2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

V6 Markups !

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/05, 05:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I went to get an estime at my local Ford dealer yesterday (not the dealer I bought my Mustang from), because my neighbor backed up into my car and took off some paint from the bumper The Ford dealer I bought my Mustang from does not do paint and and collision, and this Ford dealer is the best in my area (Fred Beans Ford). So back to the story, after my estimate was completed for all $401.63 that it was worth, I decided to paruse around the lot as I saw 3 Mustangs sitting in the lot when I pulled in. One was a Satin Silver GT with a sticker of $29,700 now marked up to $34,700 - a 5k mark-up !!! And the 2 V6 convertibles that were I think 27k had a $2,500 mark-up on it. This just makes me mad because now even the V6s' in my area are unobtainable because of greedy dealers like this one.

My question is I know that the GT's have been having mark-ups on them, but how about the V6s'??? This is my first encounter with a V6 mark-up and it's totally ridiculous. !!! :notnice:

Matt
Old 6/15/05, 06:56 AM
Cobra Member

I went thru Delaware Mother's Day weekend and the two V6 verts down in Wilmington had a markup of $2000 each. Prolly 'cause they were verts. I've never seen markups on coupes...
Old 6/15/05, 07:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Matt, funny you mentioned Fred Beans Ford. I live in Chalfont, and while I'm driving through Doylestown on Sundays, I'll stop in Fred Beans Ford L/M, to see if they have any Mustangs, and how much mark-up they are trying to get. I stopped in a few weeks ago, and saw a V6 Premiun, that was pretty loaded. Had IUP and ICAP. Sticker was at $24,500 or somthing. They had it marked up to over $29,000 , WTH is going on. Now I work at a Ford Dealer myself, and I couldn't believe it. The car is not there anymore, so I guess someone overpaid way too much for a V6.

Another story with that dealer. We had a call for a dealer trade from Fred Beans in Wynnewood a month or so ago. They wanted our V6 LL coupe, with leather seats, but we had to have a Mustang back. So they gave us a vert. Good swap I say. When the car came in, it was a pretty maxed out V6 Premium Vert, only missing the ABS/Traction Control Package. Had a list just over $28,000. The car came in with a $3,000 "Adjusted Market Value" on the window, next to the MSRP. Needless to say, we took that right off, and threw it in the trash. We haven't marked any Mustangs up, but I guess most dealers will mark up any Mustangs, GT OR V6. Sad to make someone pay in the high $20K range for a V6 coupe , sad :notnice: .
Old 6/15/05, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Jeff there are a couple different fred Beans Fords' around. I called information one time since I was out, I should smack myself for paying the 2 dollars, but they connected me to the one in Doylestown. I ordered my Mustang in November with $500 down and not a single mark-up. The Fred Beans where I bought my car from is on Route 3 right near West Chester. Isn't it sad though to see some dealers try ti pinch every penny they can get, and it's also very frustrating. It's good to see that there are dealers out there that have a thing called CUSTOMER SERVICE first over how much money can we squeeze out of this customer!! Good to see others like you are out there.

Matt
Old 6/15/05, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

I understand what you guys are saying. i have heard horror stories about markup. None of our Mustangs are marked up over MSRP. I was talking to another dealer in Bucks County, PA and he wanted over MSRP for a used GT coupe and thought he could get me a GT vert they had for $3500 over if he went to the dealer. And this was for us to resell. i told him no thanks.
Old 6/15/05, 07:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

When I picked up my GT, all the V6s on the lot had $1500 "Market Adjustment" label on them.
Old 6/15/05, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bunch of crap, and Ford should make them stop. People here will stick up for Ford and say it's the dealers, but ultimately, this hurts Ford. Ford should not let these greedy dealers to this.

I have heard of the V6 verts being marked up, but it's been a while since the 6 coupe had a mark-up. If only people wouldn't pay the mark-up......................
Old 6/15/05, 08:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

If only moc ... . . . but these cars are too darn sexy and appealing to all of us. If my dealer had a mark-up, I'd still be driving my old car. Anyone in their right mind should NEVER PAY these kinds of mark-ups. I know it has been discussed a 1,429,074,092,384,023 times but still this one caught my attention.

Matt
Old 6/15/05, 10:11 AM
GT Member

Stillwater Ford in MN is marking up V6 verts 2K.

I always make a mental note whenever I see this sort of thing: there's a place where I will never buy a car.

It's the law of supply and demand. They can mark up cars if they want to. But that sort of thing has consequences other than increasing revenue on a single sale.
Old 6/15/05, 10:22 AM
GT Member

The dealer I got my 6 from had 5k markups on all the 6's. That was the first thing I addressed before I would talk to them about it. They didn't have a problem taking it off the price they were just trying to get it from the people that were dumb enough not to haggle on the price.
Old 6/15/05, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

you guys are missing something here, the Ford Brass is encouraging the dealers to do the market adjustments because prodcution can not keep up with the overall demand for the cars. It is hoped that pricing up the cars will slow down the sales pace and allow the factory to get back on track in regards to the proposed production schedule and allotment.

the only thing that is hurting Ford is poor prior planning for the sales success that the mustang has generated. They under-forecasted the total number of units required per period, thus do not have enough raw materials to manufacture all the cars according to the current market demand for the 05 and now 06 mustang.

Just like the fed raising the prime rate in hopes to slow down consumer lending, same thing, the dealers are raising the prices in hopes of slowing down the dramatic sales rate on the mustang.
Old 6/15/05, 10:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Dealers wouldn't have to markup the cars so much if they actually made some money off the rest of the Ford lineup. They pretty much give everything but the Mustang away. So this kind of balances it out. I think you'll see things level out when the Fusion hits. It will give dealers another car that they can make money on. That way the Mustang doesn't have to be the "cash cow". Oh and just so everyone knows dealers get a $3k kick back on Roush cars. One dealer which will remain nameless that ended up making about $8k on a Roush Mustang when it was all said and done.
Old 6/15/05, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is true Robert, but for overall profits sake, lets' say you can sell 5 Mustangs in 1 day @ $20,000 as opposed to 3 @ a mark-up adjustment of 5 grand @ $25,000 now, the +/- margin is now $25,000 when selling the cars at a non-mark-up value. Simple and basic for these terms of it.

Matt
Old 6/15/05, 10:41 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

That's a shame that people are paying more for a V6 coupe than I paid for my GT coupe.
Old 6/15/05, 10:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

I know when I got my car, the dealer was telling me how he was going to mark up the one V6 they had w/ IUP because they wern't expecting to see another for a long time. Thsi was in mid December. I think it was only $1,000 more, so I guess they could have been more greedy if they wanted to, concidering even today I don't see many on the roads here at all.
Old 6/15/05, 11:06 AM
GT Member

You people fail to realize, and believe that the dealers are raping these people. I can promise you that in the History of the Mustang, no one has EVER been forced to pay an ADM.
Old 6/15/05, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Well people keep buying them, look at the sale numbers. The markups do not seem to slow down the people wanting to buy this car.
Old 6/15/05, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

only stupid people would pay markup for a V6 since they are not in demand.
Old 6/15/05, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

A dealer's lowest profit center is new cars, followed by used cars and then the money maker, service.

If you think about it, marking up the cars is price gouging. IIRC, in Canada, they are not allowed to do this.

What would it be like if at Christmas Target, WalMart and others marked up the price of whatever the hot toy is that year? All of the items come with a suggested selling price. People would be outraged. But its OK to do it when selling cars?
Old 6/15/05, 11:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't understand. I got all my quotes for my '06 V6 order last week on-line. ALL my quotes were under MSRP.

Like any commodity - do the research and comparison shop.

If a dealer has stupid high prices - move on. If they catch the uneducated with their mark-ups - well that's capitalism!

Quick Reply: V6 Markups !