2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Under the Hood

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/04, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm sorry if this has already been talked about. But. I want to know. How easy it would be to get some more ponys out of the GT engine. Bolt ons are simple and work (air filter, chip, etc). But where can we go from there. thats fairly easy. I don't want to start getting into the block and stuff. Cause it looks pretty tight under the hood as it is.
Old 6/23/04, 11:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Sometimes, from my experience w/ Jeeps, changing rear end to a taller gear helps give you the feel of added power/acceleration - the drawbacks are usually lower top speed loss in fuel economy.
Old 6/24/04, 12:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

well seeing as how Ford is now the Official auto-maker of SEMA id say that they prob made the new mustangs to have to ability to be modded out pretty easily. so my guess is that it prob wont take very much to get the torque and horses that yah would want.
Old 6/24/04, 04:44 AM
GT Member

the bigger question is: did ford leave something on the table? something tells me that based on what i have read on this forum regarding the output of the gt motor, ford is taking a page from gm and engineering the motors from their inception with the maximum power available. you can always force feed a motor to increase power but i suspect the chips and air filter stuff won't be making that much of a difference as in the past.

if you start changing cams and head design, you're asking for trouble with your emmissions...where i live there are yearly inspections for tail pipe emmissions and on a modern engine changing the internals can lead to disaster..bolt on power is one thing...changing the internals is a whole different ballgame. jackg 90seville 94k
Old 6/24/04, 09:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet it will still respond to bolt-ons. Ford wants this car to be modify friendly.
Old 6/24/04, 09:31 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by crazyhorse@June 24, 2004, 11:27 AM
I bet it will still respond to bolt-ons. Ford wants this car to be modify friendly.
Question is...how much. Pullies, probably. But since the exhaust is already 2.5" mandrel bent, you'll only see most of the gains when you change the muffler.

This might be great for those that may want a louder sound.....its only a muffler swap. Save you a lot of $$$ also.
Old 6/24/04, 02:27 PM
FR500 Member

Dan, where did you read about the size of the exhaust? And do you know what size mufflers for sure the Mustang is going to use? A 2" to a 2.5", or what? Probably the only mod I'm doing, other than getting a high performance air filter and changing the wheels and tires and possibly some suspension work, is swapping out the stock mufflers with some Flowmasters. Anyone know what size the mufflers/pipes are?
Old 6/24/04, 04:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Gattguy47@June 23, 2004, 10:42 PM
Well I'm sorry if this has already been talked about. But. I want to know. How easy it would be to get some more ponys out of the GT engine. Bolt ons are simple and work (air filter, chip, etc). But where can we go from there. thats fairly easy. I don't want to start getting into the block and stuff. Cause it looks pretty tight under the hood as it is.
I'm going to install some 3.90's or 4.10's gears in the rear end when I get mine. Most likely the 3.90's. These should work fine with the higher revving motor. When ProCharger comes out with a kit for the 05 I'll probably install it and drop back to a set of 3.73's gears. It 'll be one BADA55 PONY
Old 6/24/04, 04:33 PM
GT Member

Didn't they show a pic of the head. Bigger Valves, I bet this engine will repond to mods more easliy than the old 2v 4.6
Old 6/24/04, 04:54 PM
V6 Member

I'am sure as soon as the Aftermarket companys get thier hands on some 05 GT's and start some R&D, We will see some real good upgrades for the GT's. CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 6/24/04, 05:02 PM
GT Member

Well, I would guess the new heads will flow as good if not a little better than the 4 valve cobras. That being said, un-blown cobras respond well to basic bolt-ons, so should the 3 valvers.

And I'm sure it won't be long before someone figures out how to "adjust" the variable cam timing in concert with a little tweeking from a piggy back tuning device to suit their need for speed. That is something I am really excited about.
Old 6/24/04, 05:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by plowjockey@June 24, 2004, 6:57 PM
I'am sure as soon as the Aftermarket companys get thier hands on some 05 GT's and start some R&D, We will see some real good upgrades for the GT's. CAN'T WAIT!!!
K&N is working on something for me already and Borla I believe has completed something for the 05 GT.
Old 6/24/04, 05:23 PM
V6 Member

Thats Great Kahdir, Their probably right on top of this 05, Its going to be a great seller and one of best Ponys ever made.
Old 6/24/04, 06:06 PM
GT Member

anytime you change the induction system or modify the exhaust, especially with headers, the power moves around in the rpm range...it's not always an improvement for around town driving...in most cases, when you alter the engine, even something as simple as a k&n, you will lose power at certain rpm's...with obd2, it's possible that by simply changing the backpressure, you can set a code in the ecu. thousands of hours are spent fine tuning and developing the performance of an engine package...be very careful what you do without having some benchmark testing to go by. in fact, the only sure way to replace something like an exhaust or intake system and be assured of what kind of power increase/decrease you'll see, is with a power graph: what does the motor do at a certain rpm relative to the baseline numbers. just some food for thought before you plunk your moola down. jackg 90seville 94k
Old 6/24/04, 09:43 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by justgreat@June 24, 2004, 8:09 PM
anytime you change the induction system or modify the exhaust, especially with headers, the power moves around in the rpm range...it's not always an improvement for around town driving...in most cases, when you alter the engine, even something as simple as a k&n, you will lose power at certain rpm's...with obd2, it's possible that by simply changing the backpressure, you can set a code in the ecu. thousands of hours are spent fine tuning and developing the performance of an engine package...be very careful what you do without having some benchmark testing to go by. in fact, the only sure way to replace something like an exhaust or intake system and be assured of what kind of power increase/decrease you'll see, is with a power graph: what does the motor do at a certain rpm relative to the baseline numbers. just some food for thought before you plunk your moola down. jackg 90seville 94k
Maybe, but often you can "bump" the entire curve up often by quite a bit at some rpm's. Usually the worst case is a stock output at parts of the rev range (usually near the beginning).

Also, we read from an official source that we'd see 2.5" pipes. The mandrel info.....I can't remember where that came from but take a look at an underbody shot to convince yourself.
Old 6/24/04, 09:45 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Old 6/25/04, 06:09 AM
GT Member

in order to see an across the board increase in power...there are very few options: supercharging, displacement increase, or compression ratio increase. if you change the cams, induction, exhaust, pulleys...those things will move the power in the rpm range. imo, for around town driving it's hard to beat the factory set-up.

don't get me wrong, though: i think ford has done an excellent job of engineering the 4.6 for maximum power...the 3 valve head should provide excellent low end torque, which is the secret to good street performance. when the light turns green, torque is where it's at.

jackg 90seville 94k