2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

vibration in wheels, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10/5/06, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vibration in wheels, please help!!!

I got 20 inch wheels put on my car, and it always vibrated…turns out it was the tire pressure sensor clanking in there…well that’s only part of the cause. The sensors are out and now its only the wheels and tires, and now it seems like there’s vibration in the steering wheel, when I make a left turn. When I make a right turn, it seems to go away completely. Could it be a tire problem?

The wheels do have hubcentric rings, however I read somewhere that the clips that hold the rotors in place need to be removed from the studs. I have yet to try that. In the meantime, have any of guys experience weird steering wheel vibration like this? If the clips come out and there’s vibration could it be a wheel problem? They assure me that they have balanced it properly…is it an alignment issue? The car goes in a straight line. The vibration starts around 50 mph (after making a left turn) and continues on…gets slightly lower when I speed up even more.

Can anyone please shed some insight? Im getting frustrated since I have only had this car for 3 weeks, and got the wheels put on like the 4th day after I got the car, so ive been struggling with this issue for a while.

Anything you guys suggest will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10/5/06, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the problem of shaking in the steering wheel when I first got my aftermarket rims. It turned out to be the two clips on each rotor. After I removed them the shaking went away.

Here's a couple of threads I've posted in about the problem if you wanted to read more about it.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=36569

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=44363
Old 10/5/06, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by f1-cobra
I had the problem of shaking in the steering wheel when I first got my aftermarket rims. It turned out to be the two clips on each rotor. After I removed them the shaking went away.

Here's a couple of threads I've posted in about the problem if you wanted to read more about it.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=36569

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=44363
+1 remove your wheels and remove the clips then reinstall your wheels to solve the issue. worked for me
Old 10/5/06, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 94tbird
+1 remove your wheels and remove the clips then reinstall your wheels to solve the issue. worked for me

great!! looks like ill need to try that
Old 10/6/06, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 94tbird
**** i just took off the front wheels and didnt see any clips...crap. what else could be the problem? i heard something about hubcentric rings...what do those look like??
Old 10/6/06, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been experiencing this steering wheel vibration since installing my new rims as well. Can anyone post pics of what these clips look like and where they are located? Thanks!
Old 10/7/06, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by S197 V6
I have been experiencing this steering wheel vibration since installing my new rims as well. Can anyone post pics of what these clips look like and where they are located? Thanks!
im assuming they are on studs directly...i did notice that i have hubcentric rings....man i cant figure out wy i have the vibrations.

would the next step be testing out the wheels on the GSP9700 and getting it road force tested to see if the rims are bent?
Old 10/7/06, 07:47 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
just jack it up and give them a spin- if theyre bent you'll see it. if theres noticeable lateral or radial runout youll see it...I think <.020 lateral, <.010 radial are about max tolerance on new wheels- if visibly bent and no clips
on the hubs, I'd be having a talk with the guy who mounted the tires...bigger wheels are bent a lot easier than smaller ones with same wall thickness...

someone asked for a pic of the 'clips'- they are just a 'serrated looking washer' pushnut the factory shoves over one or two studs to hold the rotors on the car so they dont fall off while travelling down the line till calipers/wheels go on.