2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

At the track for the first time last night

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/05, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I went to the local race track last night to try my skills in the 1/4 mile.

I have never been before and was supposed to meet some people to give me pointers. But I got there late and was immediately pushed into line to race. At the same time they are telling me to go, they are telling me to fill out paper work.

First race, I did a burnout with TC on. Well, with that in mind, I didn't really get to do a burn out. Then I missed a gear.

After I got my dial in times, I was told to pick a time. I did - I thought I picked a time to beat. After the race, I was told, not to beat the time. So I lost because I beat it my .27

Overall, I felt good. Went from a 14.4 in the first race to a 13.58 in the third race(best).

For the life of me I could not figure out why my time got better but my speed got worse. Then finally someone told me to keep going after the line.

Any thoughts on if you should shift to 4th right near the finish line? I am right at the rev limiter when I cross.

Here is a spread sheet showing my times.

As far as performance mods, I only have a JLT with a 93 octane tune.
Old 7/29/05, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWESOME!! COngrats. I havnt had a chance ( or the place) to race mine yet!!
Old 7/29/05, 10:38 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kluski@July 29, 2005, 10:19 AM
I went to the local race track last night to try my skills in the 1/4 mile.

I have never been before and was supposed to meet some people to give me pointers. But I got there late and was immediately pushed into line to race. At the same time they are telling me to go, they are telling me to fill out paper work.

First race, I did a burnout with TC on. Well, with that in mind, I didn't really get to do a burn out. Then I missed a gear.

After I got my dial in times, I was told to pick a time. I did - I thought I picked a time to beat. After the race, I was told, not to beat the time. So I lost because I beat it my .27

Overall, I felt good. Went from a 14.4 in the first race to a 13.58 in the third race(best).

For the life of me I could not figure out why my time got better but my speed got worse. Then finally someone told me to keep going after the line.

Any thoughts on if you should shift to 4th right near the finish line? I am right at the rev limiter when I cross.

Here is a spread sheet showing my times.

As far as performance mods, I only have a JLT with a 93 octane tune.
Hey - way to go!
ANother first timer!

Yeah first time is intimidating I sure know that - in my case, the car show had the track for the day so it was almost empty at first - I got to walk out on the track under the tower before the first run and get coaching from my brother who has raced before.

I have the JLT and 93 tune - you have a stick?...
My best run was 13.6 so I am right there with ya - alhtough the temp that day was almost 100 so on a cooler day, I know I'll post better - especially after some practice.

What track did you run at?
Old 7/29/05, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey...great job!

I cant' wait to try "Limey" but with the 100 degree weather...and now torrential rain...who knows when I can get free.

Jay
Old 7/29/05, 11:12 PM
V6 Member

I'm headed out this Saturday for the first time and alittle nervous at the Lubbock TX track. I'm pretty hyped I hope it goes well, it should be fun.
Old 7/30/05, 06:36 AM
Cobra Member

Those are good times for your first time running. As for shifting into fourth, it depends on how much track you have left when your gettting to the rev limitter.... If your hitting it a bit before the line shift, if your hitting it at the line just hold before your hitting it. The MPH timer starts 66ft before the finish line and ends at the finish line. Make sure you run hard all the way through the finish line. Hope some of that helps. Have fun and keep playing with it.
Old 8/1/05, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Burke - It was intimidating. In fact, my lane had antifreeze in it. So they let the one guy go and made me run by myself. NO PRESSURE or anything.
I do have a manual. And I raced at a tracked called PRP (or Keystone to the old timers)

Mustang 69-05 - Thanks. I was at 6100 rpms at the finish line. So I let off as soon as my nose crossed the line.
Old 8/1/05, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

i went after Dave(Burke0011) went first against his brother..i was scared, nervous, intimated etc, especially since I have the V-6(didnt want to embarrass myself after all the GTs)..anyways if it wasnt for Dave, his brother Ed, and Eds wife Tina, i wouldnt have done it. I am very glad I did though, now I have to figure out when Dave and I can meet up again!!!!!
Old 8/1/05, 10:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

What was funnier was I have never used the staging lights before. I have had people do the staging with their hands. I saw a guy up front and was watching him. I went too far and he yelled at me to back up and pay attention to the lights.

I got pushed into line as soon as I entered th esite. So I ahd no time to talk to people I knew there.

There was a PT crusier there that was running 19.09 as a dial time.

A Sunfire won that night with a dial time of 16.5.
Old 8/1/05, 11:06 AM
Cobra Member

thats where i got lucky having to get advice from everyone etc.
heres a thread i posted in the v-6 forum:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=29573