2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Well I finally got to drive one

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/04, 05:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I finally was able to drive a black 5spd GT last night at Len Stoler Ford in Owings Mills, MD. They had the car for a day (I know this because I was there the day before when it came in and at the time they thought they had a buyer locked in but the deal fell through) and it already had 60 miles on it. The interior was the charcoal which looked pretty much black to me with the IUP package. I’ll break my review down into sections. I drove the car about 8 miles.

The drive:
I was very impressed with the power of the car. Since I knew I wasn’t buying this one I drove it pretty hard. The acceleration felt effortless and the rumble of the exhaust is just about right. The only reason I can see anyone going aftermarket on the exhaust is just to be plain obnoxious since HP gains so far seem to be minimal. I breezed through traffic on the highway as if it was standing still. I had the Shaker 500 turned off and the road noise seemed to no greater then my 03 Accord Coupe. The handling of the car impressed me considered it wasn’t lowered or anything. The car felt very tight through the twisties and gave me more confidence then I had when I drove a 350z a little while back. I was impressed with the headlight/foglight output. It gave me a very HID like feeling even through its using standard lighting tech.

Shaker 500:
I only had the radio to work with as a source but I was getting some strong signal strength. The system sounds good for stock but not as good as I thought. I guess I’m so used to my current sound system to give it a fair shake. I can see it being fine for casual music listeners but audiophiles will be going aftermarket quickly.

Interior:
I thought the build quality of the car seemed on par with my Accord. The leather felt good on the seats but darn Ford should have stepped up and included at least driver side heated seats. The IUP really helps ad some flavor to what normally would be a plain interior minus the retro gauges. The e-brake handle looks out of place and I can see why so many people are looking for an aftermarket replacement. Overall, though everything seemed nice and I didn’t hear any rattles while I was driving.

So now it’s decision time for me. I really like the car and would like to be an owner but I have some issues. One I really like my Navi that I have in my current car and not sure I can give that up. I’ve dumped 7k into mods for my current ride so I’m going to have to pay to have it stripped and put back to stock. Then of course dealing with having to sell the car and then some of the aftermarket parts I won’t be able to use anymore. Decisions Decisions!
Old 11/10/04, 05:39 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did the Mustang drive compared to the 350Z? Could you give some details?
Old 11/10/04, 05:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Good writeup, thanks!

Why not just move your car with the aftermarket goodies still attached?
Old 11/10/04, 05:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Paris MkVI@November 10, 2004, 6:42 AM
Good writeup, thanks!

Why not just move your car with the aftermarket goodies still attached?
I might try to do that but most people don't appreciate the extra goodies, so I'm dealing with a limited amount of potential buyers. They just want something to drive around and don't care if it has a 16 way adjustable suspension that cost me $1,300. lol
Old 11/10/04, 05:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Falchion@November 10, 2004, 6:42 AM
How did the Mustang drive compared to the 350Z? Could you give some details?
Well the Mustang has the better interior hands down. One of the reasons I didn't buy a 350z when I bought my Accord was that I thought the interior felt and looked very cheap. When I drove it a little while back, it just reconfirmed my original impression. I'll go so far as to say it was better then the G35 Interior as well. Pre 05 though because the new G35 interior is on par if not a tad better. The Mustang also has much more interior room then both the 350z and G35.

I didn't get to drive the either the G35 or the 350z on the same road but I would have to say the Mustang has better ride quality then the 350z but not as good at the G35. There is much more power on tap in the Mustang at any RPM range. I had some issues adjusting to the quickness of the car. I can really see why Motortrend thinks a 5spd could pull off sub 5-second runs. My Accord runs 0-60 in 5.8 (6.2 stock) and it still really felt like a world of difference.

All three cars handle the twisties pretty well. I'd say that the Mustang would be able to keep up fine with a stock 350z and G35. I do like sitting a little closer to the ground in the 350z but that’s the only thing I can say I like more.
Old 11/10/04, 06:10 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, thanks bpmurr. I also test drove the G35 and didn't like it. It felt too heavy for me. I like the Mustang better too....

I never did test drive the 350Z, but I think it might be close to the G35 since they're built on the same platform.....
Old 11/10/04, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove a redfire GT last night for the first time, and I can't wipe the grin off my face! I'm now certain I'll be ordering one, but am convinced I'll be getting into some trouble. What's a good brand of radar detector? I loved how the car sounds and handles. The acceleration is unbelievable. I took it onto the highway and there was a perfect opening of traffic into the fast lane. I put the pedal to the floor and felt myself pinned the back of my seat. I was doing well above 100 when I took a look, but it sure didn't feel like I was going that fast. It was so effortless and had plenty more giddyup if I wanted it. This car is a total thrill to drive and to look at!!!

I agree with a post above about wanting a heated driver seat. I'll be looking into that as an after-market item to counter the cold Wisconsin winters. This will be my only car so I'm a little hesitant about driving in the snow. I be watching for posts about this when the snow starts to fly.

Still can't decide on a color. I'm thinking of Legend Lime but have to see it in person. It's unique and I love green! I might also like Windveil Blue, and the Redfire I drove was really beautiful. Honestly, I can see myself in all but the yellow and torch red. This is the hardest decision for me.
Old 11/10/04, 10:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by stargirl66@November 10, 2004, 8:24 AM
I drove a redfire GT last night for the first time, and I can't wipe the grin off my face! I'm now certain I'll be ordering one, but am convinced I'll be getting into some trouble. What's a good brand of radar detector? I loved how the car sounds and handles. The acceleration is unbelievable. I took it onto the highway and there was a perfect opening of traffic into the fast lane. I put the pedal to the floor and felt myself pinned the back of my seat. I was doing well above 100 when I took a look, but it sure didn't feel like I was going that fast. It was so effortless and had plenty more giddyup if I wanted it. This car is a total thrill to drive and to look at!!!

I agree with a post above about wanting a heated driver seat. I'll be looking into that as an after-market item to counter the cold Wisconsin winters. This will be my only car so I'm a little hesitant about driving in the snow. I be watching for posts about this when the snow starts to fly.

Still can't decide on a color. I'm thinking of Legend Lime but have to see it in person. It's unique and I love green! I might also like Windveil Blue, and the Redfire I drove was really beautiful. Honestly, I can see myself in all but the yellow and torch red. This is the hardest decision for me.
Windveil Blue is really nice when you see it in person. I thought it was a lighter blue but it really has a silver tint to it. It is probably my second favorite color behind Silver. I was really hoping the Sonic blue was more like the Daytona blue on the 350z but it almost looks purple on a cloudy day.
Old 11/10/04, 12:48 PM
GT Member

I agree with a post above about wanting a heated driver seat. I'll be looking into that as an after-market item to counter the cold Wisconsin winters. This will be my only car so I'm a little hesitant about driving in the snow. I be watching for posts about this when the snow starts to fly. HEATED DRIVER'S SEAT-AWHAT DO YOU NEED THAT FOR HEHE

Still can't decide on a color. I'm thinking of Legend Lime but have to see it in person. It's unique and I love green!

The Legend Lime looks GREAT in person. I think yo will like it! My husband is VERY particular & he really liked it. I switched form Torch Red-I think it really fits the retro look & there will be less of them on the road!