2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Traction control?

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/07, 01:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction control?

Do the newer mustangs come with traction control? Or anything to make it better in rain or snow?
Old 12/8/07, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

With the GT it's standard, with the v6 it's an option.

Best thing for snow is snow tires, at least with the GT (partly because of the difference in the OEM tires). Although others have said they have no problem if they drive with strategy.
Old 12/8/07, 02:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get something else to drive is easier, but I know not even has this option.
Old 12/8/07, 03:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i drive in the snow in my gt, stock tires.

i have to use the traction control in any type of condensation.

i can get around in up to about 3 inches of snow, but i have to be very careful. much skill is required
Old 12/8/07, 06:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Yeah, I had my tires break loose last week, with just a little bit of water on the road.

I didn't even really give it much gas, but I was making a left turn up a small incline. Even with the traction control on it broke loose and spun. At least I didn't get on the brakes, that would have been bad!

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
i drive in the snow in my gt, stock tires.

i have to use the traction control in any type of condensation.

i can get around in up to about 3 inches of snow, but i have to be very careful. much skill is required
Old 12/8/07, 06:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yea, i had a heck of a time in the snow.
breaks loose at any throttle. really gotta go slow.
im usually the one going around other people but not when its nasty out, everyone is passing me.

oh well i need to be humbled every now and then
Old 12/8/07, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MustangLynda

Best thing for snow is snow tires, at least with the GT (partly because of the difference in the OEM tires). Although others have said they have no problem if they drive with strategy.
+1 I have a V6 and had to order it--you can drive it in slick conditions but you've got to think ahead.
Old 12/8/07, 09:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Every GT I've had has been a PITA in any kind of inclement weather, but the one V6 I had, an 06 even with TC was near impossible to go anywhere in snow. They have a lot of torque off idle and one wheel drive-not to mention on the right side where its always nastier near the edges of the road. I think the GT's were actually better(although that's not saying much) With the bamachips 93R tune with the hyper-throttle, fuggedaboutit...
Old 12/11/07, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Proper snow tires on all 4 wheels, a limited slip rear and PRACTICE.

The snow tires will help with grip on all four corners and should not be any bigger than the stock tires on 17 inch rims.

The limited slip means you'll still be able to move if one of the rear tires is on a patch of ice (with an open rear you get the one-wheel-drive mode where the tire with the least grip sjust spins).

Traction control can be used but I prefer to turn it off and learn how the car handles by taking it beyond it's limits when it is safe to do so (isolated roads, parking lots, etc.) so I know what it will do and what I will do to correct the situation.

The hardest part is making sure you can drive without distractions. I may be old school but I believe traction control should only be used by teenagers, "soccer-moms" and those who don't want to "truly learn" how to drive.
Old 12/11/07, 03:45 PM
Cobra Member

I agree with mot250. a set of four snow tires is the way to go for any car driven in winter conditions. I used Michelin X-Ice's on all 4 corners last winter and had no problems in snow or ice. I just put my winter tires back on last week in preparation for bad weather.

On packed snow or ice I don't use 1st gear at all and brake gently and start braking way ahead of time. I basically accelerate, brake, and steer a lot more gently and smoothly than in dry conditions and I don't have any problems getting around.
Old 12/11/07, 04:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
2nd yr on the stock tires not the best and not the worst. As stated think ahead be carefull. I don't have the need for a better tire for winter. I am afraid to drive the 2k in the snow.
Old 12/11/07, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mot250
The hardest part is making sure you can drive without distractions. I may be old school but I believe traction control should only be used by teenagers, "soccer-moms" and those who don't want to "truly learn" how to drive.
I don't like how the traction control feels, I think because I'm not used to it and I don't know what to do next as far as controlling the car.

Reading this post has made me realize I did donuts in a snowy parking lot last week with the traction control on
Old 12/11/07, 09:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
And no matter what, stay defensive! lest all your good driving efforts come to waste as the soccer mom plows into you with her tank-dwarfing SUV...
Old 12/12/07, 02:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangLynda

Originally Posted by Rob O
+1 I have a V6 and had to order it--you can drive it in slick conditions but you've got to think ahead.
Lets get this straight once and for all
The V6 Mustangs from 2005 up do not have standard or as an option any kind of traction-lok, limited slip, positrac or any other name you could put to it. Your going to have to shell out several hundred dollars to buy and then install the unit of your choice. I did the Ford Performance Parts Traction-Lok and had a reputable shop install it for a total of $700.
Well worth it. Why Ford hasn`t picked up on this is beyond me as factory installation is much cheaper.
When I was shopping for my car I had several different salesmen tell me it was in the traction control option. Not double checking to make sure I was PO ed big time to find out later most salesman areers.
Old 12/12/07, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Mustang + snow = Scary!
Old 12/12/07, 06:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by I-70 west
Lets get this straight once and for all
The V6 Mustangs from 2005 up do not have standard or as an option any kind of traction-lok, limited slip, positrac or any other name you could put to it. Your going to have to shell out several hundred dollars to buy and then install the unit of your choice. I did the Ford Performance Parts Traction-Lok and had a reputable shop install it for a total of $700.
Well worth it. Why Ford hasn`t picked up on this is beyond me as factory installation is much cheaper.
When I was shopping for my car I had several different salesmen tell me it was in the traction control option. Not double checking to make sure I was PO ed big time to find out later most salesman areers.
Well h*ll I remember discussing this with the sales person when I bought my '05 v6. But I just went to the ford website and "built" a v6 and you're right, no traction control option.
Old 12/12/07, 08:13 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Silverback
Mustang + snow = Scary!
lol, I think the car is a hoot to drive in the snow. I get a kick of seeing how far I can push it before the traction control take over.
Old 12/12/07, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Let's get this right once and for all.

Traction Control (the electronic aid that uses engine management and the application of brakes to control wheel spin) is an option on the V6, it comes with ABS and Active Anti-theft in the V6 safety and security package.

A Limited Slip Differential a.k.a. LSD (brand names: Traction-Lok, PosiTraction) is not available from the factory on the V6.
Old 12/12/07, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AWmustang

Traction Control (the electronic aid that uses engine management and the application of brakes to control wheel spin) is an option on the V6, it comes with ABS and Active Anti-theft in the V6 safety and security package.

A Limited Slip Differential a.k.a. LSD (brand names: Traction-Lok, PosiTraction) is not available from the factory on the V6.
Darn now I can't call my sales person a stupid liar
Old 12/13/07, 02:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AWmustang

Thank you, Thank you "say this with an Elvis accent"

AWmustang has just clarified a confusion some people are having here with the terms of traction control and traction-lok.

This isn`t hard people !

Quick Reply: Traction control?