2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Traction control?

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/07, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-70 west
Thank you, Thank you "say this with an Elvis accent"
AWmustang has just clarified a confusion some people are having here with the terms of traction control and traction-lok.

This isn`t hard people !
Let's get this straight, AGAIN.

The original poster asked the question "do the newer mustangs come with TRACTION CONTROL". The answer they were given was YES, standard on v8, option on v6, which is the CORRECT answer. How hard is that?
Old 12/13/07, 08:25 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know! How about and all wheel drive option on the Mustang?

Go zooming around those big SUV's! And then laugh at the looks you get!

lol
Old 12/13/07, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLynda
Let's get this straight, AGAIN.

The original poster asked the question "do the newer mustangs come with TRACTION CONTROL". The answer they were given was YES, standard on v8, option on v6, which is the CORRECT answer. How hard is that?
Yes,
I was following the second part about something to help in rain or snow which I pointed out was a t-lok etc.
My mistake, thanks
Old 12/13/07, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Falchion

lol
Now that would suprise the hell out of some Evo's and STi's on the street.
Old 12/17/07, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Silverback
Mustang + snow = Scary!
Hey, with the right tires, it can't be any worse than a pick-up truck with an empty bed and driving in 2 wheel drive, right! Well, up to a limit when the snow gets deeper than the nose of the Mustang, that is.

If I were not "saving" my car from the salt, I would have no problem driving my Mustang in the snow. Heck, my wife drove our 5speed '94 Mustang GT in the snow with 15 inch steel wheels and Blizzak snow tires on all four corners and never had any problems.
Old 12/17/07, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Now that would suprise the hell out of some Evo's and STi's on the street.
Yeah but an AWD Mustang would make 1 point u-turns and donuts harder to do...
Old 12/17/07, 01:55 PM
Cobra Member

Is it '09 that will even get ESC (electronic stability controll) as well? That's more for losing traction under deceleration instead of acceleration... but it's coming in the future anyways... It's like the tire pressure monitors. It's now required by the NTSB, but Ford likes to standardize it a year or two before it's required.
Old 12/17/07, 02:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mot250
Yeah but an AWD Mustang would make 1 point u-turns and donuts harder to do...
maybe harder but not impossible. As Tim Taylor would say... just need more power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYsv...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGpdG...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gJAn...eature=related
Old 12/18/07, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by clintoris
Is it '09 that will even get ESC (electronic stability controll) as well? That's more for losing traction under deceleration instead of acceleration... but it's coming in the future anyways... It's like the tire pressure monitors. It's now required by the NTSB, but Ford likes to standardize it a year or two before it's required.
Speaking from experience, Stability control systems work just as well when accellerating.

And let's hope Ford puts a real off switch on it or you can say bye bye to donuts.
Old 12/18/07, 04:07 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverback
Mustang + snow = Scary!

Correction pre traction control Mustangs + snow = scary
Old 12/18/07, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess I'm one of the odd ones but my 07 V6 manual with TC has totally impressed me in the snow. Drove it through the blizzard we had here Sunday with no issues at all. Then again I learned how to drive in the snow with rear wheel drives...didn't have front wheel drives back then,lol!!!
Old 12/18/07, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

It snowed here saturday morning. No matter what direction you come from you have have to climb a fairly major hill to get to my house. I have been stuck at the bottom so many times that I know exactly where to safely leave my car and I always have warm clothes in the trunk for the trek home

I decided to go down one of the hills sat morning to see what the snow tires were like coming back up. Sure enough there was a semi pulled over, a stuck fed-x delivery truck, an abandoned chevy blazer, and a few front wheel drive whatevers trying to get up the hill. I'm thinking I need my head examined for driving down this hill. But omg I went straight up the hill no problem, no fishtailing, traction control never came on, even stopped and started again in the middle of the hill. Excellent!! And I got a real kick out of the fed-x driver standing outside his truck staring at me going up the hill - na na nana na, I'm moving and your not...

Why oh why did I wait all these years to get snow tires?
Old 12/18/07, 06:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buy a new or used Explorer...........
Old 12/18/07, 09:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just had both 4" of snow two weeks ago and then the ice storm with another 4" of snow on top last week. I am running the Continental ContiExtremeContact on my Pony and had no problems with traction even with my 275/40/18's on all corners. While I admit I have practiced a good number of years winter driving, I had no problems.

My only scary times are when other cars are around driving like nuts going Xmas shopping!
Old 12/19/07, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
It snowed here saturday morning. No matter what direction you come from you have have to climb a fairly major hill to get to my house. I have been stuck at the bottom so many times that I know exactly where to safely leave my car and I always have warm clothes in the trunk for the trek home

I decided to go down one of the hills sat morning to see what the snow tires were like coming back up. Sure enough there was a semi pulled over, a stuck fed-x delivery truck, an abandoned chevy blazer, and a few front wheel drive whatevers trying to get up the hill. I'm thinking I need my head examined for driving down this hill. But omg I went straight up the hill no problem, no fishtailing, traction control never came on, even stopped and started again in the middle of the hill. Excellent!! And I got a real kick out of the fed-x driver standing outside his truck staring at me going up the hill - na na nana na, I'm moving and your not...

Why oh why did I wait all these years to get snow tires?
It took a ride in a friends car to really show me the improvement snow tires give over all-seasons, even with awd. Now I make sure to get snow tires.

Tom
Old 12/19/07, 04:31 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Falchion

lol
No thank you, TCS & ESC are as about as close to that as I would care to get.
Old 12/20/07, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

TCS is decent but I wish it kicked in a little sooner. If you hit a patch of snow or Ice it will let the back end get a little squirrely before it kicks in. By then my Heart is pounding pretty hard. I would like to be able dial in the sensitivity or maybe a "wet" vs "snow" setting.
Old 12/20/07, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

When it's nasty icy slick out I start off in 2nd gear with the TCS off. After I get going at a good clip I'll switch the TCS back on.

Your drive train won't over apply torque to break the tires loose when you are in 2nd. TCS will fry your rear brakes if it is constantly kicking in from wheel spin when you launch.
Old 12/21/07, 09:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Careful with some of these AWD cars... Most of the AWD cars have a Haldex AWD and may not have limited slip differentials. Some of the Haldex AWDs favor the front wheels FIRST making it act like a FWD most of the time.

The Audi R8's AWD has a 80/20 Rear/Front split initially and then goes as high as 50/50 when the SHTF.