9/12/05, 02:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Rentals

Tis the season for 06's to hit the rental fleets and time to turn over the inventory. You can pick up an 06 Taurus in SoCal for 10K right now because of the rental fleet returns. It has nothing to do with prices up, or down. It has to do with the new model year and when the new units hit the ground.

As a Hertz Gold renter I drove an 06 Taurus in July (yes a Taurus). I rented a V6 Mustang before the dealers had any on the lots.

If you watch the auctions and the major cities this is the best time to pick up one year old rental returns if you want one. I buy one every other year as a sales car. I pay around 10k for a Taurus or Sable and then sell my two or three year old for about 5K. I have had a 99 Sable, an 02 Taurus, and I will pick up an 05 Taurus in the next few weeks. Since my company pays me a $550.00 a month car allowance it makes sense to drive a newer car for around 2K a year.

I'd rather put my money in my Mustang.
Old 9/12/05, 08:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by dswhalen@September 12, 2005, 3:39 AM
Rentals

Tis the season for 06's to hit the rental fleets and time to turn over the inventory. You can pick up an 06 Taurus in SoCal for 10K right now because of the rental fleet returns. It has nothing to do with prices up, or down. It has to do with the new model year and when the new units hit the ground.

As a Hertz Gold renter I drove an 06 Taurus in July (yes a Taurus). I rented a V6 Mustang before the dealers had any on the lots.

If you watch the auctions and the major cities this is the best time to pick up one year old rental returns if you want one. I buy one every other year as a sales car. I pay around 10k for a Taurus or Sable and then sell my two or three year old for about 5K. I have had a 99 Sable, an 02 Taurus, and I will pick up an 05 Taurus in the next few weeks. Since my company pays me a $550.00 a month car allowance it makes sense to drive a newer car for around 2K a year.

I'd rather put my money in my Mustang.
Do you notice excessive wear on these vehicles? I'd think especially for a mustang, renters are going to run them for all they are worth. Now I know that a vehicle should take that in stride, but I wonder in reality if there is extra wear and shortened life because of it. I wouldn't think you would necessarily see that after only a couple year in them, but do you have any feeling about how they might do? I'm just wary of rental vehicles, cause I know what I would do with a Mustang rental...
Old 9/12/05, 10:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Cornelius@September 12, 2005, 7:59 AM
Do you notice excessive wear on these vehicles? I'd think especially for a mustang, renters are going to run them for all they are worth. Now I know that a vehicle should take that in stride, but I wonder in reality if there is extra wear and shortened life because of it. I wouldn't think you would necessarily see that after only a couple year in them, but do you have any feeling about how they might do? I'm just wary of rental vehicles, cause I know what I would do with a Mustang rental...
I would be very careful make sure the car was tight and not damaged. I ran over a curb in a Mustang Rental. I live in Southern Utah and I see a lot of Mustang vert rentals out here going to the Natl parks. I've seen quite a few of them on dirt roads so go figure. I saw a guy in Seattle doing burn-outs in a Hertz Mustang last Spring so you know there is some abuse. I would say most rentals are driven by decent people but the exceptions make you worry.

I've had good luck with the Taurus' because I make sure I don't buy one with over 15K so I have at least 20K miles to shake them out.

IMO :scratch:
Old 9/12/05, 11:28 AM
V6 Member

As a former employee of both Dollar and Hertz Rent-a-car, I implore you... NEVER buy a used rental car. They receive poor maintenance, and are abused by everyone that comes in contact with them. No one babies a rental, not even the employees.
Old 9/12/05, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by StangGrl@September 11, 2005, 12:40 PM
I have to agree with Marci here. The V6 is no slug! I'm driving down the tollway this morning enjoying the sunshine. I look down at the speedo, and to my surprise, I'm doing 95. :shock:

Oops! In my '02 Focus ZTS, you knew you were doing 65 let alone 95. That car felt like it was going to burn up like a spacecraft on re-entry into the atmosphere! The V6 is a comfortable car with no shimmy or shake at those speeds. I can also run the air without any discernable decrease in power. That's nice going from an I-4!

I have no plans on stepping up to a GT. I don't want to pay the extra premiums when I can have just as much fun driving and modding my six.
Old 9/12/05, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hope there isn't a V6 vs V8 mentality here. A V8 isn't for everybody and the V6 is pretty sweet. I've tried out many version.....Coupe:V8/5spd, V8/auto, V6/5spd, V6/auto and V6/auto convertible.
They are all good. The only complaint I had of the V6 is the pedestrian exhaust note........an easy fix! They are fast enough to be sure.....as fast as a GT only a couple of years ago.

The V6s on the lot are probably rental returns. They like to keep the mileage low for resale purposes. The body color rub strips are a dead give away, as they are only available on fleet sales.
Old 9/12/05, 02:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And on the topic...

94tbird,

Did the V6s have the body side molding? If so, unless they're Canadian cars, thats a rental indicator.
Old 9/12/05, 05:26 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by StangGrl@September 11, 2005, 8:40 PM
Right...me, too. Hit about 80 and turning about 2400 RPM. The sucker was just idling.