2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

whats the best synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/05, 11:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by wjones14@June 22, 2005, 11:07 AM
Put it this way - NASCAR and IndyCars both use Mobil 1. Stands to reason that engineers for those engines aren't going to skimp on the oil. They need to squeeze every last bit of performance and reliability out of those engines...or else their cars won't have a chance of winning.

If it's good enough for a $500,000 IndyCar, it should be good enough for our Mustangs.
Sure...but.....those engines last only 1 race.
Old 6/27/05, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is synthetic better than...um...the non-synthetic oil?
Old 6/27/05, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally posted by tw0scoops123@June 27, 2005, 7:57 AM
Is synthetic better than...um...the non-synthetic oil?
The Mobil1 page has lots of info about the benefits of synthetic (I'm sure Amsoil has similar type info on their page as well):

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil...Synthetics.aspx

Be sure to go through all the links on the left side in order get the full story.
Old 6/27/05, 09:26 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by TomServo92+June 27, 2005, 9:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomServo92 @ June 27, 2005, 9:59 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The Mobil1 page has lots of info about the benefits of synthetic (I'm sure Amsoil has similar type info on their page as well):

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil...Synthetics.aspx

Be sure to go through all the links on the left side in order get the full story.
[/b]

Read This

They are both good for different stages of your engine's break-in and life. But hey, opinions on oil and break-in are just about as plentiful as clouds in the sky.

kris

ps
<!--QuoteBegin-wjones14 @ June 22
@ 2005, 11:07 AM
Put it this way - NASCAR and IndyCars both use Mobil 1. Stands to reason that engineers for those engines aren't going to skimp on the oil. They need to squeeze every last bit of performance and reliability out of those engines...or else their cars won't have a chance of winning.

If it's good enough for a $500,000 IndyCar, it should be good enough for our Mustangs.
[/quote]

the same can be said for about a million other race series and vehicle teams. FYI the 24 Hours of Le Mans and World Rally Championship Race Weekends last a TAD longer then a (boring :shock: ) Nascar race...and many of these teams use Motul.

Homepage

Results
Old 9/1/06, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Has anyone here seen an actual HP increase, or 1/4 reduction just by changing oil products to say, RP, RL or M1? I did see , on 2 guys garage?, some mechanics show, where they changed out ALL the lube products (gear/tranny/motor/etc oil) and did see a dyno increase. I believe in the 5 - 10 hp range. I would have to believe this would be a temporary increase as the oil breaks down HP would come down.

Anyway, anyone personally seen results just in changing oils?
Old 9/1/06, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I've been running Royal Purple 5W20. The bottle claims a 10 hp increase and an increase in milage. The seat of my pants tells me there is NO horse power change, and the MPGs on the message centre tell me there has been NO mileage improvement.
Old 9/1/06, 05:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Main difference between Amsoil and Mobil 1 is additives. Mobile 1 is 12 % or there abouts additives, 88% oil, Amsoil is 18% additives, 82% oil.

I dont believe Castrol is able to be called a synthetic in europe because it doesnt start out with the Synthetic oil, but a high grade dino oil, in the US with less strigent laws governing such things it can be called synthetic. However it does have phospherous and sulfur in it which can cause sludge build up. Ive read otherwise on here but remain skeptical.

Royal Purple is a good quality synthetic.

Make mine Mobil 1 please.
Old 9/1/06, 06:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

I HAVE USED MOBIL ONE FOR 30YEARS THEY KEEP MAKING IT BETTER, I HAVE SEEN THE BMW MOTOR THEY RAN 1,000,000 MILES THE PART MEASURED TO NEW SPECS!!!I RAN MOBIL 1 OIL , ATF MOBIL1 MOBIL 1 GEAR OIL AND LUBE IN MY 1970 BOSS AND BOTH 05'S. LESS FRICTION,LESS HEAT MORE POWER AND BETTER MPG. LOTS OF GAINS FOR A LITTLE MORE MONEY!!!
Old 9/15/06, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Amsoil, I buy it in 12 bottle cases and 6 filters.
Lose the caps.
Old 9/15/06, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

After many years of use with no engine troubles, it's Mobil 1 for me.
Old 9/15/06, 03:20 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mobil 1 Extended Performance. 15,000 mile intervals...but i change mine every 10,000
Old 9/15/06, 04:43 PM
Cobra Member

I run Mobil 1 for 12,000 miles (in all my cars), and use the Extend Performance filter and change it at 4000 to 3000 mile intervals, though Mobil claim its good for 15,000 miles because it has more surface area to collect junk.

I would caution against the Extended Performance. Its absolutely great for older cars, like my 69 BOSS 302, but you will notice the Extended Performance containers do not carry the API starburst, which is the only oil recommeded for our new cars. I asked a Mobil tech why and its because Extended Performance uses additives at levels that exceed new car manufactures and the API specifications. These additives affect emissions and your engines emissions hardware, so don't be surprised after extended use your warning lights go on and you have a repair bill.
Old 9/15/06, 05:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
I run Mobil 1 for 12,000 miles (in all my cars), and use the Extend Performance filter and change it at 4000 to 3000 mile intervals, though Mobil claim its good for 15,000 miles because it has more surface area to collect junk.

I would caution against the Extended Performance. Its absolutely great for older cars, like my 69 BOSS 302, but you will notice the Extended Performance containers do not carry the API starburst, which is the only oil recommeded for our new cars. I asked a Mobil tech why and its because Extended Performance uses additives at levels that exceed new car manufactures and the API specifications. These additives affect emissions and your engines emissions hardware, so don't be surprised after extended use your warning lights go on and you have a repair bill.
According to the Mobil1 website, Extended Performance meets the following API specs: SM, SL, SJ, SH/CF. Does it not carry the API starburst because it exceeds the specs?
Old 9/16/06, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Royal purple

and will never switch
Old 9/16/06, 03:38 PM
Cobra Member

TomServo92

No because it does not meet the allowable additive MAXIMUMS.

Look at page 202 of your owners manual (05) and you will note that Ford requires oil certified with the API starburst. This all has a lot to do with engines emissions protection. Additives like zinc have been drastically reduced in the last couple decades. Zinc is good and desirable for flat tappet engines, but not as important for roller cam engines and is very harmful to emissions systems. The regular Mobil 1 has the API starburst, and is also Certified ILSAC G-4, Extended performance is not. You can run the extended performance if you want, it won't grenade your engine overnight, just don't expect your Ford service tech to be sympathetic when you come to him or her with an emissions warranty claim, and the emissions device failed because you were not using the right kind of oil.
Old 9/16/06, 04:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

TomServo92

No because it does not meet the allowable additive MAXIMUMS.

Look at page 202 of your owners manual (05) and you will note that Ford requires oil certified with the API starburst. This all has a lot to do with engines emissions protection. Additives like zinc have been drastically reduced in the last couple decades. Zinc is good and desirable for flat tappet engines, but not as important for roller cam engines and is very harmful to emissions systems. The regular Mobil 1 has the API starburst, and is also Certified ILSAC G-4, Extended performance is not. You can run the extended performance if you want, it won't grenade your engine overnight, just don't expect your Ford service tech to be sympathetic when you come to him or her with an emissions warranty claim, and the emissions device failed because you were not using the right kind of oil.
I don't run extended performance. I was just wondering why it didn't have the starburst.
Old 9/16/06, 05:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
I don't run extended performance. I was just wondering why it didn't have the starburst.
Well that is probably good you are not running it in your new car. I only became aware of this because I was trying to find out from Mobil what thier zinc levels were, because amongst the BOSS 302 owners there have been a lot of cam failures lately, some self inflicted I might add, but realizing zinc levels in most motor oils has been drastically reduced explained a lot of the other failures. I was also curious why the Extended Performance did not have the API starburst on the label too. The long and the short of it was Mobil would not divulge what their zinc levels were for Mobil 1, but what thay did elude to was the Extended Performance had higher levels and the multi vis in the 40 and 50 wt ranges had the most. Mobil had a high zinc 30wt Mobil 1 racing oil out there for a while and they forget to advertize it, and with low sales they pulled it off the market. So now you you know everything I know ablout Mobil 1.
Old 9/18/06, 12:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Royal Purple in my Stang(s) and Mobil 1 in my other cars. I figure that probably all synthetics are NEARLY the same and if you stick to the top few (RP, M1, Castrol, Amsol, etc) that you will be fine. Full syn does lubricate better than normal oil ( keeps the lub on the parts longer which is very beneficial if you haven't started the car in awhile). If you change your oil every 3-5 thousand miles than all of the above are good. Just pick what you like.
Old 9/18/06, 11:34 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I only became aware of this because I was trying to find out from Mobil what thier zinc levels were,
You could go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ or send a fresh oil sample to a company like http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ for testing.
Old 9/19/06, 03:54 PM

I changed over at 3k. I used Royal Purple. I've read and heard from a number of people that it is better than Mobil 1. You can order it at rpmoil.com. Or your local O'Reilly's or speed shop should carry it.

Quick Reply: whats the best synthetic oil