2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What happens on May 17th?

Old 3/13/04, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know its the date that either you can pick up the order sheets from the dealers or the first day that you can actually place an order. Actually which one is it guys?

And when you place an order, do you put a deposit down? Or do you start paying the car off then? Or do you wait for the car to actually arrive before you go to start payments and the like?

I want to make sure I get one in Sept/Oct because my car is dying and I don't think it will make it to Sept nevermind if I have to wait longer than that.

I guess my question is: What is the process for May 17th? What actually happens on that date?
Old 3/13/04, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

News to me

I would like to know this as well

BTW -- Welcome to the boards!
Old 3/14/04, 10:45 PM
Banned

Well I figured it was the 17th because thats the date the countdown on top goes to.

Thanks for the welcome

Can anyone help?
Old 3/14/04, 11:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

it's the ordering date since the word "order" is in front
Old 3/15/04, 12:01 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Grantsdale@Mar. 13th, 2004, 4:38 PM
And when you place an order, do you put a deposit down? Or do you start paying the car off then? Or do you wait for the car to actually arrive before you go to start payments and the like?
Quoting myself ... but you had to make that smiley soo ...
Old 3/15/04, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Don't forget St Pattys Day
Old 3/15/04, 01:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That is still the day that Ford has listed for us as the release of order/pricing guides and opening the 2005 order bank.(also the same day for Escape Hybrid-F-150-E series-Exped-Ranger-Sport Trac-Explorer)

Freestar/Freestyle/Five Hundred/Tbird/Super Duty/Vic are 4/8.

Taurus is on the 23 this month....Escape(n/a)/Focus/GT are open for orders now.
Old 3/15/04, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Most dealers will get a deposit to order(average 500-and should be REFUNDABLE!). You have no financial commitment to the vehicle even after it shows up at the dealer. Only after you sign a buyers order.
Old 3/15/04, 04:08 PM
Banned

Thanks a lot Kevin!

Wooo hooo an extra 6 months to gather the money to pay for it!!! YAY!
Old 3/21/04, 10:34 PM
GT Member

*BUMP*

Had to ask, i went down to a dealer locally and asked about a timetable for ordering, putting down a deposit and what not, his eyes lit up when he heard money, so i never mentioned it again, and no money didnt change hands :P however, he told me that for me to get a mustang with the options i wanted etc, id have to wait until after dealer orders and somethin else, so lookin two or three months after street date to get an order placed for me to have a mustang with the exact options i wanted.

I guess im askin, he's just ignorant im hopin, and that on May 17th i can walk into a Ford dealership, get an option sheet, check off what id like, plunk down 500, and 'should' have that car delivered around September 29th? (with the 500 being refundable until i sign a buyers order?) Help greatly appreciated, sorry for resurrecting a fairly dead post, just curious and hopefully misinformed :?
Old 3/22/04, 02:39 PM
GT Member

boomer...kev....someone please
Old 3/22/04, 02:41 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by icwspiker3@Mar. 21st, 2004, 11:37 PM
*BUMP*

Had to ask, i went down to a dealer locally and asked about a timetable for ordering, putting down a deposit and what not, his eyes lit up when he heard money, so i never mentioned it again, and no money didnt change hands :P however, he told me that for me to get a mustang with the options i wanted etc, id have to wait until after dealer orders and somethin else, so lookin two or three months after street date to get an order placed for me to have a mustang with the exact options i wanted.

I guess im askin, he's just ignorant im hopin, and that on May 17th i can walk into a Ford dealership, get an option sheet, check off what id like, plunk down 500, and 'should' have that car delivered around September 29th? (with the 500 being refundable until i sign a buyers order?) Help greatly appreciated, sorry for resurrecting a fairly dead post, just curious and hopefully misinformed :?
That's the way I understand it. Kevin?
Old 3/22/04, 03:38 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well #1 they can't order anything until Fords computers allow them to...
So in other words, you can put money down at that dealership, but its really nothing more than them holding 500 bucks from you.... honestly we don't even know WHAT the options are yet.
Even if we see a leak of the info sheet, you still can't enter them in, until Ford ok's orders (and from what everyone says that seems around the timeframe...april/may) I'm sure Kev will enlighten us on order sheets and orders etc, when they become available.

Once you have an order in, they can give you an approximate date of delivery. Don't forget, the sooner you go in, you may not get it RIGHT away.
Depends on availability of parts and such.
(lets say for example you want 18 inch wheels, and for some dumb reason they are a month behind) your stuck waiting that month etc.

Best advice is patience.
When orders are ready to be taken...place an order...
And then play that LONG and EXCITING (or is that excruciating) wait

Oh and keep your eye's peeled (a car like yours may be on the lott earlier as an order....and maybe they can dealer swap)
Old 3/22/04, 04:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont know about ford, but Subaru will build dealer orders first. For example if the dealer wants 10 different spec legacy's then those are filled first. The Dealer is the consumer of the factories not the final customer. So what they want they get. After that, then dealers are allowed to place orders for customer requested vehicles. Then the normal rules of manufacturing apply. THey build vehicles in lots, because it is cheaper that way. For example, today we are only building red vehicles with grey leather trim. Ford is probably not that specific, but they will build in lots. THey are not going to run one sonic blue with charcoal and black interior, in the middle of running redfire units. Paint guns must be blown out robots reset etc. So orders, especially advanced orders may take a few months to actually get built. :bang:
But hey thats manufacturing
Old 3/22/04, 05:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jarradasay@Mar. 22nd, 2004, 6:26 PM
Dont know about ford, but Subaru will build dealer orders first. For example if the dealer wants 10 different spec legacy's then those are filled first. The Dealer is the consumer of the factories not the final customer. So what they want they get. After that, then dealers are allowed to place orders for customer requested vehicles. Then the normal rules of manufacturing apply. THey build vehicles in lots, because it is cheaper that way. For example, today we are only building red vehicles with grey leather trim. Ford is probably not that specific, but they will build in lots. THey are not going to run one sonic blue with charcoal and black interior, in the middle of running redfire units. Paint guns must be blown out robots reset etc. So orders, especially advanced orders may take a few months to actually get built. :bang:
But hey thats manufacturing
Thats not unusual for import cars, they are not built to order, they are simply built, and the dealer just picks from the finished product on the dock lots. It can be a big deal to "order" an import car, most of the time you just wait until one just like you want shows up on the dock. Every single Ford is ordered by a dealer, they are all built to specification. They WILL force some on you, but only if you do not order. This is also the reason for sales "missinformation" such as "hey you guys have TONS of Freestars on the lot and toyota only has 3 siennas" as if its sales driven. We have 24 Freestars because we ordered 24 Freestars. They are built at a Freestar plant. Siennas share the line with Camrys(they prioritize for "top selling sedan" ranks) and are only available when Toyota makes em. Its begining to change a bit for imports built in the US but its not the same as domestics do it per se.

When the order guides come out an the bank is open(17th), dealers can place orders, the orders will be made. If they do not order Mustangs, they will not get any. Ford also will most likely will force out a few to each dealer prior to Job1 like they did with the F-series and Freestar recently to get them out in public. Anything before that date is the same speculation by the dealer that we are doing now. There will be plenty of available units to order whatever you want and have it delivered on schedule. Once Job 1 is under way it takes the same 6-10 weeks depending on car(average is 7) as any other unit. And no they dont make 100 automatic redfires at a time from what I understand. The modern factory makes them in any order.
Old 3/22/04, 06:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kevin, Do you have any idea how their paint booth operates? (not sarcastic) That is the main drive in our production ( by the way all subaru legacys, outbacks, and bajas for north america are built in Indiana). In order to start the next color you have to blow out the guns, pipes, tanks, etc. here. Does ford have so many booths that this is not necessary? I dont know much about the new plant. A/T and M/T are not a big deal here. The big drivers are color related parts. Just questions that I am interested in.
Old 3/22/04, 06:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@Mar. 22nd, 2004, 6:26 PM
It can be a big deal to "order" an import car, most of the time you just wait until one just like you want shows up on the dock.
Which can make it a pain if you are looking for a specific option and no one can get you that car, say a sunroof or something.
Old 3/22/04, 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by BlackRiderX+Mar. 22nd, 2004, 8:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BlackRiderX @ Mar. 22nd, 2004, 8:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120@Mar. 22nd, 2004, 6:26 PM
It can be a big deal to "order" an import car, most of the time you just wait until one just like you want shows up on the dock.
Which can make it a pain if you are looking for a specific option and no one can get you that car, say a sunroof or something. [/b][/quote]
Thats why they make 5 or 6 packages, not ala carte options. You want a nav, you have to get everything.
Old 3/22/04, 06:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jarradasay@Mar. 22nd, 2004, 8:32 PM
Kevin, Do you have any idea how their paint booth operates? (not sarcastic) That is the main drive in our production ( by the way all subaru legacys, outbacks, and bajas for north america are built in Indiana). In order to start the next color you have to blow out the guns, pipes, tanks, etc. here. Does ford have so many booths that this is not necessary? I dont know much about the new plant. A/T and M/T are not a big deal here. The big drivers are color related parts. Just questions that I am interested in.
Ive only been to a few GM plants back in the day in Baltimore, they were making vans, they came out in all different colors at the end of the line Ive seen quite a few vehicles come in built on the same day that were totally different configurations and colors.
Old 3/22/04, 06:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

All I know is that if you go to a Ford dealer and order a new stang on the 17th, it will show up with the first shipments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happens on May 17th?