2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

vid of 05 running the 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/04, 04:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In listening to sound on the video again it almost sounds like at about 1/8 mile one of the cars misses a shift or false neutral or something. Anybody else think they hear this?
Old 7/30/04, 04:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

yep inaccurate from one run one time one driver, as dan said.
I've seen cobras run mid to high 13's. Thats because drivers are horrible. Who knows, maybe that was his one and only attempt at the quarter.
People who go drag racing can relate to having a bad time. Not all of them will be prefect. I'm getting an 05 mustang and thats all I care.
Old 7/30/04, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

From the other thread it sounds as if it was a stick although it didn't seem like it. If thats the case, then it only makes matters worse. He couldn't of stinked that bad if he's the one your putting in the drivers seat to run the all new Mustang in front of the public. Unless it was a 90 year old woman behind the wheel, I think the car just didn't have enough go.
Old 7/30/04, 04:08 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

that video got me in trouuuubllllle.......

"the orange still on the lot?"
Old 7/30/04, 04:10 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This topic will be moot when MotorTrend or Car and Driver test this car in a few weeks. Then we will see topics about how 13.X is too slow"

I can see it now. "Those MotorTrend drivers stink. Only 13.X from a 3450lb car with 300hp",

or it will be that "Ford has over rated the HP for the Mustang again"

I'm going to predict that C&D and MotorTrend will be in the 13.8-13.9 range for a 5 speed. MM&FF will test one weeks later and get a 13.7.
Old 7/30/04, 04:15 PM
GT Member

Does anyone think this car was drag racing with Ford's blessing? I don't. I think some goon with a test car or mule took it to a track and didn't know how to drive.
If the car is really a 300 HP car and if this was really a 5 spd then the driver had no idea what he/she was doing. There were no revs built prior to green and no squirrlyness sp? no tire spin.(traction control or no)
Old 7/30/04, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

[quote]Originally posted by legendlimetime@July 30, 2004, 4:01 PM
I don't know why you guys are trying to defend this run... 14.2 is a shame and at only 96mph What a serious let down after all this hype.

Posts like this are ridiculous! Were you driving the car? If not, how can you say what a let down? Without way more information, this video is useless as a barometer for the 2005 Mustang's performance!

This is not in defense of this car just defense of common sense.
Ridiculous huh? So your telling me if this car ran a 13 flat in this vid it would be useless to us on determining how it will perform? You know darn well everyone on this forum would be jumping for joy if that was the case. But instead we get this is useless. The person who posted this vid should have used more common sense seeing as this video is "useless" to us. :notnice:
Old 7/30/04, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I've seen an 03 Cobra run a 15.x, as well as an almighty Mach 1. Can we please quit prejudging this car based on one video?

For those who say we'd be jumping for joy if it ran a 13 flat -- you're darn right! That would at least prove what it is CAPABLE of driven by a decent driver. The problem with a slower than expected time is that there are so many variables that make it impossible to tell. Everyone just simmer down, you'll find out soon enough what you can run at your track with your own 2005 Mustang GT.

Dave
Old 7/30/04, 04:26 PM
GT Member

I love the video and I'm thrilled and give thanks to those who brought it to us. I said the video was useless, "as a barometer of the 2005 Mustang's performance" and I stand by that statement. Yes if the video had the voice saying 13 flat then lots of people would be saying heck yeah instead of what a let down.
Old 7/30/04, 04:36 PM

I pray they missed a gear or that's a V6. My 99 GT auto went 14.2@98 bone stock.
Old 7/30/04, 04:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by HairyCanary@July 30, 2004, 4:24 PM
I've seen an 03 Cobra run a 15.x, as well as an almighty Mach 1. Can we please quit prejudging this car based on one video?

For those who say we'd be jumping for joy if it ran a 13 flat -- you're darn right! That would at least prove what it is CAPABLE of driven by a decent driver. The problem with a slower than expected time is that there are so many variables that make it impossible to tell. Everyone just simmer down, you'll find out soon enough what you can run at your track with your own 2005 Mustang GT.

Dave
Your right. That's was what I was thinking before I read your post. All these people need to relax and quit judging the car over this video.

Oh it's useless!!! I was going to buy one of those 05 mustangs but then I seen this one video before the car came out that showed it ran a 14.2 in the quarter. That's it! It's junk! I know it! Boy, ford is really in trouble....

Please.
Old 7/30/04, 04:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by legendlimetime@July 30, 2004, 5:18 PM
Does anyone think this car was drag racing with Ford's blessing? I don't. I think some goon with a test car or mule took it to a track and didn't know how to drive.
If the car is really a 300 HP car and if this was really a 5 spd then the driver had no idea what he/she was doing. There were no revs built prior to green and no squirrlyness sp? no tire spin.(traction control or no)
That's a good point... There's no way this was an official race with a pro driver supplied by Ford. They wouldn't be racing one in public for one, and much less would they be racing it against the last gen Mustang, or any car AT ALL for that matter. Thus, it could be ANYBODY driving that thing. I think someone will get fired over this.
Old 7/30/04, 04:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dr Iven+July 30, 2004, 4:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dr Iven @ July 30, 2004, 4:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-legendlimetime@July 30, 2004, 5:18 PM
That's a good point... There's no way this was an official race with a pro driver supplied by Ford. They wouldn't be racing one in public for one, and much less would they be racing it against the last gen Mustang, or any car AT ALL for that matter. Thus, it could be ANYBODY driving that thing. I think someone will get fired over this. [/b][/quote]
I think your right especially if the video really gets around.
Old 7/30/04, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by t69r00p69@July 30, 2004, 4:19 PM
Ridiculous huh? So your telling me if this car ran a 13 flat in this vid it would be useless to us on determining how it will perform? You know darn well everyone on this forum would be jumping for joy if that was the case. But instead we get this is useless. The person who posted this vid should have used more common sense seeing as this video is "useless" to us. :notnice:
There are so many fan-boys on here. It's almost pointless to read any threads on this board given the attitude most everyone has. Anything that suggests that the new Mustang may not be some perfect automobile is torn to shreds and said to be worthless... if it's not a complete fabrication, I'd like to hear what people have to say.

Granted, I'll form my own opinion when the car is available, but the new Mustang is clearly going to have some shortcomings. 300hp for $25,000 -- try to find another car that matches those specifications. You'll either pay a lot more, or get a lot less engine for that price.
Old 7/30/04, 05:08 PM
Cobra Member

Nah, I think people here are pretty level-headed... Just because we discredit this one track run doesn't mean we are having pipe dreams of how the new car will be. We have already picked apart the aspects of the car we can see, and if you'll notice, many here have found several things about the car they don't care for. I don't think there's a car out there that's perfect, nor is there any rational person that thinks there is.
Old 7/30/04, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Dr Iven@July 30, 2004, 5:11 PM
Nah, I think people here are pretty level-headed... Just because we discredit this one track run doesn't mean we are having pipe dreams of how the new car will be. We have already picked apart the aspects of the car we can see, and if you'll notice, many here have found several things about the car they don't care for. I don't think there's a car out there that's perfect, nor is there any rational person that thinks there is.
I posted the musings of some guy who supposedly got to drive the new Mustang GT, RX8, GTO, and 350z. People on here lambasted him for his opinion on the car -- he's wrong, because their opinion's are right? That's what I'm talking about... it's a lot of the same thing in this thread, that's my point.
Old 7/30/04, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by HairyCanary@July 30, 2004, 4:24 PM

Dave
You make a very valid point there. Although I have never seen a new cobra run 15's, I know track times can vary greatly. Track conditions is a big variable on what times you will be able to pull off. It just suprises me that most of you are not the least bit worried I'm hopefull that it will be able to run better than that, but the vid just got me a little concerned thats all. :scratch:
Old 7/30/04, 05:49 PM

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm

According to the calculator at the above website, a 3670lbs vehicle is generating 253 rear wheel horsepower or 299 flywheel horsepower if 1/4 mile trap speed is 96mph or duration is 14.2 seconds.
I am using 3470lbs vehicle + 200lbs for driver and fuel. Gasoline weighs 6.7lbs per gallon.

Is this truly an awful number for an automatic transmission, on street tires, with a tight suspension? I did not see the video. Was it during daytime? I presume this time of year is not optimal for 1/4mile times.
Old 7/30/04, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by t69r00p69@July 30, 2004, 3:44 PM
It just suprises me that most of you are not the least bit worried I'm hopefull that it will be able to run better than that, but the vid just got me a little concerned thats all.
I'm not at all worried, because the time is absolutely bogus -- my '95 GT trapped at 96 mph when it was stock, and stock horsepower for a 95 GT is 215. Ford can't overrate the GT's 300 horsepower, because they know exactly what would happen if they did. And even if it weighed 500 lbs more than a 2004, with 300 honest flywheel horsepower it would trap more than 95 mph.

Dave
Old 7/30/04, 05:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Why worry about an unknown driver with unknown skills or willingness to really flog it. It might be his first run in an 05. What till a skilled driver with a history of running other cars runs it hard. aka Magazine test.
edit: evil capri just got back from the track with his Mach 1 worst time 14.1 best 13.8 it takes time and effort to get good times B)

Quick Reply: vid of 05 running the 1/4