Old 4/21/05, 09:33 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mumble grumble...i'm jealous
Old 4/21/05, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by darth-bob@April 21, 2005, 7:47 AM
I did the restaurant thing. Yup....It was me. I gave the car to my wife.
I drove the car and parked it behind a bank next to it earlier that day.
When we arrived at the restaurant I pretended that I left my wallet in the car, use your purse, excuse yourself and go move the new car next to yours. That way when you leave she thinks the owner is someone who showed up after you. She will see it and squeel that it is just like the one she wanted and ooohh and ahhhh. Ask her if she would love a car like that and when she says yes then you produce the keys and unlock it and start it for her. She has to drive it home. That will be a drive she will never forget.
Worked like a charm with me. She was shaking. In hindsight maybe I shouldnt have let her drive being all shakey and all but man oh man. What a permagrin.
Perm-a-grin, I will have to remember that at the time my wife gets her MG GT Vert in a few weeks.

EK
Old 4/21/05, 09:38 AM
GT Member

can you be my mommy?
Old 4/21/05, 10:19 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I say keep it simple and don't get her upset in any way. This isn't Overhaulin'.

Either:
1. Park it in the garage and when she gets home, ask her to go get some milk etc. Follow her outside and open the garage. Say "Wouldn't you rather take YOUR car" (I like something like this the best)

2. Go to a restaurant and have someone park her car in the lot. When you leave tell her you'll see her at home. She'll say "What??" And you say, we'll, aren't you going to drive your car home?

One other problem with the valet and keys idea is she might not be able to enjoy it in the middle of a crowded restaurant (imbarrasing to yell, hug etc.)

Those are my ideas.
Old 4/21/05, 10:21 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by sharkstang@April 19, 2005, 2:00 PM
Ah, Another spoiled kid..... No offense.
I think that could have been phrased better..... She's lucky. For all we know she really deserves it. What a great mom she must have to do such a thing.
Old 4/21/05, 10:30 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
park it in front at her high school put note on winsheld tell she won new car.
Old 4/21/05, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

What is up with all the suggestions trying to give the girl a heart attack about her current vehicle or the families current vehicle? Personally I like the BMW commercial were the guy opens a gift that has a model of the BMW SUV. The wife snaps a picture that happens to catch the real car in the driveway behind him as he opens the gift. Wife gives picture to husband and he gets that "oh crap the real thing is in my driveway!" look.
Old 4/21/05, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Park an AMC Pacer in the driveway,,,,say "Surprise!",,,,Then Tell her that FORD is backlogged 6 months with GT orders, so she'll have to settle for the Pacer for now. After her shock wears off,,,have a friend pull up in the vert.
Old 4/21/05, 12:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

drive it to her graduation ceremony, then suprise her!
Old 4/21/05, 12:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@April 21, 2005, 12:08 PM
drive it to her graduation ceremony, then suprise her!
Only problem with that is a lot of graduations have parties afterwards that require attending students to be bussed to the party and back the next morning. I don't think anyone can wait that long to drive their new stang .
Old 4/21/05, 01:40 PM
Cobra Member

That could have been said in a more mature way
:nono:
Old 4/21/05, 01:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by jcopin@April 21, 2005, 1:43 PM
theres no situation on earth that requires a 05 mustangGT covertible to correct.. I agree.. another spoiled kid that gonna wreck a nice car because she either doesn't car because she didnt work for it and is going to drive like a retard
you are right i don't know your situation
but i do know mine

last june i had a near fatal illness that hospitalized me for 14 days with a nice array of excruciating tests and was not allowed to leave my room for another 3 months with regular blood tests. .. now i know graduating high school is a rare thing but i was just happy to be alive and would take how my family stayed with me every day and that my girlfriend slept in the chair next to my bed every night in the hospital over a 2005 fordGT

id rather work for it so i can be proud of myself
Old 4/21/05, 02:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by jcopin@April 21, 2005, 1:43 PM
EDITED

Take a chill pill! :notnice: You don't know the situation here. I think it's very cool of her Mom to do that for her.
Old 4/21/05, 02:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Dan+April 21, 2005, 10:24 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan @ April 21, 2005, 10:24 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-sharkstang@April 19, 2005, 2:00 PM
Ah, Another spoiled kid..... No offense.
I think that could have been phrased better..... She's lucky. For all we know she really deserves it. What a great mom she must have to do such a thing.
[/b][/quote]

Well, I don't necessarily think there is anything an 18 year-old could do to "deserve" a $30k car. Let's be real here. Mom and dad are rich, and they can afford to buy girlie a great car. It has nothing to do with deservedness, etc. It has to do with money. There is nothing at all wrong with it. Mom and dad earned it, so they can spend it however they want. I think it is great that they can afford to do so, and I hope that one day I can afford to do so for my kids. Having said that, I don't think I would ever buy a $30k car for a teenager. Even the most responsible 18 year-old is irresponsible, and I truly believe far too immature to appreciate something of this magnatude. It's not a dig on anyone specific. It's just fact that teenagers have not (in all but rare circumstances) been around long enough or done enough with their lives to understand value, money, and sacrifice required to have the finer things in life, and thus they do not fully appreciate them. Given time, most probably do. They may believe they have, and parents might want to believe their children are different, but that kind of wisdom only comes through experience, such as earning things on your own.

But, alas, it's their money, so it is really none of my concern. I hope she likes it, takes care of it, and respects the sacrifice her parents made to be able to provide her with it. It is truly an awesome gift.
Old 4/21/05, 02:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jcopin+April 21, 2005, 3:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jcopin @ April 21, 2005, 3:53 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jcopin@April 21, 2005, 1:43 PM
theres no situation on earth that requires a 05 mustangGT covertible to correct.. I agree.. another spoiled kid that gonna wreck a nice car because she either doesn't car because she didnt work for it and is going to drive like a retard
you are right i don't know your situation
but i do know mine

last june i had a near fatal illness that hospitalized me for 14 days with a nice array of excruciating tests and was not allowed to leave my room for another 3 months with regular blood tests. .. now i know graduating high school is a rare thing but i was just happy to be alive and would take how my family stayed with me every day and that my girlfriend slept in the chair next to my bed every night in the hospital over a 2005 fordGT

id rather work for it so i can be proud of myself
[/b][/quote]

I am sorry but I must agree with jcopin. And please believe me when I do not mean this at all as an attack but simply a voicing of my opinion and concern.

I worked very hard in high school as well and road the bus everyday. I also did volunteer firefighting too and worked a part time job 30 hours a week sometimes on the nightshift just so I could save up to buy a car for myself. My parents raised me to work for what I own and be gracious for what I get and I totally disagree with buying you're daughter a vehicle as a graduation present. I am not saying you are a bad parent at all but I think you should rethink such a decision. Maybe take her on a trip together. Value as much time as you can not a vehicle. Making her earn it will also make her take care of the vehicle much better. Besides my wife, my car is my pride and joy because I worked myself to the bone just to afford it.
This is the time in you're daughters life when you need to show them how to appreciate life not give meaningless gifts as a sign of your love. If you have ever watched the life fad from a childs eyes (and I don't believe by your actions that you have) then you would truly understand what JCopin and I are trying to say. If you think this is right then so be it but to me this inappropriate and you may use "jealousy" as an excuse but it is simply concern.

I do wish you and your daughter the very best though and a very happy graduation.
Old 4/21/05, 02:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll admit it, I'm jealous. I worked my butt off for my first $2500 car (1976 Camaro LT). When I ruined the tires doing burnouts, I had to buy new ones. When the insurance bill came, it came in my name and was paid by my checking account funded my my job sacking groceries.

If I were loaded and could do the same for my kids would I? Most dfinately not. No good can come from handing kids such gifts. They learn to expect them and do not respect them. If my parents were rich and raised me by handing me things like that then maybe my answer ould be different.

I guess it is all relative. A $30K car to this family is probably like a $5 dollar trip to DQ for my family. My $.02.
Old 4/21/05, 02:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jwede@April 21, 2005, 4:45 PM
I'll admit it, I'm jealous. I worked my butt off for my first $2500 car (1976 Camaro LT). When I ruined the tires doing burnouts, I had to buy new ones. When the insurance bill came, it came in my name and was paid by my checking account funded my my job sacking groceries.

If I were loaded and could do the same for my kids would I? Most dfinately not. No good can come from handing kids such gifts. They learn to expect them and do not respect them. If my parents were rich and raised me by handing me things like that then maybe my answer ould be different.

I guess it is all relative. A $30K car to this family is probably like a $5 dollar trip to DQ for my family. My $.02.

Bingo! I think we need more parenting classes out there!
Old 4/21/05, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT+April 21, 2005, 2:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1999 Black 35th GT @ April 21, 2005, 2:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jwede@April 21, 2005, 4:45 PM

Bingo! I think we need more parenting classes out there!
[/b][/quote]
I always worry about motivation. If I hand my kids (I have 2) everything, what is going to motivate them? How am I going to teach my kids a work ethic if I give them everything? I'm glad my parents were hard-rears. I may not have the most money, but what I have, I earned. Only 25K left and my education is mine!
Old 4/21/05, 03:01 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You could set it up with your sales man to have the car put in the show room and say that you are thinking for a new car for yourselves and you would like to see the convertible and to bring you the keys ..at this point the sales man leaves to get the keys and you get here to sit in the drivers seat to see what she thinks .The sales man comes back with the keys with a large tag attached saying happy graduation ..etc .
If you have a good dealership that you are getting the car from I'm sure they wouldn't mind at all.
Then you could have the plates put on and have her drive it off the showroom floor.
Old 4/21/05, 03:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am always a firm beleiver that motivation is the key to success. My parents motivated me to get my liscence by requiring to maintain a 3.0 in high school and maintain a part time job. I paid for everything. Gas, insurance, maintenace, bills you name it. I didn't get my liscence until I was 18 because my father held me to it and made me practice driving with him through all sorts of weather and conditoions until he felt I was ready. And you know what, it has saved my life more times than I care to think about. My wife and I do not have kids yet but we are trying and the situation will be the same for them as it was for me. Not because I believe they should do what I did but because it's right and I hope to God it may save them from being a statistic.

Quick Reply: Vert Here! How Can I Surprise Daughter?