2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Trouble with Tillman

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/07, 12:52 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trouble with Tillman

Well, of course, I haven’t gotten a call back from the folks at Tillman, so I’m soliciting suggestions for dealing with an unresponsive vendor.

Here is my story: In June, I took advantage of a special that Tillman had on BMRs STB designed to clear aftermarket plenum covers. I ordered over the phone, and the part showed up in a timely fashion. I wasn’t able to install it immediately, as I spent most of the summer in China. Upon my return in late July, I did attempt to install it, and it didn’t fit. Called Tillman, and they were very responsive—they didn’t have the brace in stock, so they had one shipped from BMR directly, but this also didn’t fit. I then sent the brace from BMR back to them and requested Tillman via phone, mail, and fax for instructions for returning the brace that they had originally sent to me. Long story short, I returned the brace (at my expense) on October 15, and I have not received a credit for the returned part.

What is frustrating is that Tillman has NEVER returned phone calls or responded to written requests (mailed and faxed) related to this return—even if just to tell me that I will have to eat the cost of the part! I have dealt with a number of vendors (see below) in purchasing parts for my Mustang, and this is, without question, the most unsatisfying of all of them. In fact, up to this point, my experience has been great, especially dealing with Kevin Casey, the folks at MGW, MAG, SilverHorse, and GrandDesign. So I'm puzzled (as well as POed) in this case.

Again, just my individual experience, and it’s not a huge amount of money, but FYI, as my quest for a return credit continues. Maybe I’ll need to make a detour on my next trip to PA (I had a 5-hour layover in Philly just a couple of weeks ago)! Any other suggestions would be most appreciated, as is the opportunity to vent!

2006 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, Tungsten Grey, Light Graphite, 5 –speed manual, spoiler delete, fanblades, all options except Shaker 1000 and ICAP.

Mods by vendor:

American Muscle: Cervini Concept hood, 14 inch antenna; CDC: GT 500 pedals, GT floor mats; Clevparts (KC): front end cover, chrome exhaust tips, cargo net, locking gas cap, 07 stitched console lid, pony package floor mats, TMS car cover; Grandesign: trunk lid; headrest wraps; Graphic Express: Powered by Ford plenum decal set; MAG: Mirror inserts, plenum cover, radiator extensions, strut tower covers; MGW: AC *****, power plug, ebrake handle, coat hangers, dipstick handle, oil cap, cup holder bezel, coin holder, seat lever buckles; MRT: hood struts; Ninosport: GTA mufflers; SHR: honeycomb panel, shifter bezel; Snakeoyl: trunk mat; Strange Development: strut brace; Stillin Racing: Airad CAI; UPR: fuse box cover; WebElectric: sequentials; Bob White Decals: door sill letters

Future Mods:

Clevparts: Brandmotion Ipod adaptor; MGW: shifter; SHR: front end inserts; SUBZERO: BMR A-Arm brace; also, an e-brake boot from Javier; and, finally a tune (but not from Tillman!)
Old 12/5/07, 01:01 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't ever get through to them on the out of state phone lines. I always have good luck with the local phone numbers though.
Old 12/5/07, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Tillman has been busy with SEMA andrelocating his business or something. It's not a very good excuse, but I think this may be a part of the problem.

I'm pretty sure he'll see this thread.
Old 12/5/07, 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts

did you lower the plenem cover? I have read on here that you can drop it down so a stb will fit better.
Old 12/5/07, 02:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've had the same problem as well. Ordered a part 4 and a half weeks ago, no update in order status, no response to emails recently, got through on a local line once but never got called back. Not really sure whats going on. Apparently theyre moving or something so I guess that may explain it to a degree.
Old 12/5/07, 06:01 PM
GT Member

Glenn:

No, the MAG cover doesn't appear to have same issues that the factory cover does/did in terms of giving away space between the cover and an STB. I have plenty of space under the Strange Development brace that I ultimately went with. Actually, the same held true for the BMR brace, although the two that I had fitment issues with were about 1/4 inch off on one stud/bolt, so other than taking a mallet to 'em there was no way!
Old 12/5/07, 06:07 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Maybe they went out of business and you all just got screwed...J/K! I hope things work out for you guys

this is interesting though
Old 12/5/07, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thats not like Tillman at all. Ive called them multiple times more or less just to talk about getting work done to my car and for some info on parts and what not and they always answer my calls and emails and have been very friendly and helpful. Its been a few months since then though, hopefully they are just busy moving and stuff and will be back on track soon.
Old 12/5/07, 06:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah he is not responding to anyone right now. Moving orr not they are not making people happy, or keeping my business anymore.
Old 12/5/07, 06:16 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
Yeah he is not responding to anyone right now. Moving orr not they are not making people happy, or keeping my business anymore.
I have never done business with Tillman - but he MAY not be able to respond to anyone. If they are in the process of moving they could be having a multitude of issues with the move itself (ie: phone system problems, Internet access problems, etc). Not making excuses for them - just know very well how moves go (used to be an IT Director and have done many large scale moves for companies I worked for) - and they do come with problems.
Old 12/5/07, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Uh, yeah there are sometimes problems but not problems such as NO phones, NO fax, or NO internet access for days/weeks. Understand you're sticking up for a fellow vendor but that would be a bit ridiculous.

I'd be ****ed too if a vendor wouldn't respond, for ANY reason. Whatever it is, hopefully there's a good reason but really when you think about it, what excuse is there for poor customer service.
Old 12/5/07, 09:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Uh, yeah there are sometimes problems but not problems such as NO phones, NO fax, or NO internet access for days/weeks. Understand you're sticking up for a fellow vendor but that would be a bit ridiculous.

I'd be ****ed too if a vendor wouldn't respond, for ANY reason. Whatever it is, hopefully there's a good reason but really when you think about it, what excuse is there for poor customer service.

I'm sorry but we're in December. No excuse, Tillman is still selling product, so IMO if you can sell you can also solve customer issues. If they had no phones, no internet, etc... How can they expect to make money?

I work retail and I can tell you theres no excuse for lousy customer service. And I'm sure I've seen CR post within the last week so I dont understand why there hasn't been any efforts made.

Best of luck to ya.
Old 12/6/07, 03:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, I can understand being out of touch due to a move. It happens. But he was signed on 1 1/2 hours ago, so he could've posted something up.
Old 12/6/07, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

A little update regarding my situation. I sent them yet another email yesterday, this time a bit more angry than my previous ones, and big surprise today, the website indicates my order has shipped! Ordered on 11/04/2007 and shipped today 12/06/2007.
The shipping tracking number does not give me any response from UPS yet, but I assume at this point is because it has not been scanned into their system yet.
Kind of insane but I'm glad I didn't get screwed. The correspondence I had with CR back around the time when I ordered the part was very positive and pleasant, but then he disappeared off the face of the earth in responding to me. The best of luck to the rest of you in similar situations.
Old 12/7/07, 01:07 AM
Bullitt Member

There is absolutely NO excuse for the lack of concern, communication and sense of urgency when it comes to meeting your customers needs......PERIOD!
This seems to happen time and time again with some of these vendors. It seems they have no business plan for growth and how to keep your bread and butter satisfied. How quickly they forget who got them where they are.
The best way to send a very clear message to these type of vendors is to completely STOP DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM.
What a shame, I am post number 15 and they or a representative cannot even come into this thread to respond to a worried customer.
catman if I were you I would take my business down the road.
Old 12/7/07, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I had a problem with Tillman as well. It took over 7 weeks to for a dual pillar pod to get to me even though the part was in stock when I ordered it.
Old 12/7/07, 07:57 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First Bama, now Tillman. What a shame. Businesses who are loyal to their customer create customers who are loyal to them. With prices being so competitive between companies like Bama/Tillman/Brenspeed, etc - service is what sets you apart.
Old 12/7/07, 09:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
What kinda cracks me up about this is..... does anyone remember last winter when this vendor joined here? It was constant, constant posting about pricing, service, etc. Someone could start a thread about an item and this vendor would jump in with "we have those instock for $xxx delivered! Call or PM me!!" and all that kind of stuff.
Old 12/7/07, 09:20 AM
Cobra R Member

I emailed Tillman's parts site last week - no response. I also spoke w/him back in September about a whipple. Now I'm thinking twice about my choice of vendor.
Old 12/7/07, 09:23 AM
Cobra R Member

well the difference probably lies in how busy the vendor has gotten. Bamachips was the same way. but after a while current orders out weigh the ability to sit online and chat. I have friends that have had work done on their cars by tilllman, and they are nothing but happy. I have been to their shop a couple times myself, they are a class act. So to say none else, this might be a fluke occurance. Also with the initial problems. Being away for most of a summer usually kind of puts you outside of return policies.

give some people a break there are only 1 or two people at tillman running their entire online store. there is still a retail business and service shop that tillman runs and maintains.

Quick Reply: Trouble with Tillman