2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well any new racing stories from the streets?

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/05, 09:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know, i know its illegal!! :nono:
Old 2/7/05, 12:19 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really a racing story per se. However, I had a Cobra follow me into town and then pull up next to me at a light. He revved his engine and looked over to see me sitting at the light with my pregnant wife in the passenger's seat. Of course, I got the :nono: from my wife. Granted, he would've most likely blown us away anyway.
Old 2/7/05, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had a Mitsubishi Elclipse GT pull up behind me on the interstate and he was on my rear pretty hard. So I was doing about 80, then I threw it into 4th and dropped the hammer. I pulled away from him like he was standing still. At 120mph I noticed my hood began to start shaking like it had lift under it and it was going to rip right off. So I had to back off the throttle. Still smoked him though!!!!
Old 2/7/05, 06:32 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a yellow 2005 Mustang GT pull up next to me yesterday and he started reving so off we went. I got about 3 car lenghts on him so at the next light we did the same thing and the same result. We both had manual tranny's but his was all stock and mine slightly modified. I am guessing both my mods and driving experience was what made the difference. We sat and chatted for a while cause he has only had his for a week.
Old 2/7/05, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah driving experience still factors in. My 2005 GT is my first manual car, and my first V8. I still don't know how to launch it perfectly. Recently I was at a light with last years GT, and we both started off normal, but then I noticed he wasn't getting out of 1st. He wanted to see if I would bite. I just floored it, popped it into second with a chirp, and kept going till the next light. I had him the whole way, but not by a whole lot. My car was definately faster, but with more driving experience I think I can make the difference more.

I also saw a completely supped up WRX on the highway. The license plate said "I8URV8." I gave him a head nod for respect but neither of us were thinking about racing.

I've run up with a supped up IS300 before, and we were EQUAL. He had a custom paint job on the whole car, with all-round body kit and wing, plus exhaust and tinted windows... but I'm not sure what he had done to the engine (I am sure intake at LEAST). Anyway, I saw him get in the left lane and we both crept up to 100mph before we ran into some traffic. Then we both saw the right lane open up and with a puff of black smoke he floored it. I did the same, dropped it to 3rd, and kept right with him to 125mph or so. Then some suburban was getting into our lane up ahead and swerved back into his lane. The IS300 dipped into the shoulder and hit a bit of dirt, but I could tell from this that he hasn't upgraded his brakes! My brakes were definately way better than his, and even in my hurry back to 75mph I wasn't all the way on my brakes. Lemme tell you, 75mph seems SLOW after dippin' at those speeds. I'm not going to do that for a while, but man was it a rush. I topped out of 4th gear!

But the moral of this story is that I really don't think the Mustang is a highway sprinter. I just don't think the gearing is right for it. It really seems like a 6-speed would help this out. I mean you top out of 4th and all you have is the overdrive-like 5th gear to work with.
Old 2/9/05, 07:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

me and my buddy were messin around on rt 130 the other night and me and him were gonna race, but to make it more interesting, a third car pulled up to the line, Nissan 350Z!!! Oh man, just from driving one of these babies cause my dad has one, its a good car. silver. so at the traffic light, its a trans-am ram vs. 05 Mustang GT vs 350Z, light goes green, off the line goes the the Z, flyin down the road at about 70 MPH me and my buddies trans am are head and head, inchingly gaining on the Z. Just as I'm slammin into 5th gear at about 110, I hi the gas and I'm out, Trans Am comes in second and the Z rices to third, wow what a race. Pulled over to the side of the road, guy in the congradulated me and drove off, buddy was shocked that my 05 kicked the trans ams but. It was a great race though, I thought my buddy's trans am would have had me, but hey, looks can be deceiving!
Old 2/9/05, 07:54 AM
Bullitt Member

You went into 5th gear at 110? That's fourth gear territory. Were you just slowing down at that point, or were you just not wringing out the engine? Nice kills on both the 350 and the trans am. So the 350 had the early lead but you took over?
Old 2/9/05, 08:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 2/9/05, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Maybe it me, but going over 100 on a public street is not the smartest idea, no matter how skilled of a driver you think you are.
Old 2/9/05, 10:30 AM

First, I have a 02 Mustang GT manual, yesterday night was pretty exiting, I was changing freeways and the intersection had a 360 degrees turn, I notice the car in front of me just when through it without slowing down, I decided to catch up and then I realize it was a Lancer with a bodykit just like an Evo, maybe an Evo but I'm not sure, I passed him slowly and then him just took off, I think I heard air escaping from his car so maybe it had turbo, I followed him and blowed him away way to easy in just few seconds, so I decided to slow down and wait, he catched up and lined up right next to me, we slowed down to about 60 mph, I dropped into 3th gear, revved several times and waited for his move, I let him kick it first just to make sure he was already trying to race me, then I catched up and pass him in less than 2 seconds, very easy kill, that is why I don't think it was an Evo, right after that he just took the ramp and went away, maybe embarrass.

Right when I was thinking to take it easy and enjoy the rest of the my drive, a WRX passed my fast followed by a Honda (maybe Prelude), the WRX had some body work done and I think it had the Sti spoiler, surely it had some mods done but likely it wasn’t an Sti, so there I go again, I passed the Honda (very easy), the WRX was trapped in the traffic so I catched up to it right there, I followed him into another freeway, traffic in front of him cleared up and he punched it first at about 65mph, like two seconds later I dropped it into 3th gear at ~65mph and followed, he was ahead of me but I was gaining and getting closer and closer, then I went into 4th gear right at 6100rpms (~97mph), finally I was able to catch up and pass him at around 120mph (in 4th gear), then at about 130mph I hit the rev limiter so I had to go into 5th gear, I hit the brakes at around 140mph with good two car ahead of the WRX. We slowed down and I was trying to line up to him so we could have a clearer race, but he took off hard again at about 90mph when I was still slowing down, so there I go again after him, I dropped into 3th gear at 90mph, everything went similar as before but this time we went all the way to 145mph, at the end I had more than three cars length on him, then when we were slowing down he just took the ramp and went away, maybe his exit or maybe embarrass.

This was a close race were my 02 GT was clearly faster over a that modded riced up WRX, thank goodness because I would hate to lose to a riced up WRX, very exiting, but also very dangerous, and also very stupid, but hey, soon I won’t have the age to do stupid things any more :notnice:

From regular cruising driving, my rule for my 02 Mustang GT manual with stock gears to put it into the maximum of my powerband:

If between 30-60mph: drop into 2th gear.
If between 60-90mph: drop into 3th gear.
If more than 90mph: drop into 4th gear.
Always shift to next gear right at 6000rpms.
Old 2/9/05, 11:15 AM
FR500 Member

I was behind a '98 Cobra this past weekend, and he was going extremely slow. I was pretty much on his tail, because there was a car in the other lane and I couldn't go around him (I was in a rush, by the way). All of a sudden, he slammed the accelerator... I saw lots of smoke coming out of his pipes, and it sounded really loud, but that was about it... once I saw him floor it, I did the same and in literally 3 seconds I was up on his tail again and when the road cleared I flew around him on the side and then in front of him. At the next light, he couldn't get on the side of me (there was a car) so he was behind me and when the light turned green we both floored it. Wasn't even a close race... I was at least a block ahead of him before the next light which was about a quarter mile away. I know an '05 modded GT can take a '98 Cobra, but his appeared to be modded also and I honestly expected better, even from a '98. But that's my latest story. I have plenty of others... from late 90's Camaros to the slowest cars you can think of trying to just **** me off. But, this car is extremely fast now after the little mods I've done. I'll be taking on something more of a challenge one of these days.
Old 2/9/05, 03:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by oatmeal@February 9, 2005, 10:57 AM
You went into 5th gear at 110? That's fourth gear territory. Were you just slowing down at that point, or were you just not wringing out the engine? Nice kills on both the 350 and the trans am. So the 350 had the early lead but you took over?
it was around that number 100-110 when I slammed into 5th gear, i really wasn't worried about the speed, i was more concerened about the tach meter and if anyone was passing me....
Old 2/9/05, 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

well it finally happened. today was my first race. first let me say yesterday was the first time that i floored it. i took it up to 110mph in no time. anyway tonight i went out to get some gas and saw a 2003-04 cobra. i gave some gas next to him so he would notice me. we pull up to the light and im ready to power brake it but then i noticed a car make a right turn on to the intersection and i said to myself f... well that car stayed on right side of road where it would end in say 500 feet. well i didnt notice this until a few seconds later and the light turn green and wasn't sure that the guy in the cobra was going to go at it. i was rolling at about 20 mph and then floored it . the cobra then did the same . i was kicking butt say up to 70-80 then he passed me and was pulling. i stopped after say 2 car lenghts which was probably around 100 plus. he gave me the thumbs up and i put down my window and he said i didnt think it was that fast. i told him i just floored for the 1 time(actually yesterday) anyway he tells me dont worry , i got 427 hp in this cobra. he said also nice car and take care. i had fun and dont feel so bad that i lost to another car i know i couldnt beat. if it was a GTO i would be pissed. 2 more weeks and will get my mods!!
Old 2/9/05, 08:20 PM
FR500 Member

The 03-04 Cobra's are no joke! Put a blower on yours though.....then it's a driver's race

It reminds me of a run I had year's ago when I had my 66' against a 427 Vette.

I was proud to keep his tail-lights in view
Old 2/9/05, 08:56 PM
FR500 Member

Dude, if you were kicking an '03 Cobra's butt, he was toying with you. He probably wasn't even giving it 60%. Now, an '04 GTO would be a driver's race. Seriously though... don't challenge an '03 Cobra... that's pretty much an insult. That's as bad as one of these ricer Civics getting on the side of me and reving it. Which has happened before. Respect an '03-'04 Cobra. Don't try and race it.
Old 2/9/05, 09:11 PM
Cobra Member

Ian, i knew i couldn't beat a cobra but i wanted to see how i would do.THAT ALL!! i know about all new cars what they can do in performance...i knew he wanted to go at it because he pulled next to me not needing to.... It wasn't from a complete stop, we were rolling and i know i gave the gun first. he beat me by 2 car lengths when i stopped."he was the one that said " i didnt think it was the fast"....
Old 2/9/05, 09:25 PM
FR500 Member

Seeing what the car can do is all fine and good... but IMO racing is so dangerous and illegal that you don't want to do it unless you really "need" to. As in, some ricer or Camaro challenges you at a light and it's worth the risk at that time, going by weather conditions and what/who is on the road. But, to challenge a fellow Mustang that comes with over a hundred HP more than you is just silly. And after all, you said that "today was your first race". That's just not a race. And to say that you were kicking a late model Cobra's butt up to 70-80 is silly in itself. I'm just saying... pick your battles, you know? And me personally... I would show a car of that caliber a little more respect. That's just me though. If you want to race a 425+HP car, at least race a Corvette... :P
Old 2/9/05, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

i figured it was a "family" member and it was ok. he was more excited than i was.
Old 2/10/05, 12:47 AM
Bullitt Member

i got canned by a supra on the freeway, had 5 cars on me from 80-130

i took an evo with turboback exhaust and chip...he was PISSED

i SMOKED 5 or 6 old gts

i got taken by half a car from 20-80 by a NA saleen

i got taken by eclipse with T-60 turbo by bout half car

i stomped on a firebird by a whole car

i edged out a stock sti from a roll

i got whooped so hard it looked like i was stopped at a light at 60mph by a turbo m3 (i know the guy tho, runs 11.7 @ 128mph)

i pulled on a nicely modded z28 on the freeway

i got pulled on by a c4 vette on the freeway

i walked all over an srt4 with so many mods it looked like a riced out fwd lambo-neon

350z's are easy pickings

i learned my lesson...dont fukc with hemi cuda's :nono:

an ss is just outa my league, pulled slowly but consistantly on me :notnice:

stock e36m3 lost, but u gotta make sure he don get the jump...or else...

g35 was no contest...well i mean from 20-60 it lost by a car

s2000 was quite slow :nono:

mach1 is barely faster...but he had exhaust, intake, and chip...not fair

and finally...5.0s are either really fast or reall really slow
Old 2/10/05, 03:13 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by elvism@February 9, 2005, 9:37 PM
i figured it was a "family" member and it was ok. he was more excited than i was.
He was getting excited at what's around the corner for the Cobra

Quick Reply: well any new racing stories from the streets?