2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

What the 2005 is missing...

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/04, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MustangGuy@September 17, 2004, 6:21 AM
And really, black water jets for the WWashers! Come on Ford, paint them body color.
I absolutely love the car and these grips will not stop me from getting one. But some items of trim definitely need attention.
I will probably rile some members, but thats how I feel. And thats the truth :P
Have you ever noticed that on VWs that the washer jets are under the hood, keeping the top of the hood nice and clean? That is the one piece of the Stang that really bothers me...everything else is cool...

And to stay on topic, Chromed bumpers would be a pain in the wallet to replace after a run in with a mailbox...
Old 9/17/04, 10:48 AM
GT Member

You want chrome? Just get the alloy wheels....looks as good a chrome and you won't have to worry about rust sneaking in there.....then you get to be all shiny and stuff while not ruining the beauty of the '05.
Old 9/17/04, 10:59 AM

The Mini Cooper is one example of chrome well done, but I would have little confidence as to whether Ford could or would pull it off with such a deft, refined and artistic eye.

Rather, I think, it would be driven more by crass marketing-department demands for chrome-for-chrome's sake and it would get tacked on rather clumsily and heavy handedly, not unlike the ungainly dumbo-eared side (non) scoops and J.C. Whitney-esque hood (non) scoop on the current GT.

IF they were able to pull such a thing off as well as Mini did, what about somethig a bit different than simple been there, done that chrome? Maybe something more like a brushed stainless steel or sateen finish metal? What about some different metal like titanium or something? Just something showing some refined but forward thinking original design elements rather than constantly trudging back to the retro bin.
Old 9/17/04, 12:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's one more thing is missing on the 05 Mustang it is a running pony on the side fenders on the V6s Mustangs
Old 9/17/04, 01:15 PM
Cobra Member

It's official... One more thing somebody's found to nitpick about the new Mustang: Washer fluid jets.

Chrome can also add weight, unless you don't mind chromed plastic which will chip and flake in a few years time. Chrome bumpers are heavy because they must be made of metal, and a thick metal, at that. If it's shiny things that intrigue you, the grill pony and all badges have the look of chrome.
Old 9/17/04, 01:26 PM
V6 Member

THE MIRRORS SHOULD BE HALF CHROMED LIKE THE 500. THE WINDSHEILD FRAME ON THE NEW VERT SHOULD ALSO BE CHROMED. OTHERWISE IT LOOKS TOO MUCH LIKE A CHOPPED VERT. NO MORE NEW CHROME IS NEEDED ON THIS CAR,IY HAS ENOUGH ALREADY. THE 05 HAS CLASSIC CLEAN LINES THATS ENOUGH!
Old 9/17/04, 01:29 PM
Cobra Member

WHY ARE WE YELLING?!
Old 9/17/04, 01:34 PM
V6 Member

I AM SORRY. I AM AT WORK AND HAVE TO USE CAPS TO LOAD THIS WORK I AM DOING IN THE COMPUTER. i will try to remember to take off the cap lock next time..........................
Old 9/17/04, 02:00 PM

Greetings... pardon my first post...but I had to chime in on the Chrome issue. First, if you're gonna bring back the "67' Mustang", bring back the Chrome!! I recently "bumped" into a small tree with the wife's Highlander...and did $1000 damage. On the other hand, I whacked a 4 point buck in my "Chrome-bumper" Tundra doing 45mph, and wiped the damage off with a rag and a spoonful of Chrome polish. If you've looked behind these plastic bumpers, it's nothing more than packing foam. Take note of the number of cars out there with big pushed in dimples...that are too expensive for people to repair out of pocket..and not enough to claim with insurance. It's a scam. If the Highlander had metal / Chrome bumpers, this would have been a non-issue. Manufacturers know, people are gonna bump things...and insurance companies know, people aren't going to submit a claim on a $900 bumper repair. Car owner gets burned, body shop & car manufacturer make money, insurance company keeps nose clean. I think the 05' GT would have more muscle with some Chrome bling bling... IMHO. btw... I'm jealous of all you getting 05's .. ;-)
Old 9/17/04, 03:12 PM

Ford didn't want to "bring back" the '67 Stang, rather, they wanted to reflect some of the general character of the early Stangs, not replicate them. That's the difference between "Retro" and "Repro" that I mention (ad nauseum :-).

There is, I believe, a danger in "retro" designs in going to far, in essence, trying to much to recreate specific design elements essentially 1 for 1. The risk is that the shelf life of such designs will be short for all but a limited set of hardcore Stang mavens, but bringing little fresh blood to a line to carry it forward into the future. Granted, its a fine line, and one I don't think the '05 Stang has crossed, though I think the Concept Stang did a bit better job of using a slightly more modern design interpretation than the production version.
Old 9/17/04, 05:06 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are not too many cars that I can think of that look good with chrome trim made in the last 20 years.

In my mind, any use of chrome on the '05 would be a tacked-on afterthought. The design is just so clean.
Old 9/17/04, 05:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by SVTJayC@September 16, 2004, 11:36 PM
Just say no to chrome...

Just say no!!! :nono: and I mean it.

Old 9/17/04, 05:55 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't mind a very SMALL amount a chrome, if it were done tastefully. I've wonderd how chrome door handles would look, giving it a more retro look and breaking up the solid color of the side view. (and just the handles, not the whole assembly)

As for what I think the '05 is missing... the "hump" or "shoulder" just behind the door that was on every Mustang from 64 1/2 to '70.

I've been wanting that ever since they claimed the "new" '94 was retro.

Jason
Old 9/17/04, 08:06 PM
GT Member

For those who want more of the shiney stuff, I'm sure someone will come out with a billet grill replacement for the '05.
Old 9/17/04, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't forget, one can always get the 20" chromed rims that keep turning even though you've stopped. They're only like $1200 per rim -- a bargain by any stretch! :P
Old 9/17/04, 10:51 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by Stickman@September 17, 2004, 1:03 PM
Greetings... pardon my first post...but I had to chime in on the Chrome issue. First, if you're gonna bring back the "67' Mustang", bring back the Chrome!! I recently "bumped" into a small tree with the wife's Highlander...and did $1000 damage. On the other hand, I whacked a 4 point buck in my "Chrome-bumper" Tundra doing 45mph, and wiped the damage off with a rag and a spoonful of Chrome polish. If you've looked behind these plastic bumpers, it's nothing more than packing foam. Take note of the number of cars out there with big pushed in dimples...that are too expensive for people to repair out of pocket..and not enough to claim with insurance. It's a scam. If the Highlander had metal / Chrome bumpers, this would have been a non-issue. Manufacturers know, people are gonna bump things...and insurance companies know, people aren't going to submit a claim on a $900 bumper repair. Car owner gets burned, body shop & car manufacturer make money, insurance company keeps nose clean. I think the 05' GT would have more muscle with some Chrome bling bling... IMHO. btw... I'm jealous of all you getting 05's .. ;-)
hmmm...
you got a point there!

and maybe thats why the bumpers on SUV's, minivans, and trucks are higher then the normal cars bumpers!!!

darn greedy people out there, taking away our moneys. why dont they put metal inside instead of that crappy foam??? dont say cost, cause having metal installed there would cost less than having to repair a foamy bumper and everything else that fender bender destroyed because of the weak foam
Old 9/18/04, 06:25 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sure someone will create chrome parts for the car but personally I don't like the looks of chrome on the 2005 unless it is on 19" rims