2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What hood scoop for my 2005 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/04, 09:56 AM
jm3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very fortunate that a long time friend of mine, and my kids soccer coach, has bought a Ford dealership just in time for me to order a Torch Red GT with no options at all.
It is built and on its way......

The hood is a vast expanse of uncreased sheet metal. I really want to do something right away, even the first day. I don't mine buying another hood later on if something better comes along.

I have been looking and thinking:
2001 Bullit hood scoop, good size and shape, probably wont fit right
1969 GT scoop, too narrow
Shaker? I don't know, not yet, but maybe.
1970 boss 429 scoop (the wide one) this might be which way I am leaning.
http://www.sd455.com/mustanghood.htm
Might be kinda cool to paint the hood partially black instead of "Shelby Stripes"
I already bought some ricey "stick-on" hood pins that look totally real.

Here is a picture of my 69 mach 1, factory 4 speed and factory a/c, 35,000 original miles. The color is "Indian Fire Red"

When I bought my M3, I had it apart within 20 minutes of it's arrival.
Old 9/27/04, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm thinking shaker!!! But also the 03-04 cobra hood looks good.
Old 9/27/04, 10:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

I would vote for a paint scheme like the older Mach's with the flat black hood and a Shaker in the middle of it.

My second choice would be the Boss 429 hood, as you had mentioned.

My third choice would be a Mach Style hood (like on the '03's and '04's) but without the Shaker - just the 'Power Bulge'.

Look at my avatar and you can see what I mean since you can hardly see the Shaker in it. The raised portion looks pretty darn cool even if you can't see the Shaker in my opinion.

No matter what, congrats on your arriving '05 and post some pics when you can!
Old 9/27/04, 12:58 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We'll just have to wait and see what the aftermarket companies do with it. I think quite a few will be featured at SEMA.
Old 9/27/04, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

What do or did hood pins do?
Old 9/27/04, 01:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by VillianousBlak@September 27, 2004, 1:05 PM
What do or did hood pins do?
On most racecars the hood has no hinge, the hood is held on my 4 pins.

People that like the look of a racecar or people who are turning their ride into a racecar might remove the hood hinge and latch and install pins instead.

Other people who have no taste and are commonly refered to as ricers, might use a 2way tape on piece that look like a hoodpin.
Old 9/27/04, 02:20 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by jm3@September 27, 2004, 9:59 AM
I am very fortunate that a long time friend of mine, and my kids soccer coach, has bought a Ford dealership just in time for me to order a Torch Red GT with no options at all.
It is built and on its way......

The hood is a vast expanse of uncreased sheet metal. I really want to do something right away, even the first day. I don't mine buying another hood later on if something better comes along.

I have been looking and thinking:
2001 Bullit hood scoop, good size and shape, probably wont fit right
1969 GT scoop, too narrow
Shaker? I don't know, not yet, but maybe.
1970 boss 429 scoop (the wide one) this might be which way I am leaning.
http://www.sd455.com/mustanghood.htm
Might be kinda cool to paint the hood partially black instead of "Shelby Stripes"
I already bought some ricey "stick-on" hood pins that look totally real.

Here is a picture of my 69 mach 1, factory 4 speed and factory a/c, 35,000 original miles. The color is "Indian Fire Red"

When I bought my M3, I had it apart within 20 minutes of it's arrival.
I'm kinda partial to hoods that actually work, myself...

If you want to put in a real, functional hood scoop, I don't think you can't possibly go wrong with the 1970 BOSS hood...

Though my personal favorite is the big ol' '69 BOSS 429 hood
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/6...69Boss429-1.jpg
Old 9/27/04, 02:38 PM
FR500 Member

If I do get a hood scoop, it will be a shaker. You just can't beat that when you rev the engine and the shaker flexes like that. It's a beautiful thing.
Old 9/27/04, 03:29 PM
jm3

I am actually hoping that, because of the lack of intake manifold cover, that there will be room to do some ram air type of scoop AND filter.

The Viper GTS hood scoop would work perfect, and be a straight shot into an air filter that is just before the throttle bodies, but I want something with Mustang Heritage.
http://www.vipercentral.com/viperacr/redvipz.jpg

Unfortunately, the Mustang Heritage is that of carburetors, with a scoop above the center of the engine. That is a loooong way from the throttle bodies now!

Jay
Old 9/28/04, 01:05 AM
Bullitt Member

If you look at all Brad's pics of the red ragtop concept car you might get an idea of what your car would look like with a concept inspired hood. I still think it looks pretty sharp.
Old 9/28/04, 03:58 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

Hood pins are neat looking, but a pain as it requires two people to get the hood off without scratching things (bulky) -- but saves the weight of the hinge, and has a racing look. I've seen a few people that leave the rear hinge, put on front pins, and remove the latch. (The argument I heard was it still weighs less and hold the hood down better in high speed and looks cool). The one big advantage is if you really work on the engine a lot, four pins makes it easy to remove the hood completely and climb in when needed. (Worked better in the old days when the engine bays were filled to the gills).

As for the scoop, the GT concept had scoops low and to the front, I assume to get some cold air in front of the air intake. http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/s1...upConcept15.jpg

I really like the look.

The thing I really REALLY like about the concept, and am hoping one of the special editions or cobra has is the concepts back end. The lights, and larger glass, darn sexy. And most of all the lift gate (hatch/fastback style instead of small rear hood). I want to be able to easily put golf clubs in and things like that. I want both function and form. The 2005 has form in spades -- but I want it a better driver. (I currently have an M3, which has a very similar sized rear hood that opens about the same, and it can be annoying.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/concept/s1...s/AutoWeek2.jpg

There was one picture somewhere that had the lift gate opened -- but I couldn't find it on TMS. The same with the production.