2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

V6 Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 6/10/21, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 Automatic Transmission

Hello forum. I’m new here.
2 days ago I bought 2008 Mustang V6 with original 77k miles from a private seller. When I test drove it transmission was working just fine, shifting smoothly into all gears. When I paid and drove off and the car warmed up I started having some issues. When I put in reverse it hesitates and then jerks really bad before shifting. Shifting into D isn’t bad at all, but still has some jerk. It only happens when the car is heated up. When it’s cold everything works fine. Upshifting and downshifting is fine at all times. The ATF was changed recently according to its color. What could be the problem? Low/high on fluid? Valve body? Solenoid pack? Or something more serious? Thank you for answers
Old 6/10/21, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Valve body:
That's very likely the problem, but there's also the solenoid pack, and the servo:

Solenoid pack:

Servo (which really means a reman transmission, same price, explained):

Of course, these are at best guesses based on the things I've read/heard about, but in every case nothing is definite and especially so across the interwebs. I'm waaaay over here. You're not. So take these guesses with the necessary grains of salt.

I'd probably just take it to a transmission shop and let them figure it out. OR... and this is me, because I'm weird like that... I'd acquire a spare 5R55S transmission from the boneyard, take it apart, freshen it up with all the new parts, and when it was ready, swap the transmissions. I'd then rebuild the second one, oil/fluid as needed if needed for storage, bag it, store it and await the next swap. Or sell it. Either.

But then, I have the TR3650, so I'm still thinkin' about one day acquirin' one for my GT and doin' exactly that m'self. Just keep the two cores until/unless I blow one's case apart. That might require a new 4.6L with some power adders to do that though, they're relatively stout.

Anyway, hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!
The following users liked this post:
Old 6/11/21, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex

Anyway, hope that helps, and welcome to the forum!
Thank you.
these are exact videos I watched before posting here.
I’ll bring the car to Ford tomorrow, and have them ATF checked. If everything is within specs I’ll order valve body with solenoid pack and go from there. Hope transmission rebuild won’t be needed.
The whole situation is very frustrating since my car has such a low mileage