2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What Strut Tower Brace Will Work With Factory Plenum Cover????

Search this Thread

Old 11/9/07 | 10:58 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
I have the GT500 one and it just barely clears and also hides the damage from when the hood blanket was rubbing.
I'd sure like to know how you pulled that off..

All the GT500 STB did.. was put deep indentation marks on both sides of the hood liner, and would slightly contact the underside of the hood itself..

So I ended up removing it altogether..As I didn't want to take any chances in damaging my hood..
Old 11/12/07 | 07:03 AM
V6 Member

I just put on the BMR strut brace over a Ford plenum cover. Fits great, no interference with the cover at all.
Old 11/12/07 | 09:36 AM
GT Member

I have a Strange Development GT brace. It fits very well (clears by a mile) over the MAG plenum cover--only a slight intent on the hood liner.

I went with the Strange brace because I tried two BMR braces and neither fit on my 06 GT.
Old 11/14/07 | 03:44 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GAGT
Which one will work without any problems of hitting the hood and the factory plenum cover? Will the one off the GT 500 work without touching??
Pick your poison - all the GMS bars clear -
Old 11/15/07 | 06:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I already bought a used ford brace from a friend, I appreciate your offer though I will be contacting you in the future when I get some extra funds. I wanna get some of your lca's and the fuel gauge adapter!!!
Old 11/19/07 | 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I ordered a GT500 strut tower brace and my hood will not close with it on. So if anyone has a car with an aftermarket hood I be glad to sell this one to you for $35 + shipping. I guess I will save up and get one from Granetelli, it looks better too and it actually fits!!
Old 12/13/07 | 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Rocky, jaco, and GAGT:

Did you try flipping the GT500 STB to see if one orientation would allow more hood clearance than the other? I did massive googling and found a member Paleoc on the shelby v6 site where he ran into some problems but said if he reversed the bar, it would fit but contact the V6's DIS coil packs. Our GTs do not have those coil packs so that wouldn't be a problem.
Old 12/13/07 | 05:58 PM

I sure did, and afterwards..the STB ended up, resting directly on top of the intake plenum cover.

On the other hand, reversing the STB.. may clear the hood, however you'll have to uninstall the plenum cover..As it will not clear at all..
Old 12/13/07 | 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Did you try shimming the rear of the reversed bar with washers (1 washer for each rear stud)? JLT said that is how they managed to install the bar.

Another guy said he installed it without any mods.
Old 12/13/07 | 06:39 PM

I honestly don't know, how that guy pulled it off with no mods..But I'll definitely be giving Jay Tucker, from JLT a phone call tomorrow.. to find out exactly what size washers he used..
Old 12/17/07 | 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

What did you find out?
Old 12/17/07 | 08:41 PM

Charlie, I just finished checking the clearance..After using several different washer combinations, the GT500 STB barely clears the intake runners, and hood without the plenum cover..

However, even with the bar reversed with washers..It clearly will NOT clear the intake plenum cover..

So my advice is this..If your looking for a STB to clear both the hood, and plenum cover..the GT500 STB, will NOT work with the stock GT hood..

On the other hand, reversing the bar will clear the hood..but again without using an intake plenum cover..

Anyway, my apologies for not being able to provide more encouraging results..
Old 12/18/07 | 12:12 PM
Former Vendor

deleted
Old 12/19/07 | 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Will the GMS single STB clear the factory OEM Ford plenum cover w/o lowering, AND a stock 07 GT hood with hoodliner?

Do you have any close up pics of how the GMS single STB interfaces with the strut mount studs?
Old 12/19/07 | 05:03 PM

Although the GMS single bar, does appear to clear the plenum cover. It also appears very close to it as well..

What really concerns me is..if the bar is close enough, it wouldn't take much engine torque, in order to make contact with the plenum cover..

And if there's enough force behind the engine torque..It may also be just enough to damage the plenum cover..
Old 12/19/07 | 05:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I saw some pics of the GMS single bar and the holes that fit over the strut mount studs were wide enough that it wouldn't even brace the strut towers under load. The studs would simply shift through the STB holes!

Thanks for all the help Rocky, I appreciate you taking the time to check on everything I suggested.
Old 12/19/07 | 09:17 PM

Both your suggestions and advice, were very valuable Charlie..and even though the GT500 STB, won't clear both the OEM plenum cover and hood..

At least we now know, that by reversing the bar..will somewhat clear without a plenum cover..So at least it isn't a total loss lol.

The question is..will just under 1/2 inch above the plenum runners, be enough clearance..

IMHO, once you consider engine torque as a factor..it would seem that anythng under 1 - 1 3/4 inches, just isn't enough clearance.
Old 12/20/07 | 03:52 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Although the GMS single bar, does appear to clear the plenum cover. It also appears very close to it as well..

What really concerns me is..if the bar is close enough, it wouldn't take much engine torque, in order to make contact with the plenum cover..

And if there's enough force behind the engine torque..It may also be just enough to damage the plenum cover..
It clears - trust me. The single bar has a ton of space. I would put up the picture but then I get blasted for wasting bandwidth

Old 12/20/07 | 04:03 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by metroplex
I saw some pics of the GMS single bar and the holes that fit over the strut mount studs were wide enough that it wouldn't even brace the strut towers under load. The studs would simply shift through the STB holes!

Thanks for all the help Rocky, I appreciate you taking the time to check on everything I suggested.
I don't understand? Are you saying the studs would move around in the holes while driving? How could that be? The brace is not designed to support the studs - it is designed to hold the towers. If you tighten the nuts down nothing can move. If I am missing something please help me help everyone fix it
Old 12/20/07 | 04:06 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Both your suggestions and advice, were very valuable Charlie..and even though the GT500 STB, won't clear both the OEM plenum cover and hood..

At least we now know, that by reversing the bar..will somewhat clear without a plenum cover..So at least, it isn't a total loss lol.

The question is..will just under 1/2 inch above the plenum runners, be enough clearance..

IMHO, once you consider engine torque as a factor..it would seem that anythng under 1 - 1 3/4 inches, just isn't enough clearance.
If you engine is moving up or down / side to side 1 to 1.75 inches something is wrong. At that point I would reccomend new motor mounts. There are several companies that offer solid motor mounts for that car and that are very nice - they still have a urathane bushing so it is not rough on vibration. here is a link
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...lay.php?gid=28

Quick Reply: What Strut Tower Brace Will Work With Factory Plenum Cover????