2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Unfilled '05 Orders Carried Over to '06

Search this Thread

Old 4/6/05, 10:02 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Hellcat6@April 6, 2005, 9:52 AM
Any major manufacturing operation will have a built in ability to surge, to increase production to maximum capacity. Ford is telling us that they have already done that. It would take a major muscle movement for a dramatic change and Ford is not going to damage the bottom line to crank out low profit cars in exchange for high profit trucks. Any reason to expect that this situation will be vastly improved in 06? Maybe not.

The message says that "some retail orders may not be built as 2005MY vehicles". It does not say that the rest of the orders will automaticly convert to orders for the 06 with no loss of your place in line. In fact the "no price protection" comment leaves me to believe that existing orders not filled get dumped and the entire process starts over. Not good news for those waiting months already. Better be standing there to reorder the day they start taking orders for the 06. Ford is going to lose customers over this.
He he he, it's kinda like 1965 all over again! Only difference being that in 1965 Ford could have produced a million Mustangs if they had to. Mustang production was handled by at least 3 plants, San Jose, DAP, and Metuchen, NJ. Big difference between then and now, when Mustangs are only produced at 1 plant, and they have to share capacity with another car line! I'm thinking maybe they shut down the old DAP facility a little bit too soon. They should have kept it operational while ramping up the 2005 Mustang and shut it down once demand slowed down.
Old 4/6/05, 10:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Hellcat6@April 6, 2005, 7:52 AM
Any major manufacturing operation will have a built in ability to surge, to increase production to maximum capacity. Ford is telling us that they have already done that. It would take a major muscle movement for a dramatic change and Ford is not going to damage the bottom line to crank out low profit cars in exchange for high profit trucks. Any reason to expect that this situation will be vastly improved in 06? Maybe not.

The message says that "some retail orders may not be built as 2005MY vehicles". It does not say that the rest of the orders will automaticly convert to orders for the 06 with no loss of your place in line. In fact the "no price protection" comment leaves me to believe that existing orders not filled get dumped and the entire process starts over. Not good news for those waiting months already. Better be standing there to reorder the day they start taking orders for the 06. Ford is going to lose customers over this.
I don't think Ford is going to lose customers over this. It's a great car, and there were an awful lot of people that set on the fence with should I/shouldn't I place an order, and then it got them in the logjam. I think if people up and back away from something they want, then it's just a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. :notnice: If Ford loses any customers, there will always be another one to take their place.......since the bottom line is that this car is a Homerun. You can't pre-speculate the popularity of a new platform, and who wants to be sitting on an over production, and then having to give rebates and incentives to get rid of the inventory. After all, it is a Business......
Old 4/6/05, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Kevin,

I don't disagree with what you say but there are many folks that have other factors also driving their decisions. Sure, some got themselves into this mess by waiting too long. Others needed to raise money, pay off another loan first, get married, have babies etc. Not everyone can afford to wait 3 months or more. Not eveyone is in the position to plan that far ahead (luckily, I was). It's those people for various reasons that will become angry or will just have to pick up something else instead. But like you said, "If Ford loses any customers, there will always be another one to take their place". Sad but true.
Old 4/6/05, 10:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry, but if Ford dropped the ball on failing to plan for the demand, there should be price protection for all orders in que that get switched to 2006MY. There is, after all, price protection within the 2005MY year....so why shouldn't it apply across to the next model year if they can't build it now?

Even retailers give you the same price on the next gen unit if you order an "old" one that gets replaced.
Old 4/6/05, 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

Any confirmed word on the changes for '06?
How are you supposed to carry an order over if the colors, options and even price changes?

If they are saying no price protection, that better not mean they are planning are a steep price increase without the features to support it.
Old 4/6/05, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I am intrested in that info, too Rampant. I am more than happy to get an 06', but I really would like to know what options I have for that model year. I sure as heck want to know what Colorado Red and Vista Blue are going to look like.........
Old 4/6/05, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@April 6, 2005, 9:59 AM
You keep talking about a contingency plan. Care to elaborate? What could Ford do as a contigency plan other than pay for additional production capacity that, looking from the 2002-2004 planning timeframe, may or may not have been necessary.
Mark, I'm not in the car manufacturing business, so I can't elaborate on what a contingency plan would have/should have been for Ford. That's what they pay their employees for.

I don't know, maybe like someone else stated, have another production line that could have (or with some modifications) been tooled to produce the Mustang. At least develop the plan or look at some options for additional production capacity. Ford may be doing this now, but I think its too late.

This Mustang is supposed to be "helping" Ford get back to selling more cars, not just the Mustang, but others in their line as well. They sell plenty of F150s. A way to get people excited about Ford cars - how about making sure there are plenty to go around to generate a "buzz" and get people on the lots. I know there is a buzz about the Mustang, but I think if there were more of them around (have seen 5 here in Cincy) Ford might have accomplished their goal of getting people on the lots and looking at the other cars as well.

I'm not saying it is easy to ramp up production, I'm just saying that I think Ford should have been better prepared if demand was more than past years. Its like people said, how could you not expect it to be greater than the last couple years' GT demand, that is a nice car, but nothing like an 05 GT.

I just think Ford dropped the ball here on their estimates and ability to meet greater demand. All in all, I think they will lose customers here and the fact that there is no price protection is bull I think. Now people are going to wait 4 months, not get an 05 and then have to start over again with an 06, at a higher price. IF you guys think they won't lose sales, you're crazy.
Old 4/6/05, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Guys and gals one otyher thing to factor in that we havent really talked about it raw material availability. China is stinking it up an an alarming rate. They are taking all the plastic and metal we will seel them, as well as oil, and that is a major reason we are all getting raped on materials, oil, and gas. Raw material plants are at or near capacity on refining oil, making plastics resin and producing metals. I spoke with my rep today who dropped by from my aluminum supplier and we talked about this at length. They are a large distributor of metals and the aluminum capacity in the US is crap right now. There are no plans to bring on more capacity as the mills love the higher profits and even if someone like ALCOA decided to build a new plant we are talking 5 or more years once they start. Same thing is happening in plastics. Why would they want to add capacity when they can finally control prices and keep profits high??! I know its BS but there is a word for it..."Capatilism"....it stinks sometimes.
Old 4/6/05, 11:36 AM
V6 Member

The reson they will not price protect from 05 to 06 is that they do not want dealers to game the system. Steel, plastic, copper, and everything else has been goin up pretty fast. Their is no way that the price on these cars will stay flat when all of the costs go up. Ford knows this, the dealers know this. If Ford price protected the orders from 05 and filled them with 06 cars, every dealer would order as many cars as they could to beat the price increase.

The dealers know how many cars they can get. When they take orders for cars that they are not going to get, they are just trying to take customers out of the market. The dealer knows upfront that you may not get your car in a reasonable time. They are hoping to lay the blame off on Ford and to keep you on the hook till you settle for what they can get, when they can get it.

The allocation system is painful for consumers because there is no way to know in advance what the dealer is able to get. The good dealers (Five Star Ford in Scottsdale) will tell you upfront how many cars they have still unallocated. (two for 05 as of yesterday). And they have a loaded 5 speed torch red GT Convertible in stock that can be bought at about $3500 over MSRP.

If you have an order that is CU it is time to turn up the heat. You need to find out if the dealer has any allocation left.
Old 4/6/05, 11:38 AM

I agree that it is the fault of the market research people. How could they not know that with a vastly superior car more enthusiasts would want one? The 2004 did not have the HP or the handling to make ME want one, and I have loved Mustangs since I was 12. With the new one I put an order in as soon as I had the money. It is a case of marketing people not understanding CAR people.
Old 4/6/05, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Stadifer@April 6, 2005, 10:08 AM
I gotta defend Ford a little bit here. First off historically it has been the V6 sales that has carried the Mustang (roughly 70%+ EVERY year for a long time). Why would you suddenly shift production when your past numbers clearly indicate that the V6 is the bigger seller? The only reason why GT's are in such high demand is because this is the first year of an amazingly succesful re-design of America's pony car. So in turn the major Mustang fans said "I want that!" so the first year is expected to see a surge in GT sales. Next year or the year following it is likely that sales once again shift towards the V6.

Should Ford had expected this change? Perhaps, but the numbers clearly showed that the V6 is the top seller.

Stadifier said it perfectly - I don't really see how Ford could have anticipated the great GT demand. In '94 when the new body style was introduced, there was no great demand for the GT. In '99 when the new body style was introduced (along with a 40hp gain), there was no great demand for the GT. So why is the '05 different?

My own theory includes a couple of reasons:

(1) the '05 is a ground-breaking car. It's got the retro look, and the performance is REALLY a leap forward compared to the previous year. The '94 and '99 models were just evolutionary change in comparison.

(2) there is no more Camaro/Firebird as competition to take away sales. For me, there is really no alternative to the Mustang GT. The closest alternative (in the price range) is probably the Mustang V6. B)
Old 4/6/05, 12:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by moc1976+April 6, 2005, 11:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moc1976 @ April 6, 2005, 11:02 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TomServo92@April 6, 2005, 9:59 AM
You keep talking about a contingency plan. Care to elaborate? What could Ford do as a contigency plan other than pay for additional production capacity that, looking from the 2002-2004 planning timeframe, may or may not have been necessary.
Mark, I'm not in the car manufacturing business, so I can't elaborate on what a contingency plan would have/should have been for Ford. That's what they pay their employees for. [/b][/quote]

Exactly. And given the information they had 2-3 years ago (when the production planning was started), they had no way of knowing if the new retro-themed Mustang would be a hit or fall flat on it's face. It's really easy to point fingers at the marketing group knowing what we know now.

I don't know, maybe like someone else stated, have another production line that could have (or with some modifications) been tooled to produce the Mustang. At least develop the plan or look at some options for additional production capacity. Ford may be doing this now, but I think its too late.
Having a another production just sitting there waiting to see IF the Mustang would exceed sales forecast costs money that most likely is needed elsewhere.

This Mustang is supposed to be "helping" Ford get back to selling more cars, not just the Mustang, but others in their line as well. They sell plenty of F150s. A way to get people excited about Ford cars - how about making sure there are plenty to go around to generate a "buzz" and get people on the lots. I know there is a buzz about the Mustang, but I think if there were more of them around (have seen 5 here in Cincy) Ford might have accomplished their goal of getting people on the lots and looking at the other cars as well.

I'm not saying it is easy to ramp up production, I'm just saying that I think Ford should have been better prepared if demand was more than past years. Its like people said, how could you not expect it to be greater than the last couple years' GT demand, that is a nice car, but nothing like an 05 GT.

I just think Ford dropped the ball here on their estimates and ability to meet greater demand. All in all, I think they will lose customers here and the fact that there is no price protection is bull I think. Now people are going to wait 4 months, not get an 05 and then have to start over again with an 06, at a higher price. IF you guys think they won't lose sales, you're crazy.
Again I ask the question: what could Ford had done to be "better prepared" to handle the extra demand short of having costly excess production sitting idle waiting to see if it will be needed?

I do agree that Ford should offer price protection on any '05 orders that have to carried over to '06MY however.
Old 4/6/05, 12:13 PM

I heard that IRS will be an option on the '06.

Old 4/6/05, 12:16 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly I don't blame Ford as much as government regulations. I knew years ago that CAFE was gonna screw the consumer. I think the biggest problem is that Ford is not willing to move over CAFE exemption vehicles from trucks and SUVs to the Mustang. I don't personally blame them either. They DO sell WAY more trucks and SUVs than Mustangs at higher markup.

I personally believe that if Ford didn't have to worry about how many CAFE exemptions they had that they would be more willing to meet '05 demand.
Old 4/6/05, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Xader Vartec@April 6, 2005, 7:45 AM
My 2cents:

I would normally prefer an '06 this late in the year. HOWEVER, the "Sonic Blue" color is my favorite color of all time. Well, the '06s don't have Sonic Blue. Sooooooooo, I would like an '05 because I can get the Sonic Blue.

BTW, anyone have a pic of a swatch with the new blue color for 06?
That's exactly how I feel. I'd rather have the car sooner than later but I'd be willing to wait for an 06 if I had to. However, I want Sonic Blue so I can't wait.

I just heard about this memo from my salesguy. I orderd my GT on March 25th and I called today to check the status and he said that I probably won't get an 05. I'm gonna try another dealer and see what they say.
Old 4/6/05, 01:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not really surprized by this. But, if you guys aren't willing to wait, then maybe you should take Ford's advice?

If customers are interested in a GT and are not willing to wait, be sure to promote the V6. They will be surprised by the improved performance and appearance of the V6, and find that it has much of the excitement they're looking for in a GT—at a lower price. (Please note that V6 orders must be contained within your dealership's allocation.)

At least take a V6 out for a test drive and see how it is? Click on the link in my sig for a sample. Try it maybe you'll like it?
Old 4/6/05, 01:07 PM
FR500 Member

thank god my car is being built next week
Old 4/6/05, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Falchion@April 6, 2005, 1:06 PM
I'm not really surprized by this. But, if you guys aren't willing to wait, then maybe you should take Ford's advice?

At least take a V6 out for a test drive and see how it is? Click on the link in my sig for a sample. Try it maybe you'll like it?
I've done this, and the V6 is a great car, but it does not compare to the GT in performance. No thanks Ford! And if I was a betting man, I'd bet that most of the folks with GT orders that don't get serviced will not do this either. They'll either wait for an '06 or get something else.

Guess there's no way for Ford to fix the problem, so they just avoid it, like they did with the global open/close windows. :notnice:
Old 4/6/05, 01:20 PM
Bullitt Member

So with all these news, when exactly can I order an 06 and how/when will I know what colors and options to order?

Help please
Old 4/6/05, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Hellcat6@April 6, 2005, 9:52 AM

When I talked to my salesguy the other day, he told me this same thing. He said that they were not allowed to place orders for any more GT's this year. He said that anyone who tries to order a GT will be told they can't order an '05, but, they will be put onto a "'06 Priority" list. This is a dealer list, not Fords. It just means that when it is time for them to start placing orders for '06's, these people would be contacted first and if they still want to order, they would be entered into the system first. This will also be true for any '05 order that is kicked-back, or not built , as in the first sentence above. It is not to be an automatic conversion to an '06 order by Ford or the dealer. You would just be given the option of the dealer putting you on this list and giving you first shot when order time comes.

And no, he said there would be no price protection, nor X-plan protection going from '05 to '06. You would be starting over again and going by their word you would be entered as soon as the banks open

He said the price is definitly going to go up on '06's, he did not know how much though.
And, as another downer, he said they are not accepting X-plan anymore this year and most likely will not accept it next year as well. He said his boss told him they just weren't making enough money on this car and needed to be like all the other dealers out there :notnice:

He said that they still had enough allocation to get my order built this year, there are 5 orders ahead of me at this time. As a side note, I did verify that my price is protected, as long as it gets built this year. The price has only gone up once since I ordered, but you never know.

Quick Reply: Unfilled '05 Orders Carried Over to '06