2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Transmission...DS...headers...motor mount???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/16, 08:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Transmission...DS...headers...motor mount???!!!

I hate making new threads for multiple things so I'm gonna cram as much crud in this thread as I can remember concerning my 05 GT.

Backstory: About a month ago I let the wife drive the stang (125k miles daily driver), and the shift linkage popped out of the bushing. A couple taps and I had it back in. However, when under the car I noticed a decent amount of trans fluid all over the rear of the trans, coming from the output seal. Additionally, the u joint in the crappy 2 piece driveshaft was slinging grease.

Fast forward a week: Trans starts making soft whirring or grinding noises ONLY in gear. Never when clutch is depressed or in Neutral. Manage to limp it home thinking I just destroyed the trans by letting it run dry. Checked the fluid, fluid was about 3/4" below the fill port. That's spec according to Tremec (the 05 3650s apparently don't run well when filled to the top of servicing hole).

So I drained the Trans looking for the metal shavings of death and found NONE. Just black fluid.

Burned clutch?!

So I'm in the process of dropping the Trans to access the clutch and the stock header to CAT bolt snaps. 😂 I'm a 120lb woman. Smh.

Anyway, so far I've ordered a new aluminum 1 piece shaft, New seals for the transmission, New clutch and flywheel (gonna save the stock and get it resurfaced for later...I'm a car part hoarder.), now new bbk ceramic shorties.

Since I gotta pull the motor mounts while I'm doing the headers, can someone steer me to a decent set of mounts?

Also anyone have similar trans issues?

My wife hates that I spend more money on my car than her 😂😁 but then it keeps me out of her hair.

Thanks for any suggestions/commentary. I'm a mustang novice looking to eventually completely rebuild my very worn out dream car.
The following 2 users liked this post by wileycoyote05:
ofequipmentgolf (10/10/16), rpoppertdomi (10/25/16)
Old 8/26/16, 11:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Should be fine with factory motor mounts. Wouldn't think they would need changed unless they look bad

As for the fluid, the fluid just got burnt. Doesn't have anything to do with the clutch. Just gets burnt looking from being used and needs changed. New fluid and sound sound go away and shifting should feel better. Royal purple makes a really good fluid to put in your transmission
The following 2 users liked this post by LivinTheStangLife:
Old 8/27/16, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by LivinTheStangLife
Should be fine with factory motor mounts. Wouldn't think they would need changed unless they look bad

As for the fluid, the fluid just got burnt. Doesn't have anything to do with the clutch. Just gets burnt looking from being used and needs changed. New fluid and sound sound go away and shifting should feel better. Royal purple makes a really good fluid to put in your transmission
I ended up buying the steeda heavy duty mounts.I dropped the trans today and I wanted to replace the output seal so the leak would (presumably) stop. I have the clutch and flywheel already so I'm gonna replace it 😁 I've heard many good things about RP trans fluid for the 3650 so I'll throw that in there and see how it shifts after that.

After all this is said and done I'll have upgraded a whole host of things, next is a new 5.0! 😂
Old 9/3/16, 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by wileycoyote05
I ended up buying the steeda heavy duty mounts.I dropped the trans today and I wanted to replace the output seal so the leak would (presumably) stop. I have the clutch and flywheel already so I'm gonna replace it 😁 I've heard many good things about RP trans fluid for the 3650 so I'll throw that in there and see how it shifts after that.

After all this is said and done I'll have upgraded a whole host of things, next is a new 5.0! 😂

Hi Wiley? Which clutch did you end up going with? I'm at 119k miles and my clutch is about done. Need to start thinking about replacement. Was thinking of the Exedy Stage One kit at AM and the FRPP pilot bearing.

Your thoughts and recommendations?
The following 2 users liked this post by mrkabc:
Old 9/3/16, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Hi Wiley? Which clutch did you end up going with? I'm at 119k miles and my clutch is about done. Need to start thinking about replacement. Was thinking of the Exedy Stage One kit at AM and the FRPP pilot bearing.

Your thoughts and recommendations?
I ended up picking up a LUK clutch kit and flywheel at Rockauto for cheap and from what I've read about LUK they're great OE clutches as they manufacture most OE clutches for automakers. I'll post again after I get all these goodies in and let you know how it feels.