2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Whats the best way to learn??

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/06, 03:49 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats the best way to learn??

I just got the modding bug bad. Before I was just reading about what people did to their stang and I was satisfied with that. Then last week I put Flowmasters on and just stayed under my stang looking at everything I want to change. Now I can't stop thinking about switching out just about everything that I can. The only thing that is holding me back is I don't know jack. When I swapped my shifter my uncle did 90% of the job, and when I did the exhaust my friend did 50% (one side). If I screw something up when I do my next mod I'm screwed. This is my daily car and I need it to work all the time.

Does anyone recommend getting an old beat up car to learn on and then eventually work on my 06. I am more than happy with the performance of my 06. My only goal was to get the HP/Torque to 300 at the wheels. At the moment I just have a tune and exhaust. I figure it would take me until at least October to save up for a junker. Which would be good since it would just force me to get better at driving stick.

Anyone have an opinion on this?
Old 5/23/06, 03:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

You may want to consider joining a local Mustang Club - usually there is a good mix of old and young members and some who will have a high degree of know-how. There is alot of stuff that is pretty basic and there are some things (at least for me) I will find someone to do.
Old 5/23/06, 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

The only way I learn how, is to either watch someone do it on their car, read/see it on the net, or do it myself while taking my time.

Thats why it took me 6 hours to swap out a water pump on my 85 GT lol.
Old 5/23/06, 07:08 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try and find someone to learn from, in my circle of friends we all have our strengths when it comes to working on cars, we always turn to each other for ideas/tips/advice, etc.
Old 5/23/06, 08:12 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
There are lots of how-to articles here and on the other Mustang sites. Most of the mods out there aren't that intense. For your goals (300 rwhp) you only have one or two small mods left to do. A set of pullies will get you VERY close to 300. You're probably 285-290 now.
Old 5/24/06, 06:43 AM
Cobra Member

Don't waste your money on a junker.... you could spend that on another mod!!
I don't claim to know everything.... but I couldn't change my own oil when I bought my first Mustang. I learned a lot... I mean a ton from reading tech articles in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine... that's not to say that there's not other good mags out there.... but I'm saying find one that you like and sit on the toilet and learn. I hung out with all of the people in town where we used to have illegal drag races, and I learned a lot just by listening... I'd engage in the conversations, but I made sure that I did more listening and less talking....
A. So I wouldn't sound like a moron 'cause I didn't know what I was talking about.... and
B. I couldn't learn something if I'm running my mouth... so I listened.
Find a local Mustang club... just make some friends, and if anyone ever needs help building an engine or something, volunteer... you might not know what you're doing, and you might not be more than just an extra body to hold something steady, or lift something heavy.... but if you can pay attention.... I'll be you'll learn something.
It's not going to happen over night.... but you'll get there.
Old 5/24/06, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey dude, just noticed your in the NJ area. Several of us TMSers get to gether quite often and go to car shows, drag strips and cruises. You might want to together with us sometime and check out the mods we have done and make some descisions based on your tastes. A couple of us are even getting supercharged if thats your route.
Old 5/24/06, 09:19 AM
GT Member

When's the next time you guys meet up? I wasn't planning on getting a SC until I talked to people on modularfords and discovered JDM. Now all I've been doing since I started this thread is seeing what other engine mods would work with their Saleen SC.

Thanx everyone for your advice. I have the modding but bad now. I'm giving myself a few months to save up and then going to figure out where I'm going to improve Lucy.
Old 5/24/06, 10:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

sis, where about in NJ are you from, I'm down in Medford / Burlington County. If you need help putting on parts, I'd be more than happy to help you bro, depending on where your at?
Old 5/24/06, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

I started at a young age (5) by "fixing" my mom's toaster....
Old 5/24/06, 11:00 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sis27
When's the next time you guys meet up? I wasn't planning on getting a SC until I talked to people on modularfords and discovered JDM. Now all I've been doing since I started this thread is seeing what other engine mods would work with their Saleen SC.

Thanx everyone for your advice. I have the modding but bad now. I'm giving myself a few months to save up and then going to figure out where I'm going to improve Lucy.
Planning on a SC? You'll go WAY beyond your 300 hp goal.
Old 5/24/06, 12:24 PM
GT Member

Hehe, my goal for 300 was with minimal mods. But since I've started this thread I realized I want to push Lucy to the limit before the engine, transmission, or another part breaks. Right now I'm just double checking what I've read before on the limits for the engine and transmission. I remember reading that 450 is the limit for the engine. The Saleen SC will give me a small margin of safety that I'd be comfortable with.

Now I'm make a list like Don did for everything I want. I just want to get all the suspension work done first so I can handle the 100+ hp increase from the Saleen SC.

Maverick I'm from Linwood, its a small town outside of Atlantic City.
Old 5/24/06, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

So what would push you past 300? Tune, intake, headers, maybe electric water pump?
Old 5/24/06, 12:46 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sis,

you should keep an eye on the Northeast Regional Forum as well to meet some local guys in your area.

you are taking the right attitude by trying to learn from other's successes and mistakes
Old 5/24/06, 02:26 PM
GT Member

Sis,

Nothing beats hands on experience. Even if you are not the one doing the modding, you may find that helping someone else mod their car is a great way to learn. Besides, trading some free labor is a small price to pay for some knowledge. You help a friend install a CAI, you will know what you are up against when you attempt it yourself. Having the right tools and supplies on hand ahead of time is sometimes half the battle!

As pointed out above, car magazines like Muscle Mustang often will show, step-by-step, installations of some of the more popular mods.

I hope this helps.

Tony D
Old 5/24/06, 04:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm past 300 with what I've got. I'm at 306 at the rear wheels on the dyno.

K&N AirCharger
Tuner with BamaChips
JET T/B Spacer
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Flowmasters
Old 5/25/06, 05:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Most of what has been already said. Read and Read. MM & FF, 5.0, Mustang Enthusiast. (heck, I learned how to do the spring swap from MM & FF). Go to several web sites, read and learn. This site was good for posting pics of how to do stuff. They also included excellent write ups on that stuff. Most Mod's you can do. I changed out alot of my stuff. I did get help when I needed it or pay to do it for me when it was way over my head (IE: changing rear end gears). I like to see how stuff is done, that is why I liked the pics here.

If you want to do a mod, read how others have done it, post to their question or how to. If you are not clear, PM the person to ask. Most here will always help or post pics or do it this way for modders.

I am very proud of telling someone I did the mod, with help from the mustang source.
Old 5/25/06, 08:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
There are lots of how-to articles here and on the other Mustang sites. Most of the mods out there aren't that intense. For your goals (300 rwhp) you only have one or two small mods left to do. A set of pullies will get you VERY close to 300. You're probably 285-290 now.
I had my 05 on a dyno 2 weeks ago, 271hp at the wheels with only muffler change. Installed JLT CAI this week. Going to take it back for dyno, should be close to 296hp with some minor tuning.
Old 5/25/06, 09:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
Most of what has been already said. Read and Read. MM & FF, 5.0, Mustang Enthusiast. (heck, I learned how to do the spring swap from MM & FF). Go to several web sites, read and learn. This site was good for posting pics of how to do stuff. They also included excellent write ups on that stuff. Most Mod's you can do. I changed out alot of my stuff. I did get help when I needed it or pay to do it for me when it was way over my head (IE: changing rear end gears). I like to see how stuff is done, that is why I liked the pics here.

If you want to do a mod, read how others have done it, post to their question or how to. If you are not clear, PM the person to ask. Most here will always help or post pics or do it this way for modders.

I am very proud of telling someone I did the mod, with help from the mustang source.
Thanx Traffic, I subscribe to those three mags and have learned a decent amount of info. I have the same approach to modding Lucy, mod what I can but if its above me then take it to the best people I can to make sure it gets done right.

I got through my B&M install with all pics from Maverick when he did his. Next time I mod Lucy I'll be sure to post pics of the install.
Old 5/26/06, 10:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Give it time.
Read the forums, especially more than one.
Read the magazines.
Talk to others.
Get some experience, whether you do all the work, some, or none at all and just watch.

Quick Reply: Whats the best way to learn??