2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Tuning on the 3V

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/04, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Don, at Modular Madness...

Right now I can tell you it does like tuning . But all the new vehicles will have to be flashed , they will no longer accept chips.

The tuner in the 3V truck we have been testing was good for about 30hp and a couple MPG . I will be on top of new thing for the Mustang.

Don

Anybody else getting info from tuners?
Old 9/22/04, 08:47 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Just modifying the computer will gain you 30hp?? Wow.

I assume this voids your warranty though?
Old 9/22/04, 11:11 PM

Another shop pulled 35 rwhp out of an 05 when I was there last month. They were very happy with that.
Old 9/22/04, 11:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Dan@September 22, 2004, 8:50 PM

that's what I wanna know . Will the warranty be void?
Old 9/22/04, 11:41 PM
V6 Member

I doubt it would void the warranty. The current chips/tuning modules say they don't. Even if they do, you can always switch it back to stock when you take it to the dealership.
On a side note, I wonder if the Variable Cam Timing is computer controlled and had anything to do with these impressive gains.
Old 9/23/04, 05:42 AM
GT Member

Just wait until some dope totals out his/her GT and pick up their ecc. Reflash that one and if you need warranty work, switch the ecc.
Old 9/23/04, 06:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm not too concerned about the warranty - I voided the warranty on my Lightning within a couple weeks of getting the truck. You gotta pay to play.

Don also told me ProCharger has a unit ready, but are waiting for the arrival of their 05 mule to release it.
Old 9/23/04, 06:14 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dan@September 22, 2004, 9:50 PM

Believe me Dan, when I pick the car up I am going to request a clear definition of what does/does not void a warranty.

It is in our best interest
Old 9/23/04, 08:54 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Galaxie+September 23, 2004, 8:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Galaxie @ September 23, 2004, 8:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dan@September 22, 2004, 9:50 PM

Believe me Dan, when I pick the car up I am going to request a clear definition of what does/does not void a warranty.

It is in our best interest [/b][/quote]
For sure.....In writing and signed. You and I should both try and compare.
Old 9/23/04, 08:55 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

What exactly is done to "reflash a chip?" Will you be increasing compression? Will the car still run fine?
Old 9/23/04, 08:59 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dan@September 23, 2004, 9:58 AM
What exactly is done to "reflash a chip?" Will you be increasing compression? Will the car still run fine?
Dan, you can't change the compression ratio unless you put in different pistons/mill the heads, etc.

With flashing the chip, I believe the timing is advanced/retarded so that that more power can be extracted (premium fuel req'd). Additionally, the fuel curve may be changed, as well as when/how the VCT kicks in.
Old 9/23/04, 09:47 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
If they are talking about reflashing the ECU, basically you program the desired changes on a computer, then upload the new tune to a flasher handheld unit (refer to http://www.superchipscustom.com for pics). Then you plug the flasher into the OBDII port and it uploads the new tune into the ECU, replacing the existing tune. This also does easily give you the option of returning the ECU to its stock tune easily, but i'd be willing to bet, ford can scan an ECU and see if its been overwritten at anypoint.

Generally speaking, any custom or aftermarket tune will infact void your powertrain warrenty. Reason being, you are modifying the car to perform outside of its stock *tested* limitations. Because tuning will effect the transmission (if automatic) and engine, therefore producing more power, varied shift points, etc.. warrenty claims can be determined that because of excess hp created, extra stress was presented to everything from the engine to the rear end and could possibly cause the failure.
Old 9/23/04, 09:54 AM
Cobra Member

35 additional hp is a very impressive gain just for tuning. I'd be happy to get that much additional power out of headers and a cold air intake. I'm guessing the tuning gets a lot of power by increasing the timing and taking advantage of premium fuel, since the Mustang's stock tune is based on regular fuel. I can't wait to see torque and hp graphs.
Old 9/23/04, 10:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Does when retuning an engine for extra HP, does gas mileage get worse?

If not, why wouldn't FORD program their computers for the extra HP themselves?
Old 9/23/04, 10:21 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by thegoalie@September 23, 2004, 10:05 AM
Does when retuning an engine for extra HP, does gas mileage get worse?

If not, why wouldn't FORD program their computers for the extra HP themselves?
To meet certain emissions laws and regulations 99% of the time.

I had my car tuned by Doug904 on this board and My gas mileage picked up some.

tuning a car by adjust the fuel curves and timing, will acctually make the engine more effecient, which makes more power.

I highly recommend the tune done by http://www.superchipscustom.com, Doug904 runs their software and I've seen and used it. Its good stuff!
Old 9/23/04, 11:30 AM

The engine designers/tuners basically have to balance against 3 main criteria: power, economy and emissions. Some tuning variables may benefit 2 or 3 criteria (better power and mileage) but may take a bite out of the third (emissions), necessitating a stock tuning that'll drop HP and MPG to keep the EPA happy.

Other criteria might include driveability, NVH and durability.

I suspect all the easy overall tuning solutions have been pretty much done by the factory whereas tuner chips have a greater latitude in saying screw virgin-forest emissions and 100K mile durability, we're going for big power come heck or high water.
Old 9/23/04, 12:04 PM
GT Member

If these are hand helded tuners that you work yourself, then I believe most of these have a program which returns the car to its stock setting. I am not positive, but I do know that on diesel trucks they have these programmers and you can return your truck to the stock setting. So hopefully you could return your stang to the stock setting and the dealer would never know, and wouldn't take away your warranty!
Old 9/23/04, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by wantan05@September 23, 2004, 12:07 PM
If these are hand helded tuners that you work yourself, then I believe most of these have a program which returns the car to its stock setting. I am not positive, but I do know that on diesel trucks they have these programmers and you can return your truck to the stock setting. So hopefully you could return your stang to the stock setting and the dealer would never know, and wouldn't take away your warranty!
Unless the computer keeps a record of when it has been flashed as pointed out above.
Old 9/23/04, 12:28 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by wantan05@September 23, 2004, 1:07 PM
So hopefully you could return your stang to the stock setting and the dealer would never know, and wouldn't take away your warranty!
It's my understanding that the dealer can plug in to your car and tell you how many times you've pegged the rev limiter and when it happened. I think they'll know if you reflash it.
Old 9/23/04, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

The Magnuson Moss act requires the dealer to prove that your modifications caused the problem. With that said, the dealer can't deny you warranty coverage if you reflash your ECU and your power window breaks. BUT, he can deny you coverage on any engine or transmission problems because of the ECU re-flash.

This dealer warranty denial has been going on since aftermarket wheels came out for cars. Find a dealer service dept that is "mod" friendly, thats your best bet. They may deny coverage on certain things depending on your mods, but they won't deny coverage on things that are obviously not related to your mods.

Quick Reply: Tuning on the 3V