2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went Mustang Shopping This Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 7/24/05, 05:21 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have my dealer picked out for my ’06 GT (out of state). I’m just waiting to tie up loose financial ends before I order.

I decided to visit a few local dealers just to see what the typical dealer atmosphere is. I wasn’t going to take much of their time, but I did want to see (verify) if MSRP or MSRP+ was still the going rate, and basically see how a (prospective) Mustang buyer is treated.

Well, it was like I was downtown in the worst neighborhood, soliciting street hookers. It was as if the salesmen were saying “hey baby, I’ve got what you want, I know you want it, and if you don’t want to pay my price, there are ten guys behind you who will”. :shock:

Now, this is not a revival of the paying MSRP or paying over MSRP. Personally, I would not. But I believe in the freedom for the dealers to charge what they can and for buyers to pay what they want. My issue is the complete lack of respect I received and the perception that I was a frothing dog that would kiss their --- just for the honor of letting them sell me a Mustang. :angry:

Needless to say, I am even more committed to the dealer I chose. Not just for the price, but for the treatment. One day these Mustangs will become simply another car. Popular and desirable - sure. But the feeding frenzy will be over and the dealers will be back to wanting my business. I have a long memory and I hope the people here do as well.

Dave
Old 7/24/05, 05:26 PM
V6 Member

Go take a bath... then get tested... i would hate to go looking for a mustang and getting herpes from a dealer... even worse, herpes at higher then MSRP!
Old 7/24/05, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

went to get my wife's 04 explorer washed today at the local brushless carwash and saw a guy getting his 05 WB V-6 washed. When he told me he got it for 30k and not the 32k the dealer was asking...well...well...I think he needs to get tested SOON! I mean it looked like the base model. I didn't have the heart to tell him my 06 gt at xplan is under 28k! Oh well, he'll never see me at the carwash with my GT anyway!
Old 7/24/05, 06:14 PM
Cobra Member

== When he told me he got it for 30k and not the 32k the dealer was asking...well...well...I think he needs to get tested SOON!==

Good grief, please tell me it was a vert. That's a pretty stiff markup on a vert, if it was a coupe then the guy must be sporting a #9 poop chute after that "deal"!
Old 7/24/05, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

It was a coupe, and as proud as he was of his "deal", I'd wager on it being a #10!
Old 7/24/05, 08:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by dapmustang@July 24, 2005, 5:24 PM
I have my dealer picked out for my ’06 GT (out of state). I’m just waiting to tie up loose financial ends before I order.

I decided to visit a few local dealers just to see what the typical dealer atmosphere is. I wasn’t going to take much of their time, but I did want to see (verify) if MSRP or MSRP+ was still the going rate, and basically see how a (prospective) Mustang buyer is treated.

Well, it was like I was downtown in the worst neighborhood, soliciting street hookers. It was as if the salesmen were saying “hey baby, I’ve got what you want, I know you want it, and if you don’t want to pay my price, there are ten guys behind you who will”. :shock:

Now, this is not a revival of the paying MSRP or paying over MSRP. Personally, I would not. But I believe in the freedom for the dealers to charge what they can and for buyers to pay what they want. My issue is the complete lack of respect I received and the perception that I was a frothing dog that would kiss their --- just for the honor of letting them sell me a Mustang. :angry:

Needless to say, I am even more committed to the dealer I chose. Not just for the price, but for the treatment. One day these Mustangs will become simply another car. Popular and desirable - sure. But the feeding frenzy will be over and the dealers will be back to wanting my business. I have a long memory and I hope the people here do as well.

Dave
Those Pony Pimps!

Old 7/25/05, 05:44 AM
Bullitt Member

That is what I wanted to avoid when I bought my car. So I wrote a memo with what I wanted, and faxed it to 15 dealerships. 11 replied, and the best price was the one I picked up. Had to set my foot on only one dealership, and avoided all of that hassle.
Old 7/25/05, 07:21 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by psychen6@July 25, 2005, 7:47 AM
That is what I wanted to avoid when I bought my car. So I wrote a memo with what I wanted, and faxed it to 15 dealerships. 11 replied, and the best price was the one I picked up. Had to set my foot on only one dealership, and avoided all of that hassle.
smart move - saved alot of face time hassle
Old 7/25/05, 09:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

I did the same. E mailed the closest dealership with the specs I wanted and that I had an X plan pin, they said no problem, coem down and order. I went in, we put it in the comp, shook hands and that was it. I was actually amazed at how smooth everything went.
Old 7/25/05, 01:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have a long memory and I hope the people here do as well.

Yup me too. The local dealer here is running TV ads with an older customer who's bought like 16 cars in his lifetime from him, with the tagline "We want you to be a customer for life." This was the same dealer for whom I had three different salesmen try to gouge me for thousands over MSRP for the Mustang. That guy may have bought 16 cars from him but I doubt he knew beans about how much he should be paying. He probably paid sticker for all of them. At that rate, he could've had 18 cars instead of 16!

I ended up going out of state also to find a dealer willing to work with me and not treat me like a number or not worth their time b/c I have more brains than money.

psychen6 - sounds like you've been to fightingchance.com, like me!
Old 7/25/05, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went to the same dealership I ordered my '04 F150 from. Both vehicles on X-Plan. This year, the Internet salesman I worked with on the F150 was promoted to Sales Manager, and he still took my order personally.

I'll keep going back to that dealership!
Old 7/25/05, 02:49 PM
GT Member

My local dealer has been in operation since 1913! They still operate out of a barn! Great bunch of guys. Will do anything for you. I brought 3 cars from them. Got my 05 GT premium coupe with IUP for $29K. Like to keep the business local whenever I can.
Old 7/25/05, 03:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Bought a Windveil Blue V6 'Vert, Premium pack, A/T with interior and exterior upgrades, plus spinners, sticker was 28750.00. Paid Invoice (26,622.00) I was able to pick one from their allocation list, and have it built "MY WAY" (actually my wife's way and color). Granted I've been doing business with Quirk Ford for years, and have brought many friends to Tom and Aaron as well, but no hard-balling, no headaches and car was delivered with inspection sticker, plates and a full tank of gas! Now if I can get in line for a Shelby Convertible....
Old 7/25/05, 03:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Forgot to mention that my brother sells at another local Ford dealer and they would not go below sticker on a 'Vert (even for family), but they would not charge me the 1000.00 mark-up they have placed on the V6 'Verts. (3000.00 GT Coupes, 5000.00 GT 'Verts) but I would have had to wait until end of July for the car. Quirk was 5 weeks from order to delivery (06/01/05). A highly recommended place to buy ANY new Ford.
Old 7/25/05, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by delz05@July 25, 2005, 3:54 PM
Forgot to mention that my brother sells at another local Ford dealer and they would not go below sticker on a 'Vert (even for family), but they would not charge me the 1000.00 mark-up they have placed on the V6 'Verts. (3000.00 GT Coupes, 5000.00 GT 'Verts) but I would have had to wait until end of July for the car. Quirk was 5 weeks from order to delivery (06/01/05). A highly recommended place to buy ANY new Ford.

i had to wait, scratch that, still technically waiting for my 05' on an A-plan order---of which i heard they shelved them for several months---at any rate---before taxes---my GT VERT will run around $29,400---worth the wait, sort of--- :scratch: