2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Went autocrossing over the weekend, had a blast!

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/05, 02:30 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to a Capital Driving Club event near Potomac Mills, my first time autocrossing ever. Now keep in mind, I'm coming from a 3.1L 1998 Chevy Lumina, so I've never owned a nice car before. I was basically a newbie, but it was so much fun! Never had an opportunity to really find out the limits of the Stang without getting a ticket, and it was awesome squealing the tires around hairpin turns. I didn't do especially great, considering most of the field consisted of modified Evos, STIs, and S2000s, but I had fun doing it.

The car definitely needs some wider tires to start with...255s or 275s perhaps. I went with my brother who owns a 98 Camaro SS with suspension mods and 315s, and he beat me by about 2.5-3 seconds. He actually did very well. So, just wanted to say how awesome it was, and I will definitely be doing it again. I highly recommend the experience for all you Pony Express people.

Old 6/15/05, 02:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sounds cool. I've never done autocross before either. What is it, and how do you register? Ride on the track the whole time? Any safety prep to the car? How much does it cost?

Lots of questions, but it sounds like fun!
Old 6/15/05, 02:34 PM
GT Member

I'd like to run at Watkin's Glen someday :drive:
Old 6/15/05, 02:43 PM
V6 Member

Autocrossing in general is where you set up a course on a big empty parking lot using traffic cones to mark where the course leads. I was able to get a slot through my brother, who belongs to the club...I also signed up after my first set of runs because I had so much fun. The day went like this: show up, get all the stuff out of your trunk and the rest of your car, go get checked out (they make sure the tires are on, engine is in working order, etc.). There were 4 heats, I lucked out and got in the first one.

Once everyone gets teched, heat 1 was called. Half of heat 1 goes out to work the cones (replacing cones that get knocked over, etc), and the other half races. Timing is done electronically, and once you finish your race, you go back into line to wait for the next run. 3 runs per heat. After 3 runs are done, if you're driving, you park and go work cones, and if you were working cones, you get in your car and line up to race.

After the heat is done, you are free to do whatever until your heat comes up again (usually a few hours). I mostly watched the other heats race. Registration cost $25 for members, $35 for non-members. The overall course isn't very long...my best time was 31 seconds, and the best time was somewhere around 26 or 25 I believe. Some courses are bigger...this one was set up in a fairly small lot.

There is also SCCA autocrossing, which breaks people up into classes (stock class, modified, etc.) This event was kinda nice because there weren't any classifications, and people were pretty laid back about it. I've heard that SCCA is more strict and intense, which is fine if you're really looking to compete. I might try it someday once I become more experienced, but for the time being I'm just there for fun.

Hope that answers some questions
Old 6/15/05, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any photos?
Old 6/15/05, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did I hear "Pony Express" mentioned?

AutoX is very cool for starting out. Did my first one in 1968. :scratch:

Try to do a faster course & you will keep up with & or bet the imports.

Then do track days after you get some experience. Have fun.
Old 6/15/05, 03:08 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I took my car out about 3 weeks ago here in Washington, I've done it a few other times in my Fiero and my old Toyota truck (S-Runner). The Mustang was great, but definitely needs better rubber. Here's a couple pics of my, the first one on my way back to staging after a run, with a huge grin on my face under the helmet. The second is out on the course, just after the start. I made 4 runs, with a best of 51.7 seconds, and then I let one of the more experienced club members drive it once, and he ran a 50.1 on his first and only run. I have a lot of work to do!
Old 6/15/05, 03:43 PM
V6 Member

Wasn't able to get any pics, since both me and my brother were in the same heat. Next time I plan on getting some video, though.

Actually, jayguy has basically the same car as me, so just imagine that those are my pics too
Old 6/15/05, 05:25 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Quick, someone photoshop Stangarang's head into my picture.