2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Whats the best way to learn??

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/06 | 07:27 AM
Cobra R Member

I learned the hard way. Didn't have money to pay to have repairs done, so i started doing them myself. My dad had always done car work himself as well, so i was learning from him at a young age.

It started with just learning how to do oil changes about 7 years ago. Now i just finished putting a clutch in a cavalier, and last october finished putting together a 69 boss 302, had the engine/drivetrain out, had the interior out of it, had to retrofit a power steering system on to it, everything. Take it easy read on how to do easy little jobs and what not, then as your knowledge builds, you will feel comfortable doing it all yourself.

I started modifying the jetta that i drive now, and love it. I must say most of the enjoyment i get out of modifying a car is the fact that i did the work myself.

i cant wait till my 07 gets here
Old 5/27/06 | 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
I learned the hard way. Didn't have money to pay to have repairs done, so i started doing them myself. My dad had always done car work himself as well, so i was learning from him at a young age.

It started with just learning how to do oil changes about 7 years ago. Now i just finished putting a clutch in a cavalier, and last october finished putting together a 69 boss 302, had the engine/drivetrain out, had the interior out of it, had to retrofit a power steering system on to it, everything. Take it easy read on how to do easy little jobs and what not, then as your knowledge builds, you will feel comfortable doing it all yourself.

I started modifying the jetta that i drive now, and love it. I must say most of the enjoyment i get out of modifying a car is the fact that i did the work myself.

i cant wait till my 07 gets here
That's exactly how I learned... My mom has pictures somewhere of me "helping" my dad work on her '78 camaro Z28 when I was 5. Basically I stood there and watched him with a hammer in my hand At least I knew what tools to use on a camaro

(Oh and for the record... my dad is a DIE hard mustang guy... He had a '69 mach 1, '71 Mach 1, 78 Cobra, 85 Capri)