2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2008 Ford Mustang GT Owner - Looking for Performance Mod Advice

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/17, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New 2008 Ford Mustang GT Owner - Looking for Performance Mod Advice

So a life long dream of mine came true this year and I was able to purchase my very first Mustang GT.

It's all stock but has had some exhaust upgrades by the prior owner. I do not plan on driving this car daily but more so for nice weekend drives or getaways, etc.

I am wondering about what are some of the most common affordable performance upgrades that most mustang owners do?

My understanding is that tuning and cold air intake may be at the top of the list.

Outside of that what other things can be done?

I did notice that to me.. the car rides rough. It is an 08 with 115k . So not sure if some suspension work is needed or that is just normal.

Thanks open to any advice.
Attached Thumbnails New 2008 Ford Mustang GT Owner - Looking for Performance Mod Advice-gopr1228.jpg  
Old 5/1/17, 10:56 AM
GT-500 Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and fulfilling a dream, car looks great.
Old 5/1/17, 11:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum and nice car! Nice garage too!

First word of advice: modding is very addictive, and the tuner/intake combo is the "gateway mod." You are forewarned!

Next, try some searches . . . there are tons of threads on these topics and you can get a good "quick start" by browsing through them. For example there are lengthy threads comparing the specifics of different intakes and tuners.

If the car "rides rough" it might have been lowered, which typically also increases the spring rates; or the shocks/struts might be shot. If you are thinking about modifying the suspension they likely will be replaced anyway. Or it could be "normal" and you are just used to cars with a more compliant ride.

Before you start spending money, it's good to have a theme. Do you mostly want a car that looks cool; or is real performance the goal? If performance, are you thinking drag strip or road track? Having a theme helps narrow it down and provide some priority to the thousands of potential mods that are out there.

Last note for now: take advantage of your local Craig's List. People are constantly "upgrading" stuff on these cars, and selling their old stuff cheap. One man's take-off is another man's upgrade . . .

Last edited by Bert; 5/1/17 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wanted33 (5/9/17)
Old 5/1/17, 11:07 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Nice car. A catted H-pipe, long tube headers, Ford racing intake, and tune would be on my list for that car.
Old 5/2/17, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
have a goal and list your items. Build from the ground up. Tires/wheels and suspension are going to have the greatest impact on performance as they are what connect the car to the ground. Without good tires and suspension it won't matter what your car makes or sounds like, it won't perform.
Old 5/9/17, 11:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congratulation on your first Mustang. We have some very good vendors here that have reasonable prices, and great customer service, American Muscle, CJ Pony Parts, etc.

BTW, I've found the 197's are a bit rough riding. Compared to my wife's '13 GT my '07 rides like a two horse wagon. At 115K you may want to check the struts/shocks, and check you owners manual. There are several maintenance items recommended at that mileage if they haven't already been done, Trans fluid, radiator fluid, plugs, etc. Enjoy that Mustang.