Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve stem problem

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/08, 04:27 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad the issue happened when it did. I stopped to eat after an hour trip. Its a good thing it didn't happen to me while I was going 70, I think.
Old 7/19/08, 02:08 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Why does everyone always bemoan a company making profit. Do you work for free? If the company thought it could sell that made in USA valve stem for the higher price and sell enough of them to make a profit, it would. But people don't pay more for that made in USA valve stem, so the company sells the cheapest valve stem it can and still make money for its shareholders and pay its employees. WHEN DID MAKING A PROFIT BECOME BAD IN THIS COUNTRY!!! Once again folks if everyone felt the same way you did and bought that USA valve stem then you would have what you want, but everyone goes in and either buys the cheapest they can find or shops around for the cheapest set of tires thewy can find and the stem is the last consideration. I am not complaining to those of you who don't like crappy valve stems. You should be able to get a quality piece that will last its expected lifetime for whatever you pay for it. But dammit people you don't work for free so why should corporate America. Stockholders invest capital into companies and therefore their money is at risk with no guarantee. Boards of Directors know if they don't find some way to make the stockholders money or pay a dividend they'll be ousted. Businesses are in the business of making money if that is greed to some of you then we have already failed.
See domestic manufacturers on the verge of extinction on why making a profit at all costs isn't a good thing, also witness things like Family Leave Medical Act (think thats right, FMLA in any event) and a host of other things (credit crisis, morgate crisis, the S&L crisis a score of years ago)

There is nothing wrong with making a profit, but in the US it seems that making a buck at any cost without regard to the consequences has become standard operating procedure.
Old 7/19/08, 07:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My old valve stems are sitting under the deck with the old (stock) tires and wheels. I don't think they pose much risk of hazard there...
Old 7/30/08, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This just happened to me...unfortunately, 11 pm last Saturday night while leaving work. Got the low pressure warning (glad I did). Checked the tire and found it had 15 lbs. But when I checked it, I heard the hiss.

Confirmed by America's Discount Tire - they told me all about the problem stems and to come in and have them all replaced. Sounds like good advice.
Old 7/31/08, 08:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
It's Ford, what did you expect? They'll probably tell you it is normal, and Ford apologists will say "just get used to it."
Old 7/31/08, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex
It's Ford, what did you expect? They'll probably tell you it is normal, and Ford apologists will say "just get used to it."

Come on now. This isn't a "Ford" thing. These same stems are used throughout the automotive industry form tire retailers to auto manufacturers.
Old 8/1/08, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Name an American company who hasn't sold out, outsourced or cheapened their sub-components so much so that the end result product is subpar?
MGW?
Old 8/3/08, 07:23 AM
V6 Member

Snap On?
Old 8/3/08, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Have you bought you snap on lately? I am 99% sure they are exporting to some extent. In factthey told me that pliers were coming from overseas now in Europe. And I recently had several new tools wear out and break in short order.

Now, they replaced them, but if you compare some new snap items on to the snap on I have from years ago, there is absolutely no comparison.

They are still better than sears but most of the snap on dealers seem to be dying off one by each since no one can afford the tools.
Old 8/3/08, 10:26 AM
V6 Member

You are probably right. But I am an auto technician for a living. I have thousands of dollars in snap-on as well as many, many other tools. I buy tools every week. I use them for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. I rarely have any problems with snap on. Just about everything I bought says "made in usa". If it isn't made in america, then it's called blue point. I have MAC tools, IR, Matco, KD, SK, gearwrench and even craftsmen (many others as well). I buy certain things from certain companies (whatever I like best). I can say snappy is the one I have the least amount of problems with. Now Matco on the other hand.... blahh, made in Taiwan junk (some of it)...lol. "Right tool for the right job" is a technicians motto...lol.

Anyways sorry to stray this thread further off topic. It really makes my stomach turn when I sit down and think about whats going on with this countries manufacturers these days. Or whats left of them. I was pissed about the anheuser busch deal. Who's next??
Old 12/20/08, 02:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Found a defective valve stem on my 07 Pony today. Finally got a chance to wash the car & while cleaning the left front wheel I thought I heard a hissing sound. Sure enough there's a leak around the base of the stem! My car is 18 months old & this is BS!! Guess I'll try to find a tire store that's open on Sunday.
Old 12/20/08, 03:13 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
There's a massive recall for valve stems because the Chinese forgot to apply a ozone inhibitor on many of the stems used during a period of time. I can't find any documents for you, but you might be able to get it replaced free of charge.
Old 12/20/08, 04:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
info on this issue.

BTW- my 07 's stems are not leaking.

http://jalopnik.com/5045535/chinese-...ced-since-2006

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...-Million-Cars/

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SS01/810220402
Old 12/22/08, 07:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My '05 GT has lost two stock tires due to valve stem damage but not because of the Chinese made stems...read on.

Have you ever noticed the longer length of the stems on those stock Pirell's makes it easier to bump them? I've tweaked them more than a few times while cleaning the wheels. They just stick out far enough to make it more likely they'll get hit.

The first tire was lost air after I ran over some freeway debris. I pulled over right away and was shocked to see the main part of the tire was fine but it was losing air from the stem base. The debris had hit the stem hard enough to cut it about 50% through.

The second tire also lost air while driving on the freeway but I had not driven over anything. The tire had started to "sing" so I pulled over. The tire was trashed and I couldn't initially see why. Then I looked closer at the stem and noticed it had again sustained damage at the base.

The shorter the stem, the less likely it is to get bumped. Anyone else share this opinion?