Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR3650 fluid (yeah, another one)

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/17, 06:49 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TR3650 fluid (yeah, another one)

Hey guys, getting ready to swap my clutch after my finals. While I'm in there I want to go ahead and change the fluid. I've read just about every thread so at this point I've come to the conclusion that no matter what I get, it'll be wrong. SO, if you guys could just give me a link to the fluid you use (I know the names of what people choose but I don't know what it looks like) that would be great. I've heard the most about Mobil 1 ATF (don't know what it looks like) and Penzoil "GM" Syncromesh (also don't know what the container looks like).

Again, I know it's more of a hassle than just stating what you have, but I've never went out and bought trans fluid so I don't know what to look for as far as the label goes. Links Please, any vendor. Once I know what I'm looking for I'll be fine. Thanks
Old 4/27/17, 07:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I put in Royal Purple Synchromax because it was said to help the shifting issues.

It does. No question. NOT solving, but definitely so much better than with the OEM stuff. I will put it in again when the time comes, and am definitely a fan of it.

Others will say differently, but that's what I think, for what it's worth. Hope it helps!
Old 4/28/17, 04:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Personally I think you are going to have a hard time telling the difference between any of the synthetic ATFs.

I have heard good things about Royal Purple and also Redline so they might be worth a try.

Most of the threads I have seen say the Penzoil that you mentioned is the "best."

The transmission was supposedly tested/qualified with the Mobil 1 ATF so that is a safe bet.

Avoid fluids with sulfur additives because they are said to eat the synchros. I'm pretty sure the Amsoil with the blue label is to be avoided; red label is supposedly sulfur free and OK to use.
Old 4/28/17, 11:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I changed my fluid a couple of years ago to a Petro-Canada branded Mercon V. It seems to be working fine for me. Mercon V is Ford's replacement fluid for Mercon which is being phased out.

Amazon Amazon
Old 5/3/17, 05:15 PM
V6 Member

Which kind of Mobil 1 ATF? When I look it up there are multiple different kinds
Old 5/4/17, 02:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
hmmmm . . . I didn't know there were more than one kind . . . we want the one that matches the Ford specification, I think it is "Mercon V"
Old 5/4/17, 05:17 PM
V6 Member

Amazon Amazon

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I don't know. It's why I asked for links. When I type in "mobile 1 atf" in amazon a bunch of things come up.
Old 5/4/17, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I would say the second one down the list as it states on the bottle Mobil 1 ATF for Dexron/Mercon and Mercon V.

Not sure what year your car is but my 05 came with Mercon installed which wasn't synthetic. This was the spec in my owners manual. Since Ford discontinued Mercon, as I mentioned earlier, Mercon V is the ATF they want in it now. Just don't mix the 2 together. Drain the trans completely and fill with Mercon V. I've had my car out in -35F and in summer heat and it's worked just fine for me.

Last edited by Lime GT; 5/4/17 at 11:06 PM. Reason: more info
Old 5/7/17, 09:23 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/rpo-01512
thats what i put in several years ago on advice of someone in here, as a try before rebuilding... my 2nd syncho had been balky for a year, this stuff made it better than new, and it 'falls' into third...havent missed a gear or been locked out since, and its had a lot more of the redline shifting that originally hurt it...the oil made a big difference.

cant say if others work as well or better, but definitely there are better choices than OE oil
Old 5/9/17, 11:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Personally I think you are going to have a hard time telling the difference between any of the synthetic ATFs.
I agree with Bert, I used Valvoline Mercron ATF and the tranny shifts fine. The biggest thing is do not fill the 3650 to the fill hole. I spoke with a guy from TREMEC, and he advised 3 quarts 4 - 6 oz, or 3 liters. Same as the owners manual.