2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What's the current status of iPod interfaces?

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/07, 03:59 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the current status of iPod interfaces?

Folks,

I know that when the 05 first came out, the iPod interfaces (that allowed you to control the iPod from the radio stack) for the Shaker 500/1000 looked like they were all a bit flaky. There were several posts about people that had their dashes fritz out after a while and had to remove them.

What is the consensous now? Has the issues been resolved? What brand of interface would folks recommend? Do they work with the iPhone (can't see why not, but...) Any other suggestions or warnings?
Old 9/19/07, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the auxiliary plug in my 07, and have never had a problem with it. Sounds great, easy to connect. The only problem I have with it is that you still have to select your music on the MP3 player itself, not on the in-dash head unit.
Old 9/19/07, 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by titanjc
I've got the auxiliary plug in my 07, and have never had a problem with it. Sounds great, easy to connect. The only problem I have with it is that you still have to select your music on the MP3 player itself, not on the in-dash head unit.
I've searched and not found a definitive answer to this question: How is the '07 factory auxiliary plug actually implemented?

Is there a difference in the '07-up head units, (i.e. extra/different circuitry built into the '07-up head unit) or did they add something to the wiring harness (i.e. an adapter) that could be retrofitted to earlier cars?
Old 9/19/07, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

to be frank, i actully like controlling the music from the ipod, i feel more in control and i can read more of the screen...i mean hell, spent money on an ipod, might as well use it...

i can see controlling it from the dash, that way less of a chance of an accident but still...

i know for me, i only use my ipod in my car...i dont think i have ever listened to it running, at work, in school, or anything like that...
Old 9/20/07, 07:04 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
About the same here. The setup I have sucks though, because you cant control the iPod while its plugged in, so you have to make a playlist first, and plug it into that.
Old 9/20/07, 08:42 AM
GT Member

The aux plug interface is nice for long trips but having to keep stopping/starting the ipod manually blows for daily use, IMHO.

I too would be interested to know about a reliable interface that allows full control through the shaker, including stopping/resuming when shutting down/starting the car.
Old 9/20/07, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by sycd
The aux plug interface is nice for long trips but having to keep stopping/starting the ipod manually blows for daily use, IMHO.

I too would be interested to know about a reliable interface that allows full control through the shaker, including stopping/resuming when shutting down/starting the car.
Yeah, stopping/starting would be nice. I run my ipod battery down completely by leaving it running about 50% of the times I use it. (I can be pretty absent minded)
Old 9/20/07, 11:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

to this day i still use the PIE adapter i bought from crutchfield a year ago and still very happy with it. although I control it manually I still keep my songs on shuffle or keep a good set of playlists around, its better than dealing with those crappy FM transmitter devices. the only other drawback I have to the crutchfield one is that it doesnt charge the ipod. I have both the PIE adapter and a ipod car charger plugged into my ipod (thank god for the center console cigarette lighter), never looked back.

no problems and no glitches to report.
Old 9/20/07, 11:39 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
I have a New Ipod Interface I Have been Testing in my 500. It allows Control from the Radio. I will attempt to do an Online Review asap. I did not want to Simply offer a New Product without Testing it First. Stay Tuned to OEM Parts for a Review. It works Great BTW!

KC
Old 9/20/07, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I used the auxillary plug and it sucked. So I took the easy way out and bought a Pioneer AVIC-D3 and problem solved. Great sound and I can control everything from the screen.

Attachment 33148
Attached Thumbnails What's the current status of iPod interfaces?-nav1.jpg  
Old 9/20/07, 04:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At some point I want to put a full car computer in it. Then I won't need to worry about an iPod as I'll already have all of my mp3s loaded on to the hard drive and I'll just have to sync it via wireless network while sitting in the garage when I add new music to the server. But not at this time...

So does any one have any of the full function interfaces (controls the iPod via the radio and charges it as well) that they have had for 6 months or more and have they had any problems?
Old 9/20/07, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by RRRoamer
At some point I want to put a full car computer in it. Then I won't need to worry about an iPod as I'll already have all of my mp3s loaded on to the hard drive and I'll just have to sync it via wireless network while sitting in the garage when I add new music to the server. But not at this time...

So does any one have any of the full function interfaces (controls the iPod via the radio and charges it as well) that they have had for 6 months or more and have they had any problems?
+1 on the car computer... that's in my plans too, but not for a while...

don't forget having your computer connected to your obd-ii port allowing you to use your display as an infinite-function guage! You could even make real time A/F vs RPM graphs while driving!
Old 9/20/07, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the Peripherial electronics (PEI) iSimple from best buy.

Install was easy. Unit works pretty well.

I had the problem where the dash freaked out once. Disconnecting the battery for a half hour fixed it. And once in a blue moon it will have a hissing noise. Both times it was a humid day.

I plan on calling PEI and seeing if I can get the unit replaced if it acts up any further.
Old 9/21/07, 05:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Ford now has a product called "TripTunesAdvanced" you can get it from partscheap.com for 225.00. It's for 07-08 only and lets you use your ipod from a dock and utilizes the stereo controls. Anyone have any experience with this one?
Old 9/21/07, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I have a New Ipod Interface I Have been Testing in my 500. It allows Control from the Radio. I will attempt to do an Online Review asap. I did not want to Simply offer a New Product without Testing it First. Stay Tuned to OEM Parts for a Review. It works Great BTW!

KC
Ok I'm very interested in what you are using. I have the ipod line in that I use right now in the center console but something to control it from the dash would make things perfect.
Old 9/21/07, 12:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
I've searched and not found a definitive answer to this question: How is the '07 factory auxiliary plug actually implemented?

Is there a difference in the '07-up head units, (i.e. extra/different circuitry built into the '07-up head unit) or did they add something to the wiring harness (i.e. an adapter) that could be retrofitted to earlier cars?
I believe it's just an additional wiring harness / plug, but don't quote me on that. I remember seeing the auxiliary plug for sale somewhere, and seeing the harness with it, and it appeared that it would just plug into the factory HU.
Old 9/21/07, 02:00 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,992 Likes on 2,199 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc

KC

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...80#post1009080

HERE IS MY NEW IPOD INTERFACE TOPIC!

KC