2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Well that's weird. Maybe y'all came help

Old 3/10/18, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 386 Likes on 283 Posts
Thanks again Boss, I had found that TSB in my research. I quite sure Ford won't honor it since it been awhile since it was issued, but I am going to ask the service writer.

For you old guys like I am it dawned on me that it acts just like a "vapor lock" in the old cars we used to drive.
Old 3/17/18, 10:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
No tune my friend. She's stock. In my searching I found that there was a fuel pump TSB 06-9-9. It describes exactly whats happening to mine. However, I'm not sure if ford will honor a TSB that old, and I'm not even sure that is the fix.
I was just going to suggest the fuel pump issue. My '06 did it from day one of my ownership (about 1000 miles on the odom). But it would only do it if I had been cruising a constant speed for any amount of time over about 30 minutes. I never noticed it in the city, but when I got a job where I was on the interstate for an hour, it would do it after getting off the exit.

Would come to a complete stop, and then as soon as I would get going again, it would lose power for a split second, and then kick in and buck. Always made me feel like an idiot if there were others around.

I never did get the fuel pump checked out, but what I did do to "solve" the issue was when I'd be coasting up the off ramp, I would blip the gas really hard for a second. That usually made sure there'd be no bucking once I got going again.
Old 3/18/18, 11:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by woody24
I was just going to suggest the fuel pump issue. My '06 did it from day one of my ownership (about 1000 miles on the odom). But it would only do it if I had been cruising a constant speed for any amount of time over about 30 minutes. I never noticed it in the city, but when I got a job where I was on the interstate for an hour, it would do it after getting off the exit.

Would come to a complete stop, and then as soon as I would get going again, it would lose power for a split second, and then kick in and buck. Always made me feel like an idiot if there were others around.

I never did get the fuel pump checked out, but what I did do to "solve" the issue was when I'd be coasting up the off ramp, I would blip the gas really hard for a second. That usually made sure there'd be no bucking once I got going again.
That's a dang good idea Woody, and a heck of a lot cheaper. Now, if I can just remember to do that.
Old 3/18/18, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
When I had my 05 I had the same fuel problem as woody24 described. It only happened when cruising long times on the interstates in the US. Around my city it would never replicate. Took it to the dealer, of coarse they couldn't find an issue. I finally showed them the TSB and they changed the pump under warranty. The next year on holidays in the US I had no problems.

I see rock auto sells just the strainer. Might be worth a try before changing the whole pump assembly.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (3/20/18)
Old 3/18/18, 02:40 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,578 Posts
Until showing them the TSB, it doesn't surprise me in the least bit about not finding anything wrong. As it was their lame excuse for not wanting to replace the fuel pump at their cost. Just consider yourself fortunate that you came across the TSB while your car was still under factory warranty!
wanted33 (3/20/18)
Old 3/18/18, 05:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Lime GT
I see rock auto sells just the strainer. Might be worth a try before changing the whole pump assembly.

Would replacing just the strainer solve the problem? Might have to do this as well. I have had the "lurch" happen but I wrote it off to my aging clutch or bad COP.

Then again, my fuel pump is old now, maybe I should just R&R the whole assembly. Thoughts?
Old 3/19/18, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Until showing them the TSB, it doesn't surprise me in the least bit about not finding anything wrong. As it was their lame excuse for not wanting to replace the fuel pump at their cost. Just consider yourself fortunate that you came across the TSB while your car was still under factory warranty!
Yes your right and I also don't have any roads here long enough, without a stop, that would reproduce the problem so this particular dealership would probably not have had many if any complaints of that nature.

This website, I believe when owned by Brad Barnett, had the TSB's listed which helped me immensely with the first model year build problems my 05 had. However since being sold this website has now blocked all TSB's from being read. Most other Forums seem to be the same. Must be sponsored by companies that make money selling TSB's to the consumer or manufacturers that don't want their customers coming back for free defect repairs while under warranty. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to perform any TSB's related repair to your vehicle on your dime after warranty has expired.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...letins-400931/

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...vice-bulletins
Old 3/19/18, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Would replacing just the strainer solve the problem? Might have to do this as well. I have had the "lurch" happen but I wrote it off to my aging clutch or bad COP.

Then again, my fuel pump is old now, maybe I should just R&R the whole assembly. Thoughts?
My condition only happened on long Interstate drives from Winnipeg to Minneapolis in summer heat. I would come to a stop on an off ramp, go to take off and there would be no hint of acceleration, like the car had stalled. I'd press my foot deeper into the pedal and all of a sudden I'd get full acceleration because of my pedal position. Kind of snaps your neck unexpectedly. So I can't say whether or not your symptoms are the same to comment but a strainer is a lot cheaper than a pump. I don't know if Ford redesigned the pump, the strainer or the positioning of both. I never saw my old pump to new to verify.
Old 3/19/18, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Back when I first started noticing this problem, I'm pretty sure I found a post here on the forums talking about it. The reason why I never bothered going to the dealer to get mine fixed was a few people on here (about 10 years ago) said the Ford dealers were re-installing them improperly, and causing even bigger problems.

I'm sure they've figured it out by now.
Old 3/19/18, 01:45 PM

Yes your right and I also don't have any roads here long enough, without a stop, that would reproduce the problem so this particular dealership would probably not have had many if any complaints of that nature.

This website, I believe when owned by Brad Barnett, had the TSB's listed which helped me immensely with the first model year build problems my 05 had. However since being sold this website has now blocked all TSB's from being read. Most other Forums seem to be the same. Must be sponsored by companies that make money selling TSB's to the consumer or manufacturers that don't want their customers coming back for free defect repairs while under warranty. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to perform any TSB's related repair to your vehicle on your dime after warranty has expired.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...letins-400931/

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...vice-bulletins
Hopefully, this link will load on here for you? It provides the complete TSB list for all 2005-07 Mustang 4.6 GT models. If the link doesn't load here, just copy and paste into a new browser.

http://www.s197forum.com/threads/tsb...ng-gt-4-6l.61/

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/19/18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 3/19/18, 11:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the link but I just traded my 05 in on a 17 with PP last Nov. I got to put 150 miles on it until the snow fell. It's been in the garage since but should be good to go in a couple of weeks. I'm sure others will be happy to be able to use the link to guide them with their issues. Come to think of it if the manufacturers are worried of TSB freebie overload maybe they should at least offer them for access after the standard warranty is over. At least the long term car owners can fix their issues or take to the dealership with TSB in hand to pay for the repair they want done.
m05fastbackGT (3/20/18)
Old 3/20/18, 10:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

My '06 is used mostly for around town, or a day trip that takes us on the back roads. There isn't any problem on those type trips. Like Lime GT's car mine does the dirty deed after a long run at constant speeds. I think I'll just leave it alone for now, and if I take to Myrtle Beach I'll remember to do the "throttle blip" after a long run as he suggested on. It's one of those problems that just isn't bad enough to put a new fuel pump on until it is really needed. Thanks for all of the help folks. You've been a lot of help.
m05fastbackGT (3/20/18)
Old 3/20/18, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the link but I just traded my 05 in on a 17 with PP last Nov. I got to put 150 miles on it until the snow fell. It's been in the garage since but should be good to go in a couple of weeks. I'm sure others will be happy to be able to use the link to guide them with their issues. Come to think of it if the manufacturers are worried of TSB freebie overload maybe they should at least offer them for access after the standard warranty is over. At least the long term car owners can fix their issues or take to the dealership with TSB in hand to pay for the repair they want done.
Congrats on your "17" with PP. Hopefully, all our rides will be good to go in a couple of weeks. However, mine definitely will not be today or tomorrow as we're expected to get between 1-3 inches of snow by tomorrow morning lol.

As for the manufacturers? I can't see them offering TSB access for customers even after their standard/factory warranties have expired, as doing anything for the consumer would be considered as an inconvenience as far as they're concerned But as you said, hopefully, others may benefit from the TBS link I provided earlier with fixing and troubleshooting any repair issues they may encounter down the road
wanted33 (3/21/18)