2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What to do? Need advice on my dilemma.

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/06, 06:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do? Need advice on my dilemma.

As my signature shows I've ordered an '07 GT with very specific options from a small local dealer with a small allocation. They ordered an '07 GT a month before mine and still do not have it. I have little hope of seeing mine before the end of the year. I've purchased a car from them in 2003 and they have been good to me, including giving me cost plus 10% on all parts I've bought. I've found a very similar car at a dealership in Chicago (100 miles east of me) including the spoiler delete, IUP, GT appearance pkg and premier trim. The interesting thing is I leased a 1997 F-150 flareside from them. They always seem to have cars/trucks that are tailor made for me. It does not have the 3.55 limited slip or the fanblades, but the 18" polished wheels are really growing on me. Basically, I would gain the comfort package and lose the trac-lok and black/dove interior I ordered. Having the car soon would be great, as we are juggling children to school and cub scouts, plus I've already sold my other car (2 months ago). I've read about people ordering and receiving their cars in as little as a month and it's been almost 2 since I've ordered and I'm still clean/unscheduled.

So, what would you advise? Can they cancel my order before it's been serialized and not take a hit? Do you think the Chicago dealership would trade with them (or would they do that for me)? I know I can just go to that dealership and get the car, but I don't want to undercut my salesman. I'm ready for my car and I don't want to wait another 3 months or however long it will take. I already have the financing secured, but the check I received is only good for 45 days and 15 of those are gone. HELP!
Old 10/5/06, 08:12 PM
V6 Member

Tough decision. I could have had an '06 that was almost identical to my '07 back in May. I waited and ordered exactly what I wanted. Hard to say if I regret not having it more during the summer months. It looks like you plan on using it as an everyday car so you're need is greater than mine.

Maybe if you tell your dealer you're thinking about cancelling your order and going for the other car he would call his Ford rep and get the ball moving on your ordered car. I think if they make some calls your car will be built & delivered within the next three to four weeks. It can be done, believe me. My dealer called his rep and said WTF. I had the car a month later (after waiting 4 months for it to be scheduled).
Old 10/5/06, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Get it if you can....I am sick and tired of waiting....6 to 8 weeks I was told...Well, it is now 10 weeks and no allocation...Add 5 to that if I am allocated tonight and you are looking at 15 PLUS weeks...I think more like 20...That is why Ford is not doing so well....I am sick of this ....
Old 10/6/06, 06:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Personally, I would wait to get exactly what you ordered. And I would change to the 18" polished if you can. Although I hear that there is currently a delay on getting them. Whining to your dealer will do nothing. He can't control the allocation process. Stay to course.
Old 10/6/06, 08:38 AM
GT Member

Talk with your original salesman. Dealers are constantly making deals with other dealers to get the cars their customers want. I would assume it is more difficult since the Mustang is so popular, but you won't know unless you ask. But that seems to be your second choice for cars. I would wait on the exact car you ordered. Maybe you could rent a car for a reasonable cost while you wait if you need a car that badly.
Old 10/6/06, 09:00 AM
GT Member

The dealer could work a deal with the other guy in Chicago to get the other Mustang, but then you'd be settling for less than you wanted, and might end up regretting it. I'd go in and let them know they're about to lose your business, and see what they say. They can probably put a bug in Ford's ear and get your car going.
Old 10/6/06, 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
I think you should give your dealer the chance to do something before you walk. Also, you are "accepting" a car that isn't what you wanted. I assume that you will be keeping it for a while? Trust me when I say that the options you DIDN'T get will grate away at you and you will not be happy.

(speaking from experience!! cough cough **fanblades** cough cough)
Old 10/6/06, 12:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you pay a deposit with your order and if so is it refundable? I think if they can't deliver in a resonable amount of time they should understand you going somewhere else.
If you did not pay in a resonable amount of time they sure would not have a problem taking the car back.
Old 10/6/06, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I think you should give your dealer the chance to do something before you walk. Also, you are "accepting" a car that isn't what you wanted. I assume that you will be keeping it for a while? Trust me when I say that the options you DIDN'T get will grate away at you and you will not be happy.

(speaking from experience!! cough cough **fanblades** cough cough)
I plan to keep this car for a long time. I realize that the options I don't get will be on my mind - I didn't get the Trac-Lok on my T-Bird and every time I floored it I remembered that. I do really want the dove interior - the sea of all black isn't exactly what I want.

Originally Posted by sts767
Did you pay a deposit with your order and if so is it refundable? I think if they can't deliver in a resonable amount of time they should understand you going somewhere else.
If you did not pay in a resonable amount of time they sure would not have a problem taking the car back.
I paid no deposit - they know me pretty well and I'm reputable enough that I won't leave them high and dry. I just keep wondering how long is long enough...
Old 10/6/06, 01:58 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Embalmer
... they have been good to me...
... Do you think the Chicago dealership would trade with them...
A good relationship is worth the wait, besides, it seems your word was your deposit. There have been enough topics reflecting the lack of honor of some dealers, honor is a two way street.

I see nothing wrong in approaching the dealer and ponder a possible trade with another dealer, although it might affect the deal you agreed on.
Old 10/20/06, 10:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Found out from my dealership's sales manager that I'm scheduled for production the week of 11/6/06! Now the waiting gets easier with an end in sight!
Old 10/21/06, 04:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Good for you!!! As soon as you sit in your baby, you will forget all about the waiting since you will be smiling so much!!!
Old 10/21/06, 07:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CONGRATS JAMES!!!!
Old 10/21/06, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Found out from my dealership's sales manager that I'm scheduled for production the week of 11/6/06! Now the waiting gets easier with an end in sight!
Glad to see you're going to wait for the car you really want. You won't regret it. If you haven't already, soon you'll realize that this was never a dilemma to begin with, and as frustrated as you were, you just needed to be patient a little longer. Good things come to those who wait.
Old 10/21/06, 09:51 AM
Cobra R Member

That's great James...... It sounds like a great dealership relationship you have. Welcome to the ranks!
Old 10/27/06, 09:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I love calling the ERL and hearing the words "LOCKED IN". Were there ever two better words said together?
Old 10/27/06, 10:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
Personally, I would wait to get exactly what you ordered. Whining to your dealer will do nothing. He can't control the allocation process. Stay to course.
+1