2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Two-Tone Tungsten: Is yours?

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/05, 04:02 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by FalconDude@August 27, 2005, 2:19 PM
I was applying my Zaino polish to my new 06 Tungsten grey GT today and I noticed something very concerning: THE PAINT ON THE BUMPERS DOES NOT MATCH THE PAINT ON THE REST OF THE CAR. These picts show the difference. The bumpers are clearly grey/silver, whereas the main body paint is the stuff many of you are calling purple-ish grey metallic. I am not happy about this, and will be contacting Ford about this quality control issue. I didn’t realize I was getting the TWO-TONE TUNGSTEN GREY. Please respond to this thread if your Tungsten grey car is Two-Tone like mine. We need to find out how widespread this is and notify Ford. Either color would be nice, but I would prefer consistency. Also, please respond if you think I’m over-reacting or too picky. At nearly $30k, you’d expect a little more quality from Ford.

[attachmentid=31912]
My Sonic Blue shows some of the same, I think it’s the difference in materials; Ford should have used better primer to help hide this. Personally I think the my paint jobs suck in general :bang: – Ford should subcontract there painting out to someone that knows what there doing . But in all reality, the new GT is such a great car the paint job kinda doesn’t seem that bad after a while. Most of the paint concerns kind of fade a way.

I think we are just a picky group of people

Hope this helps
Old 8/27/05, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Man, I'm really starting to second guess my choice of Tungsten. I guess I need to find a dealer with one in stock and have a look myself. A change to black may be in my future.
Old 8/27/05, 04:20 PM
GT Member

I've always heard the arguement that the electrostatic in the bumpers causes the metalic particles to "lay down" and make the paint look flat. Not all of the painters that I've talked to agree.

The actual problem is that the two parts aren't painted at the same time and you get variation in each batch of color that is produced.

I haven't seen an example that is this extreme, but my Legend Lime Green has a little variation to it, too.
Old 8/27/05, 06:04 PM
GT Member

The colors looks the same. The bumper is in direct sunlight and the fender is not. The direct sunlight would make it seem lighter. As you look down the bumper, you can see some of the purple color re-appear. I think the direct sunlight makes it hard to see the purple in Tungsten. Bring it in if the color really bothers you but I have a feeling Ford isn't going to repaint it.
Old 8/27/05, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Get over it. It happens on darn near ALL of them. Go look at any other car, with metallic paint like these and plasitic bumpers. Its a fact of life. You can waste your time trying to get them to repaint it, but its not gonna do any good, if they even do it, which i HIGHLY doubt.
Old 8/27/05, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

Ive never noticed a different that looks that obvious, and if i was dropping 30 grand on a new car id be pretty pissed if the paint didnt match. so im with you guys, give ford heck!
Old 8/27/05, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

From what I can see in the pictures, either the color was not evenly applied on the bumper, or the slight change in angles where the bumper meets the fender reflects the light differently. When I cut and pasted a section from the lower part of the bumper, the color appears to be a better match.

In certain lighting or at different angles, my Sonic Blue bumpers don't always appear to perfectly match the body panels, either.

I hope you get a response from Ford you'll be satisfied with. Best of luck!
Old 8/27/05, 09:03 PM
GT Member

yea and let us know what they say !!!
Old 8/27/05, 09:04 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by ArkAngelx3@August 27, 2005, 7:44 PM
Get over it. It happens on darn near ALL of them. Go look at any other car, with metallic paint like these and plasitic bumpers. Its a fact of life. You can waste your time trying to get them to repaint it, but its not gonna do any good, if they even do it, which i HIGHLY doubt.
I don't agree that it "happens on darn near ALL of them." I have metallic paint on my Mazda and it looks the same on the plastic bumper and the metal panels. So, it can be done successfully. To me at least, this is not too much to ask for on a $28k car.
Old 8/27/05, 09:05 PM

I have a MG mustang and I noticed that plastic bumpers are slightly different in color then the rest of the car. Although it drives me crazy, it seems that I'm the only one that has noticed it.
Old 8/27/05, 09:18 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by barjon@August 27, 2005, 9:04 PM
From what I can see in the pictures, either the color was not evenly applied on the bumper, or the slight change in angles where the bumper meets the fender reflects the light differently. When I cut and pasted a section from the lower part of the bumper, the color appears to be a better match.

In certain lighting or at different angles, my Sonic Blue bumpers don't always appear to perfectly match the body panels, either.

I hope you get a response from Ford you'll be satisfied with. Best of luck!
Thanks for the response. Trust me on this one, the pict does reflect real life. The paint is (looks) different. The bumper paint has no blue/red speckles, whereas the side panel does. This is what gives the paint a purple-ish hue that most are noticing. I really would like to know how many other TG owners are concerned. I know we are all kind of caught up in the moment of having our new 06 Mustang, but I don't think letting this one issue go is doing an favors for our Mustang Members. Again, I could be over-reacting on this.
Old 8/27/05, 09:23 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by auto4@August 27, 2005, 9:08 PM
I have a MG mustang and I noticed that plastic bumpers are slightly different in color then the rest of the car. Although it drives me crazy, it seems that I'm the only one that has noticed it.
Did you talk to Ford or the dealer about this? If so what was their response? I'm guessing what they said ..."oh you'll get slight variation between bumpers and panels...its normal." Why SHOULD this be normal? Normal for Ford or Normal for Lexus?
Old 8/27/05, 09:25 PM
V6 Member

I know a while back the performance white guys were commenting on how different their paint looked as well. What's going on Ford?
Old 8/27/05, 09:30 PM
GT Member

im gonna go check mine ill report back shortly
Old 8/27/05, 09:32 PM
GT Member

from what it appears mine are the same shades of colors
Old 8/27/05, 09:58 PM
V6 Member

On the second pic you can really see the difference in the amount of metal flakes. The orange peel really shows too.
Old 8/27/05, 10:15 PM
V6 Member

On all plastic painted panels there is a modifier mixed in with the paint to allow it to bend, flex with the movement of the panel while not cracking. Since this modifier is not mixed in with the paint for the metal surfaces there will be slight variations in color. Your paint is not that bad. Remember, this is a mustang, it is cheap. You pay for what you get. That is why Mercedes AMG Designo vehicles match perfectly. 28k versus 138k dollars. The mustang is a cheap car, always has been and always will be.
Old 8/27/05, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Wink

I don't know much about paint but i understand that if the bumpers are painted at a different time or whatever that it could entirely be caused from the metal flakes. As thats what i see different in the pics. The bumber appears to have less flake than the upper half. As someone said when painting with metallics i'd assume its very hard to match the same amount of flake used each and every time. I would certainly talk to Ford about it though. Even if a Mustang is considered a "cheap" car, $28,000 is no pocket change. Its a big investment and you should be treated accordingly.
Old 8/28/05, 12:22 AM
Bullitt Member

darn, that would **** me off. My 'titanium silver' BMW didn't have that problem.

Take it to the dealer and make them sand/prime/paint it again.
Old 8/28/05, 01:13 AM
GT Member

I manage an autobody shop and we have this problem from time to time, more often on light colors, silver,beige,gold,light grays,etc..
The problem is this:the bumber cover is plastic and the fender is metal,so paint and the metallics lay down differently.Plastic bumper covers tend to have a slight static charge to them and the metallics tend to "stand up" when sprayed on as opposed to laying flat on metal surfaces.
We do paint bumpers off of the car, but they are both sprayed with the SAME paint at the SAME time as the bumper is on a stand in the booth in front of the car.
Our customers often complain of this condition but there is not much that can be done. I have even had our paint rep down to my shop to paint a bumper for a customer who just will not accecept it,and even he could not get the two surfaces to match perfectly.
So by complaining to Ford to have your bumper repainted Im afraid is probably not woth your trouble and the bodyshop may have your car for a day or two and you might still not be satisfied with the results.
So dont worry about it dude, just enjoy you premuim machine for the pure DRIVING joy you get from it.

Just one opinion from someone in the paint and body biz.

Quick Reply: Two-Tone Tungsten: Is yours?