2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Manual Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/05, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many V6'ers here have issues with their manual trannies, Mine is very noisy in neutral (sounds like a bad bearing), a lot of winning in 1st and 2nd gear, and the famous clunking with shifting.

I went to the dealer twice with it and the first time they told me evrything is fine, of course. Second time I have requested to do a road test with the technician to show him the issues, as soon as started the car and let it run in neutral I saw the grin on his face and he told me "Don't have to go further I think you have a bad bearing" and he took it back inside.

Two hour after they give me back the car and they told me that everything is fine and there was nothing wrong with it, they apparntly contacted Ford and they also tried other cars they had in stock and they are all the same.

I was really pissed and an not happy so I officially filled a complaint with Ford Customer Relation and now awaiting their inputs.

I have seen many other reports for similar issues and would be interested in your inputs and any fixes you may have found.

BTW my car was built in June, so it's a recent build......
Old 7/27/05, 08:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has a kind of grinding and whining noises in third and fifth. Ford dealership mechanic could not determine the cause yesterday. This will be looked at more closely next Wednesday when my upper strut bearing assembly will be replaced. I am hoping that I will get a definite answer on what is wrong. I will post an update. Meanwhile, could you PM me the procedure for filing a complaint with Ford Customer Relation? While dealership mechanics seemed to be good and customer friendly, I would like to be prepared for various situations.
Did anyone with V6 manual transmission had a similar problem resolved? We need your stories!
Old 7/27/05, 09:39 AM
GT Member

Mine randomly will not shift into 1st or reverse. It has also kicked me out a second gear a few times. Ford's answer: "This is a brand new transmission that we have never used before. It drives more like a front wheel drive car. Just make sure you have your clutch in all the way." What is the number to call and complain?!?!
Old 7/27/05, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

"This is a brand new transmission that we have never used before" - not something you want to hear

"It drives more like a front wheel drive car" - I certainly hope that it doesn't, that would make it a "Probe". Did Ford rep told you this nonsense or was it a local dealer?
Old 7/27/05, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Rogue6@July 27, 2005, 8:42 AM
Mine randomly will not shift into 1st or reverse. It has also kicked me out a second gear a few times. Ford's answer: "This is a brand new transmission that we have never used before. It drives more like a front wheel drive car. Just make sure you have your clutch in all the way." What is the number to call and complain?!?!
D*mned French trannies! Hehe, Just a joke. Take it as you like
Old 7/27/05, 12:10 PM
Cobra R Member

I dont have any probs with mine, am i the lucky one?
Old 7/27/05, 02:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Rogue6@July 27, 2005, 11:42 AM
Mine randomly will not shift into 1st or reverse. It has also kicked me out a second gear a few times.
It kicks you out of gear?? That sounds like major a synchro wear problem. Have you ground the gears a lot when you first got it? If you didn't, then there are two possibilities here:

1. (the more likely) Someone at the dealership had one heck of a good time with your Mustang before you picked her up.

2. There is a major problem with the set up of your synchros.

There is no way it should be popping out of gear from the factory. That's a MAJOR safety issue and a liability for Ford if someone gets into an accident because they can't merge onto a highway. I'm laying odds that someone "broke" your car in before you bought her. What was the mileage it had on it before you bought her?
Old 7/27/05, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

mine has the intermitant neutral "bad bearing" sound as well. It does not do it all the time just sometimes.

I took mine in complaining about the same problem and they said the same thing. Everything sounds fine, everything works fine everything looks fine..

But amazingly it still does it. Sitting in neutral it sounds like a bad bearing, push in the clutch and the sounds amazingly goes away.

Other then that my trans works perfect, hard shifting, burn outs, hard acceleration no problems and no gear whine.

I notice the remote shifter will pop out of second and forth sometime if you rest too much pressure against the shfter while cruising.
Old 7/27/05, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by NosferatuVI@July 27, 2005, 3:49 PM
mine has the intermitant neutral "bad bearing" sound as well. It does not do it all the time just sometimes.

I took mine in complaining about the same problem and they said the same thing. Everything sounds fine, everything works fine everything looks fine..

But amazingly it still does it. Sitting in neutral it sounds like a bad bearing, push in the clutch and the sounds amazingly goes away.

Other then that my trans works perfect, hard shifting, burn outs, hard acceleration no problems and no gear whine.

I notice the remote shifter will pop out of second and forth sometime if you rest too much pressure against the shfter while cruising.
Exactly the same on my V6, the intermitant "bad bearing" noise goes away when I push the clutch. Also the noise is usually in the morning when itiis not so warm.

I have the winning noise in 2nd. and 3rd. As many of you, I was told twice by different dealers that everything was just fine.
Old 7/27/05, 05:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Mine makes all sorts of noises. I figured it was just the way it was. But just to be certain, now when I step on the clutch I REALLY step on that clutch just to be sure its in all the way. This should be done anyway but becasue of all the noise I have made a point about it and stomp on that thing. Maybe I didn't use to but I doubt it, I've been driving stick since my first car and haven't had them be this noisey before.
Old 7/27/05, 07:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Many throw out bearings on Mustangs make some sort of noise. Can you replace it and get a more quiet one? Yes. Can you replace it and end up with a more noisy one?? Yes. You'll know it when you have a really bad throw out bearing. A little noise while idling in neutral (in my experience with 7 Mustangs ALL stick) is a normal part of these cars.

Also, if you apply pressure to move the shifter out of gear while driving, the car will of course pop out of gear. I would not recommend this because over time, this will wear on the syncros which will in turn lead to a very costly standard transmission repair.

A bad syncro is quite easy to witness. A total tell-tale sign is if you're in say 2nd gear, and you take your foot off the gas. The disruption of torque from the engine will put some back pressure on the syncro. If the syncro is bad, the trans will pop out of gear and probably grind without any intervention from you. If you are able to take your foot off the gas and have the car just engine brake and stay in gear, the syncros are solid.
Old 7/27/05, 08:07 PM
GT Member

MUSTANG V6 TRANNY SUPPORT GROUP

Hi, my name is Robb and I too have that bad bearing sound in neutral.

Once in awhile the car has a hard time getting into reverse and 1st, but mainly when it's cold.

No whining niose that I've heard yet.

Other than that, no problem shifting.

I usually sit close to the steering wheel anyway (racing habit) so I have the clutch to the floor when shifting.
Old 7/27/05, 09:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fazm@July 27, 2005, 1:13 PM
I dont have any probs with mine, am i the lucky one?
i am with you no problems
Old 7/27/05, 11:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

My tranny shifts smooth, but there is a very slight low noise at neutral.
The clunking is there sometimes but the times I do hear it I usually figured it was me, not too sure about that one.
I am pretty sure mine is ok but I have the urge to have my dealership check it out just for the heck of it.
Old 7/28/05, 01:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Not only do i have no problems, but i shift that thing like a bat out of heck
Old 7/28/05, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

It might be a good idea to check for metal shavings in a tranny pan (could be a different sort of a pan - do correct me if needed). that would indicate a need for a new transmission. Sticky reverse is probably OK, since that's the gear that is used the least. Sticky 1st can be remedied by psuhing the clutch all the way and only then moving the stick. Don't move it until the clutch is fully pressed. I could get away with pressing the clutch and moving into 1st at the same time in VW Fox, Mazda 626 and Subaru Forester, but not this one.
Still have the whining noise in 3rd and 5th. Bearings? Will ask the mechanics next week. Did anyone had it fixed yet?
Old 8/3/05, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Dropped off my car this morning for struts TSB. Mechanics will also check out the whining noise in 3rd and 5th, though it was suggested right away that it's simply a noisy transmission. I asked to look at it anyway, since it's whining noise. I'll post an update of their findings. Meanwhile let us know if you have a similar problem in V6. If it is widespread we can push for a TSB.
Old 8/4/05, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Update:
Struts TSB was taken care off. The noises in 3rd and 5th apparently are "normal". We should push for a TSB. IM me if you have the same problem. If we get 100 people or so with this, then Ford won't ignore it.
Old 8/4/05, 01:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AvtoLubitel@August 4, 2005, 1:25 PM
Update:
Struts TSB was taken care off. The noises in 3rd and 5th apparently are "normal". We should push for a TSB. IM me if you have the same problem. If we get 100 people or so with this, then Ford won't ignore it.
Totally agree with you,, the only way Ford will do something is if we complain about it, already filled an official complaint to Ford for my noise.

Do the same and they wil have to look into it !