2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

To vert or not to vert?

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/05, 10:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should order the vert or the hard top. When the vert top is up .. something about it bothers me and I'm wondering if everyone could tell me what they thought. It shouldn't be a hard choice, but man I'm loosing sleep over it! I have waited for my mustang since I was 13 .. now I want it to be just right.

I have included a picture of the part of the vert that is "bothering" me (even though that isn't the right word. I'm more unsure than anything else.) Highlighted in in blue as well.

[attachmentid=17076]

Oh! the other question, I went to the car show today and they had a red leather trimmed vert. I looked at the seats, and after 9 million ***** had sat in it ... the red was "dirty" looking and worn. What I'm wondering is... do you think that is a one off? I mean 9 million ***** versus me taking good care of my baby? Perhaps they detailing shop didn't use leather protectant or leather cleaner? Opinions? What do you think it will look like in 10 years?

Thanks in advance
Nathan

Edit: Spelling Mistake
Old 4/7/05, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I think the vert does lose some of the lines and the look of the coupe. But with the top down the thing does look pretty sweet. I'd say if you have pretty nice weather most of the year, go with the vert, as the top will be down most of the time. If ya got a long winter, get the coupe. Just my opinion, though.
Old 4/7/05, 11:04 AM
Bullitt Member

The reasons I chose coupe over convertible are twofold.

First, the coupe more closely resembles the 3/4 fastback design of the earliest models, while the vert leans more toward the sedan/notchback look of the same era. The loss of the B-pillars and 'opera' windows further emphasizes this difference.

Second, with the top down, the body line from front wheelwell to spoiler is decidely linear. I felt it lacked something. Je ne sais quoi.

Either way, you're gonna luv it!
Old 4/7/05, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by FireDragon@April 7, 2005, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I think the vert does lose some of the lines and the look of the coupe. But with the top down the thing does look pretty sweet. I'd say if you have pretty nice weather most of the year, go with the vert, as the top will be down most of the time. If ya got a long winter, get the coupe. Just my opinion, though.
I think it loses the lines as well. I don't like the boot either. Maybe it's because I already have a convertible at my disposal any time that really sealed it for me.

But in all farness get what you want, if I didn't have a convertible I would have be more likely to get it.
Old 4/7/05, 11:06 AM

Nathan,
it depends on what you want in a car... I ordered a GT Vert 'cause I've always wanted one. I had an '86 GT and back then, the performance was fantastic. The GT's today a far superior than even those were...
I have another vehicle to use in bad weather so I'm not worried about the vert... It'll stay in the garage.
I put snow tires on all four corners of my '86 GTand had very few problems in the snow. (I'm in CT so we see our share of snow)
So.. it comes down to what YOU want!!!
Good luck with your choice!
Old 4/7/05, 11:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

ok-

My first car (when I was 17 in 1999) was a 1996 convertible V6. I loved the thing to death, and it was my beach mobile. I had the top down 9 out of 10 times I drove it. Likewise, the interior over time degraded. Also, it was very rattly and noisy.

My second car (when I was 18 in 2000) was a 2000 convertible V6. Same story. Purchased it with 36k miles...and ran it up to 95k miles in 4 years. great car...but interior took a beating and it rattled like crazy/noisy.

I Third stang I purchased 2 months ago. A 2005 Coupe GT. Much quieter, the interior seems to be holding up better. I love having rear fold down seats and a bigger trunk. Definite +. but, on really warm sunny days....I miss the vert. I can still roll down the windows, and have it be windy...but it isn't the same.

I agree with you...something about the lines of the new 05 vert is not right. The coupe looks much more exotic and sleek IMO. That, along with keeping a better interior. I am now working 8:30-5:30 M-F, and do not spend much time in and out of the car as I did when I was full time in school. Plus, my morning surf sessions are walking distance from my work's parking lot...i.e. no in-and-out of me all wet and sandy.

Anyway...hope this helps. I too was nervouse from giving up my history of owning verts. I can honestly say I don't regret it.
Old 4/7/05, 11:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I love the lines on the hard top, but knew that I would not be happy if I did not get the convertible. I actually like the way my car looks whether the top is up or down.... as for the red leather? I LOVE IT...it seems to be holding up very well and I have not noticed it getting dingy or dirty.
Old 4/7/05, 11:26 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for all the responses. Keep them coming! Honestly I noticed that the windshield is actually different on the two (I think for air flow when the top is down).

Zig-Zag, You are right. I couldn't find the words for it but that is exactly what it looks like. Honestly if their was a factory (keyword) sunroof option, even it if it was close to vert costs. Decision would be made.

Leesi, Good to hear. Like I said, it was an extreme case where 9 million, or however many, ***** had sat in it with god knows what on their pants. I'm sure that with protectant and care the seats will stay purdy .

Nathan
Old 4/7/05, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Lirathal@April 7, 2005, 1:29 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Keep them coming! Honestly I noticed that the windshield is actually different on the two (I think for air flow when the top is down).

Zig-Zag, You are right. I couldn't find the words for it but that is exactly what it looks like. Honestly if their was a factory (keyword) sunroof option, even it if it was close to vert costs. Decision would be made.

Leesi, Good to hear. Like I said, it was an extreme case where 9 million, or however many, ***** had sat in it with god knows what on their pants. I'm sure that with protectant and care the seats will stay purdy .

Nathan
Nathan,

The convertible does lose the "fastback" look that the coupe has, but it's a tradeoff for being able to drop the top. The fastbacks in the late 60s, their convertible counterpart had the same problem, you lost that look. You;re also right about the windshield. On the convertible it's raked slightly more then the coupe to aid airflow when the top is down. I have a 2002 GT Convertible, and thought about 2005 coupe vs. convertible and ended up ordering the vert. -Mike
Old 4/7/05, 11:40 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the vert would be more fun to own, but I agree with the other responses, it just doesn't look as good as the coupe... top up or down.

I really wanted a vert for my next car so I considered getting the 05 topless, but my favorite Mustang of all time is the 65 Fastback, which is where the roofline of the 05 comes from so that's my favorite part of the 05. As much as I would've have enjoyed the vert, I just couldn't give that roofline.

That and I thought $5K was too much of a jump in price. $3k would have made it a little harder decision, but I think I still would have gone with the coupe.
Old 4/7/05, 11:47 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@April 7, 2005, 11:43 AM
I think the vert would be more fun to own, but I agree with the other responses, it just doesn't look as good as the coupe... top up or down.

I really wanted a vert for my next car so I considered getting the 05 topless, but my favorite Mustang of all time is the 65 Fastback, which is where the roofline of the 05 comes from so that's my favorite part of the 05. As much as I would've have enjoyed the vert, I just couldn't give that roofline.

That and I thought $5K was too much of a jump in price. $3k would have made it a little harder decision, but I think I still would have gone with the coupe.
See that is the problem. I'm getting the stanger at dealer cost anyway ... so either way I'm all right on price. It's the whole look of it. I just can't decide.

Screw it, I'll just buy the Shelby GT500 :worship:

Don't I wish.

I guess what I really am looking for is references to people's personal experiences and the differnces.

Are the verts that much more noisey? with the top up? I haven't taken one for a test drive yet so I'm waiting for a sunny day to do that.

Thanks Everyone
Nathan
Old 4/7/05, 11:50 AM
V6 Member

It is a matter of what you really want. I wanted the option of driving with the top down, so I got a convertible. I think with the spoiler and the top down the car looks great, plus the weather in Florida is great for convertible driving. It is also fun to drive that way.
Old 4/7/05, 11:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

I honestly just don't like the look of the vert as much as the coupe, especially when the top is up.

The other reason why I would not want a vert is because honestly I'd be scared driving one. I've been in a roll-over accident before and would be too scared of being crushed or having my head scalped by the pavement.
Old 4/7/05, 12:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by mustangspeeder@April 7, 2005, 11:54 AM
I honestly just don't like the look of the vert as much as the coupe, especially when the top is up.

The other reason why I would not want a vert is because honestly I'd be scared driving one. I've been in a roll-over accident before and would be too scared of being crushed or having my head scalped by the pavement.

I'm sure they have to meet certain standards, but holy heck. I don't ever plan on being in an accident, but then again doesn't everyone? Emergency driver training has taught me how to get out of a lot of situations and I have done so succesfully, but I understand the theory behind your apprehension.

I guess what it really comes down to, and I knew this from the onset is what I want and what I feel is right for me.

I have never owned a new car and I still drive my little car that could ('83 Celica). My best friends both own Mustangs, one vert, one hard top. They both say that theirs is best. I should just get two, one of each. I wish.

What are the thoughts on aftermarket sunroofs? Nevermind I just read that question and it has to be the dumbest one yet.

Nathan
Old 4/7/05, 12:41 PM

I bought a 2000 mustang vert years ago and realized I must always have a vert. I now have a 2005 mustang vert and wouldn't have it any other way. I love the feeling of freedom with the top down. It helps me with road rage.
Old 4/7/05, 12:46 PM
GT Member

Coupe is lighter with a slightly more rigid structure than the vert, so the coupe is a tick (0.2 sec.) quicker than the vert through the 1/4 mile, and has a slight edge in the twisties, too. Rollover advantage is obvious. The coupe's roofline look is from the '65 - '66 Shelby, only Mustang that ever had that quarter window. The "fastback" Mustangs of the same years had vents there. :drive:
That said, the vert is very sweet looking with the top down, and nothing can match the top down experience on a nice day. B)
So the best thing to do is get one of each.
Old 4/7/05, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by silververt@April 7, 2005, 12:44 PM
I bought a 2000 mustang vert years ago and realized I must always have a vert. I now have a 2005 mustang vert and wouldn't have it any other way. I love the feeling of freedom with the top down. It helps me with road rage.
Honestly that is one of the main reasons I'm buying a Mustang. Thearpy. When ever my friends go through rough times, they just get in their Mustangs and blast. I don't mean they drive like idiots, they just drive ... and let the worries flow out of them. I can't wait for the day when I'm frustrated with life and can just drive away from them, if only for a few minutes.

Well thanks for all the help. Ultimately I have to make the choice for me. Even if there is one sunny day of the year, the convertible might be worth it. We'll see how it goes. I have set myself a goal. I will order my car the first week in February of 2006. You'll hear more from me then for sure .

Thanks Everyone
Nathan
Old 4/7/05, 03:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reasons I don't like convertibles:
  • Theives like to cut into them to steal stuff.
  • Over time, the seals loosen/breakdown and the car can get noisy, even drippy when it rains.
  • Over time, the material loosens so when you drive with the top up, the car has a huge bubble on it.
  • '05 specific; it lost the fastback look when up.
Old 4/7/05, 07:16 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Conundrum@April 7, 2005, 12:49 PM
Coupe is lighter with a slightly more rigid structure than the vert, so the coupe is a tick (0.2 sec.) quicker than the vert through the 1/4 mile, and has a slight edge in the twisties, too. Rollover advantage is obvious. The coupe's roofline look is from the '65 - '66 Shelby, only Mustang that ever had that quarter window. The "fastback" Mustangs of the same years had vents there. :drive:
That said, the vert is very sweet looking with the top down, and nothing can match the top down experience on a nice day. B)
So the best thing to do is get one of each.
Only the '66 Shelby had the window.