2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Torn!

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/05, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the situation: I want a Mustang GT Convertible, and I want it at my companies X-Plan price.

But I went to all my local dealers and they all say "GT not on X-plan - but you can get the V6 on X-Plan. X-Plan on GT maybe next year"

So this got me teetering - should I wait until I can get the GT on X - or just buy the V6 now? Especially with gas prices heading upward, is it smart to get the V6, is there really that much difference between the mileage of the V6 and GT?

I mean, I want MG exterior and red leather interior with black top.

But I'm hearing that maybe MG will be gone next year? And the red leather?

BTW, I saw a beautiful yellow GT vert at the dealer - sticker of $40,565 !!!!!!!
A V6, MG, Red Int vert would be $25,070 on X right now (well, 8-10 weeks, they say!)

I'm so confused! Please help me take a direction.

Thanks...Chris
Old 4/5/05, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by thinkfuture@April 5, 2005, 1:18 PM
Here is the situation: I want a Mustang GT Convertible, and I want it at my companies X-Plan price.

But I went to all my local dealers and they all say "GT not on X-plan - but you can get the V6 on X-Plan. X-Plan on GT maybe next year"

So this got me teetering - should I wait until I can get the GT on X - or just buy the V6 now? Especially with gas prices heading upward, is it smart to get the V6, is there really that much difference between the mileage of the V6 and GT?

I mean, I want MG exterior and red leather interior with black top.

But I'm hearing that maybe MG will be gone next year? And the red leather?

BTW, I saw a beautiful yellow GT vert at the dealer - sticker of $40,565 !!!!!!!
A V6, MG, Red Int vert would be $25,070 on X right now (well, 8-10 weeks, they say!)

I'm so confused! Please help me take a direction.

Thanks...Chris
I see you're in San Jose. What dealer are you dealing with? Contact Jack Kitterman, the fleet manager, at The Ford Store in Morgan Hill. X-plan should be no problem.....
Old 4/5/05, 02:28 PM
GT Member

Well,

Most people seem to be sure whether they want the V6 or the GT. The gas mileage is close enough that it shouldn't make the difference in choice. If high performance is not a must then I would go with a V6. I bought the V6 and very happy with the ride. To me its more then adequate for everyday driving. I came from a 4 CYL so its actually peppy to me. Most here seem its worthwhile for the GT but it depends how important the speed is. As far as the look the cars relatively look the same other then some minor differences. The fact that you can get the 6 without waiting and you can get a better deal on one should make the desicion a bit easier.
Old 4/5/05, 03:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point, maybe you should test drive the V6 at least. There's a link to the Test Drive I took in a V6 manual at the end of my sig......

Mine should be coming this week, or next!

Originally posted by sharkstang@April 5, 2005, 2:31 PM
Well,

Most people seem to be sure whether they want the V6 or the GT. The gas mileage is close enough that it shouldn't make the difference in choice. If high performance is not a must then I would go with a V6. I bought the V6 and very happy with the ride. To me its more then adequate for everyday driving. I came from a 4 CYL so its actually peppy to me. Most here seem its worthwhile for the GT but it depends how important the speed is. As far as the look the cars relatively look the same other then some minor differences. The fact that you can get the 6 without waiting and you can get a better deal on one should make the desicion a bit easier.
Old 4/5/05, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I love my V6 vert and the red leather is awesome! I've seen V6 and GT verts, and i like them both. One thing to condsider about ordering a GT vert is the whole allocation issue...if you order, how long will it take for you to get it? If I were in your shoes, I would probably go for the V6 mineral grey vert at the dealer if it has all of the interior options that you want. The sticker price is lower than the GT, the mileage may be just a tad better AND the best part is YOU WOULDN"T HAVE TO WAIT 3 MONTHS (like I did) to get your car.....I know this is a tough decision for you, so good luck!
Old 4/5/05, 03:14 PM
Cobra Member

If you want the GT, wait. The instant satisfaction of the V6 may quickly fade to "darn, I wish I had of gotten the GT" next year.

But, drive the V6 and if you think it is good enough for you (think down the road as well), then get it. It will certainly be easier on the wallet, X-plan or not.
Old 4/5/05, 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

I came really close to getting a V-6. I held out for the GT as I have a "thing" for dual exhaust. I highly doubt you would be dissapointed with the 6.
Old 4/5/05, 03:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Rampant@April 5, 2005, 4:17 PM
If you want the GT, wait. The instant satisfaction of the V6 may quickly fade to "darn, I wish I had of gotten the GT" next year.

But, drive the V6 and if you think it is good enough for you (think down the road as well), then get it. It will certainly be easier on the wallet, X-plan or not.
yes I agree. If you really want the GT I do not feel you will be happy with the V-6, you will always feel like you were shorted or something "Man I shouldve had a V-8"
but thats not to say the V-6 is bad far from it. I love mine. Has the awesome styling it has a nice rumble sound not as loud but its nice. power is plenty for daily driving, especially if your drive in heavy traffic when will you use the 300horses the GT has. are you going to take it to the track??
I am thrilled with my "little" V-6!
Old 4/5/05, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinv-6@April 5, 2005, 3:24 PM

I am thrilled with my "little" V-6!
I do not consider the 4.0 little. We have that motor in our 04 Exploder. It does very well and I can't imagine what it would do in a lighter vehicle.
Old 4/5/05, 04:28 PM
Cobra R Member

The V-6 is as peppy/peppier than the old 289 V-8, and I thought about getting a V-6 for a long time........but I opted for the V-8 because you only live once, and I think I may have felt like I left something on the table if I hadn't......
Old 4/5/05, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

As others have said here, go with what you really want - otherwise you'll regret it later.

If you're really not sure, test drive the 6 and see how you feel.

There may be some differences in fuel, insurance, price, etc., but they shouldn't be dealbreakers one way or the other.

I can tell you that I made a similar choice, 6 on X-Plan now, or GT on X-Plan at some point in the future. My choice is in my sig, but you need to decide for yourself.

Use the force, Luke...
Old 4/5/05, 08:40 PM
GT Member

I test drove both and opted for the GT. Forget the money, you won't see a truck filled with cash following the hearse. Get what you want.
Old 4/5/05, 08:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Giddyup@April 5, 2005, 5:31 PM
The V-6 is as peppy/peppier than the old 289 V-8, and I thought about getting a V-6 for a long time........but I opted for the V-8 because you only live once, and I think I may have felt like I left something on the table if I hadn't......

Maybe a standard 289, but not a 289 K code
Old 4/5/05, 10:11 PM
FR500 Member

I assume, financially you can do what you want, so I say wait......................and go for the Shelby!
Old 4/5/05, 11:32 PM
GT Member

I can sum this up pretty easily for you:

1) The GT is awesome. The V6 is awesome.

2) If you want a GT, buy a GT. If you want a V6, buy a V6.

3) If you wanted a GT and are considering settling for a V6, you will regret it later.

Get the GT, or you will be mad at yourself in the long run.
Old 4/6/05, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Divon@April 5, 2005, 11:35 PM
I can sum this up pretty easily for you:

1) The GT is awesome. The V6 is awesome.

2) If you want a GT, buy a GT. If you want a V6, buy a V6.

3) If you wanted a GT and are considering settling for a V6, you will regret it later.

Get the GT, or you will be mad at yourself in the long run.

After reading Divon's advise, please disregard my previous post that said "just go get the V6 off the dealer's lot". Divon is correct: If you WANT the GT and are just SETTLING with the V6, you will enjoy the V6, BUT you will be kicking yourself in the &%$s everytime you see a GT Vert. Good Luck to you!
Old 4/6/05, 02:54 PM
Cobra Member

I wanted a GT really really bad. My wife said she would die before i bought a 30,000.00 toy. all of her friends gave her a hard time about it for weeks. I made screensavers of our little girl driving accross the screen in an 05 gt, tugged on her heart strings by teaching our little girl to ask mommy if daddy could get a hoarsie car...well two days before my birthday on the day after thanksgiving she goes shopping all day long, sticks me with the baby...dosent call dosent answer her cell phone...i was gettin kinda mad...and she pulls into the driveway with a brand new smoke grey 05 mustang.....V6...with an am fm radio cd player, and cloth seats.

I was elated that she would do something like this for me!

but it was a V6, and i wanted a GT with leather, and a shaker system.

what happened next stinked, but it had to be done....

I was test driving the car and my buddy called her on her cell...and asked her where the other two cylanders were.

I though she would hate me forever, she had spent 6 hours dealing with the sales dept. and got a smokin deal on the V6. we took it back the next day, and three days later the guy called me to tell me it would take 6 to 8 months to get the gt i wanted, but there was a yellow on on the lot that had everything i wanted, but it was yellow.

i snapped it up, and we are both Very Very Very happy with it (and she hated yellow before we bought this car)

dont settle for a V6 if you want a GT. EVER.
Old 4/6/05, 03:26 PM
FR500 Member

look for a dealer until u find one that accepts x-plan on a GT.....if ur gonna order ur better off waiting till next year
Old 4/6/05, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Faber@April 6, 2005, 2:57 PM
I wanted a GT really really bad. My wife said she would die before i bought a 30,000.00 toy. all of her friends gave her a hard time about it for weeks. I made screensavers of our little girl driving accross the screen in an 05 gt, tugged on her heart strings by teaching our little girl to ask mommy if daddy could get a hoarsie car...well two days before my birthday on the day after thanksgiving she goes shopping all day long, sticks me with the baby...dosent call dosent answer her cell phone...i was gettin kinda mad...and she pulls into the driveway with a brand new smoke grey 05 mustang.....V6...with an am fm radio cd player, and cloth seats.

I was test driving the car and my buddy called her on her cell...and asked her where the other two cylanders were.

I though she would hate me forever, she had spent 6 hours dealing with the sales dept. and got a smokin deal on the V6. we took it back the next day, and three days later the guy called me to tell me it would take 6 to 8 months to get the gt i wanted, but there was a yellow on on the lot that had everything i wanted, but it was yellow.

i snapped it up, and we are both Very Very Very happy with it (and she hated yellow before we bought this car)

Man, my wife rocks! She ordered me the GT with the shaker 1000. Not knocking your wife, I think I just nagged mine more so she knew EXACTLY what I wanted. She told me no way on the manual but when she handed my the build sheet in my b-day card it had the manual with "Merry Christmas" written next to it, and "Happy B-Day" (12-27) written next to the Shaker 1000.
Old 4/6/05, 07:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by jwede+April 6, 2005, 2:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jwede @ April 6, 2005, 2:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Faber@April 6, 2005, 2:57 PM

Man, my wife rocks! She ordered me the GT with the shaker 1000. Not knocking your wife, I think I just nagged mine more so she knew EXACTLY what I wanted. She told me no way on the manual but when she handed my the build sheet in my b-day card it had the manual with "Merry Christmas" written next to it, and "Happy B-Day" (12-27) written next to the Shaker 1000.
[/b][/quote]

oh dont get me wrong i was not baggin on my girl, it was more to drive the non settling point home. I was almost as happy knowing she would do that for me as i was to get a new GT!

she rocks!

no offense taken my man

sounds like you got a good one too! good for you!