2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

too much engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/05 | 11:29 PM

Hello, I will be purchasing a 2006 mustang this coming weekend and have a few questions for you guys. First of all, I have heard from my family members that I should go with the v6 due to the fact that the gt model has a too big of an engine for what the car weighs. I find this hard to believe since I have read over subject posts concerning how much of a pig the gt mustang is. Is this really true, that the engine is too big for the car?
Old 10/31/05 | 11:31 PM

Absolutely not. I wouldn't even start thinking that until the engine reached OVER 7.0L. A 4.6L is NOT a large V8...at least not by American standards.

Additionally, what the heck are they talking about, if you already have a 2004 GT w/ the 4.6...the cars have the same displacement and weigh similar amounts...

Perhaps they just don't want you to buy another car so soon.
Old 10/31/05 | 11:39 PM

Ya was just trying to get more people on my side. I've been hearing that the engine is too big for this car causing it to go out of control. Just wondering, what is the weight of the gt mustang?
Old 10/31/05 | 11:49 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by JmRifa05@October 31, 2005, 11:42 PM
Ya was just trying to get more people on my side. I've been hearing that the engine is too big for this car causing it to go out of control. Just wondering, what is the weight of the gt mustang?

Is this a joke????
Old 11/1/05 | 12:23 AM
FR500 Member

3,500 lbs

And by family members may I venture to guess your parents
Old 11/1/05 | 04:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Jared,
Going by the info you posted and little assumption I would guess that you are fairly young and are still at home. Mom and dad are second guessing your wanting a V-8.

The fact of the matter is that the engine is not too big for those who know how to handle it.
Does it have plently of power? You betcha.

I would consider other factors such as the increased insurance costs and the cost of the car itself.

Your family members are looking out for your best interest.
If your disciplined enough you can handle the GT without a problem.

Remember,
"With great power comes great responsibilty".

Good luck.
Old 11/1/05 | 04:40 AM
Bullitt Member

The pairing of the 4.6 three valve V8 and the 05-06 mustang are excellent. The care has great rear wheel horsepower and torque. The only time the engine maybe too much is when the car is driven by someone that is inexperienced or irresponsible.
Old 11/1/05 | 05:06 AM
Bullitt Member

too big of an engine......yeah it is too big....... for a male, under 25 years of age who has to pay insurance on it!

Otherwise, it's not big enough!
Old 11/1/05 | 06:21 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

They probably still have visions of 5.0L Fox bodies wrecking all the time back in the eighties. With all that torque it didn't take much to turn one of those around... quick.
There was too much torque for those cars, but the 05+ is NOTHING like that.
If they are basing their fears on those Mustangs, tell them this one has a smaller motor, it's a much heavier car, and it comes standard with traction control. The only way you're going to turn it around or get it sideways is if you want it to. No surprises like the old 5.0's.
Old 11/1/05 | 06:28 AM
I Have No Life

I do think that in the wrong hands a v8 is definately too big of an engine. We see proof of that almost everday. Mustangs being wrapped around trees, telephone poles, etc.

Anyway, what I don't understand is you say you have a 2004 GT. So why are your parents that worried about you getting an 05 GT?
Old 11/1/05 | 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

I smell a troll.

"Too much engine for what the car weighs"? It's one of the heavier sports cars on the road.

Whoever you've been talking to about the mustang, they don't know jack about cars. I know there are no dumb questions...but....that is a dumb question.
Old 11/1/05 | 07:22 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

It's funny how quick a smell gets around.

Old 11/1/05 | 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

Or, by "engine weighs too much," are they saying that it will barrel out of a turn because there's too much weight in the front? No... that's what your suspension is for... and that's what your driving skills are for. Any front engine car is going to have a tendancy to dive out. So you have to balance the brakes with the throttle. This would be under extreme driving conditions.. The wieght ratio on this car isn't far off... 53/47 font/rear... so it's pretty well balanced. So, for every day driving, you'll never have a problem. It's not like the land yachts your parents used to drive... front end supsension has come a long way since then.
Old 11/1/05 | 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I think this is a case of a younger kid who wants a GT and his parents are giving him the proverbial "Laugh Out Loud" I know because I went through the same thing. Honestly, I would do the same thing. When your young you just dont honestly need all of that engine. I would have given my left arm to have just a v6 mustang when I was a kid, a GT would have been way to much. And besides insurance for someone under 25 SUCKS on a GT. Gas is more. Power is more. Speed is higher and ability to kill yourself increases as well. These are all reasons why your parents probably want you to stay small at first. If you are a younger kid and you have the option to get a v6 do it, they have PLENTY power for a younger person, better MPG, better insurance and lower payment. Save the GT for when you get older.

And if by some chance this is an older gentleman, tell you family they dont know what they are talking about and get the GT.
Old 11/1/05 | 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

The guy already has a 2004 GT. You're acting like he's starting from scratch. Sure the new GT's are more powerful, but it's a bunch of balogna that they are inherently more dangerous than the 2004's. What do they think, it has a 7.0L big block and the thing weigs 2200 lbs?
Old 11/1/05 | 09:11 AM
GT Member

your a grown man, get what you want!!
Old 11/1/05 | 10:01 AM
Cobra Member

The GT's resale value will be higher and you will enjoy the driving the car more, especially since you already have an older GT.
Old 11/1/05 | 10:26 AM
Cobra R Member

I would be dead if I had had this car when I was 16. Period.
Old 11/1/05 | 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I had a 2000 Mustang GT for over 5 years, and have had this 2006 GT for a little over two months. Other than that, I've driven probably upwards of a dozen other Mustangs that were test drives, family or friends cars or rentals.

From my experience so far with 2005-2006 GT's, they are far superior to the Mustangs of the past in the stability and control departments, and not to mention, ride quality. Even in the rain, it takes a dumb move to upset it's forward motion. The only way I would say the GT is too much is if you will have to drive it in the snow a lot, other than that, no.

If you are a responsible driver with some experience and can afford the payment & insurance, there is no reason not to get the GT, but that's just me. Although, the new V6 does have relatively impressive power. So if you have to sacrifice and get a V6, you would probably be very happy with it as well.

In all truth, if you are just heading out to the dealership to look at their inventory, and not ordering a car, you may be almost limited to a V6 as most GT's sale nearly as soon as they arrive or are sold before they arrive, depending on how they are doing in your region.
Old 11/1/05 | 12:40 PM

While perhaps not exactly svelte, the Mustang GT is a fairly reasonable 3400-3500 lbs. I might liked to have seen it come in closer to 3200, so be it. The 4.6 V8 is now totally aluminum and set a bit further back in relation to the front axle line. This confers a great benefit of much better weight distribution than the nose heavy S197, if not quite the 50:50 "ideal."

In short, while the Stang's handling and chassis dynamics certainly won't be mistaken for, say, an RX-8's in overall capability, finesse and feedback, it's definitely not a nose heavy pig like previous GT Stangs tended to be.

The V6 will shave a few more pounds, but not quite so much as to make a substantial difference. It might be interesting in the future that once the aging 4.0 V6 is put out to pasture, what a more powerful, all aluminum Duratec 3.5 might do in terms overall vehicle dynamics. Might make tenable a V6 performance option that is more broadly focused and finely balanced than the more straight line oriented GT.

Might prove appealing what with higher gas prices, heavy V8 insurance rates and perhaps make inroads into the "Tuner" crowd that have tended to shun the Stang as a powerful but oafish blunderbuss.

Quick Reply: too much engine?