2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Tire Press Monitor and New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/07, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard is it to disable the TPMS idiot light ???
Old 8/20/07, 12:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the tool that they use very expensive?

Maybe we can just get a group buy going for one of them, unless it's a high dollar computer or something.......

Originally Posted by sycd
Yes, unless you have a special tool, but they can be pricey. This TPMS BS is expensive You have to pay more for bands and transferring the sensors, or you have to pay for new sensors and retrain the car... and my nearest Ford dealer wants $150 to retrain my TPMS for new sensors! I still need to call tire shops around to see if they have the tool and can do it for cheaper.
Old 8/20/07, 03:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
About 500 bucks.
Old 8/20/07, 06:50 PM

Ouch!

What is it? Some kind of computer or something?

Originally Posted by Stoenr
About 500 bucks.
Old 8/20/07, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

I can't believe an auto-relearn was never incorperated into them and that the predator or sct tuners have no access to that light/sensor.
Old 8/20/07, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Falchion
Ouch!

What is it? Some kind of computer or something?
Yeah, overpriced crap imo, lol.
This is the one we have
http://www.bartecusa.com/downloads/t...rochure_r3.pdf
Old 8/21/07, 03:33 AM

Eh you guys....I know that I'm just a girl but I can give you some advice...if your tire is bigger than 17s you need new bands...American Muscle has them for 16.99 each....whereas Ford in Hawaii charges 75.00 each...07 and up...mandatory...your sensors are reusable...or you can get them at Napa for under 10 bucks...make sure that when you mount and balance your tires, they cut your bands after they're installed, short enough or when you're driving at a slow speed you'll hear a clanging metal to metal sound...this is spoken from experience....when we bought our wheels and tires from American Muscle in May they did not have the bands...but later on in June they had some. No one would touch my car in Hawaii unless I had new bands and some that had them were charging 400 to mount balance and change bands....from what they told me they have to cut the old band off and they need new bands so they can place the sensor in the right place...American Muscle is the way to go.....
Old 8/21/07, 05:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I want to disable the TPMS!!!
Old 8/21/07, 08:11 AM

Well, hopefully Discount Tire will have one of those so that when I go in to have my new wheels/tires put on they can reset the computer?

I know they have the bands for about $10 each. I don't want to have to go back to the Dealer to have them reset the TPMS computer and charge me $150 for it!

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Yeah, overpriced crap imo, lol.
This is the one we have
http://www.bartecusa.com/downloads/t...rochure_r3.pdf
Old 8/22/07, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Silverback
I want to disable the TPMS!!!
here... if the light is on...it won't pass our yearly safety inspection and if we don't pass ...we can't register our car...it was just a friendly suggestion...we wanted ours disabled too because we didn't want to spend the$$ but no one would do it... fear of liability I guess...and when we found the bands, it was so cheap we did it that way, they also reused the sensors... oh yeah and also for our safety(me and my daughter)with peace of mind for my husband in Iraq....I guess it's not the same where you live. Good Luck!!!

Patricia
Old 8/23/07, 10:25 AM

Texas also has a safety inspection. That's a point I didn't even think of!

I guess I won't be just reseting the TPMS warning every time either.....

Thanks for the heads up!

Hey, I just found this in the Mustang Source Book. Maybe I won't have to go to the Dealer to reset my TPMS after all?

Resetting the system is easy. Once
tire pressure has been restored to its
recommended level, TPMS-equipped
vehicles simply need to be driven
over 20 mph for at least 2 minutes
to be reset

I just called Discount Tire and they said that they reuse the sensors from the stock tires when they swap out for the new wheels/tires, so I should be good to go!

Originally Posted by grabbero
here... if the light is on...it won't pass our yearly safety inspection and if we don't pass ...we can't register our car...it was just a friendly suggestion...we wanted ours disabled too because we didn't want to spend the$$ but no one would do it... fear of liability I guess...and when we found the bands, it was so cheap we did it that way, they also reused the sensors... oh yeah and also for our safety(me and my daughter)with peace of mind for my husband in Iraq....I guess it's not the same where you live. Good Luck!!!

Patricia
Old 8/23/07, 06:05 PM
GT Member

OK, I just swapped my wheels to a set of 18" takeoffs which are supposed to have sensors (I did not put my old sensors on the new wheels). I drove around 25 miles, and my TPMS light is still off. How long is it supposed to take for the TPMS light to kick in?
Old 8/23/07, 06:48 PM

You want the light to be off don't you? That means the car's computer is getting the signal from the tires, otherwise the TPMS light would go on due to low tire pressure. So your tires look like they have the senor in them already.

Correct?

I've heard that the light will go on if the pressure goes down to 25 lbs or less? Maybe give it a test to see?

OK, I just swapped my wheels to a set of 18" takeoffs which are supposed to have sensors (I did not put my old sensors on the new wheels). I drove around 25 miles, and my TPMS light is still off. How long is it supposed to take for the TPMS light to kick in?
Old 8/23/07, 10:27 PM
GT Member

You want the light to be off don't you? That means the car's computer is getting the signal from the tires, otherwise the TPMS light would go on due to low tire pressure. So your tires look like they have the senor in them already.

Correct?

I've heard that the light will go on if the pressure goes down to 25 lbs or less? Maybe give it a test to see?
Yeah, the new wheels have sensors, just different sensors than the ones that came with the car, so I was expecting the light to go on. Don't know how long it would take for the TPMS system to start complaining If it stays off I'll be a happy camper of course.
Old 8/24/07, 12:31 PM

Maybe you lucked out huh?

My sensors will be reused from the stock tires, so my car computer won't know the difference.....

Yeah, the new wheels have sensors, just different sensors than the ones that came with the car, so I was expecting the light to go on. Don't know how long it would take for the TPMS system to start complaining If it stays off I'll be a happy camper of course.
Old 8/24/07, 01:25 PM
GT Member

Maybe you lucked out huh?
Nah, the #$%^ light just turned on, it just took longer than I expected. I guess I'll have to find a way to retrain my TPMS.
Old 8/24/07, 01:28 PM

Doh!

Sorry to hear that! Maybe just take it to your Dealer?

Nah, the #$%^ light just turned on, it just took longer than I expected. I guess I'll have to find a way to retrain my TPMS.
Old 8/24/07, 04:13 PM
GT Member

Doh!

Sorry to hear that! Maybe just take it to your Dealer?
So Discount tire told me "no problem, bring your car in". I get there, the guys told me they couldn't do it for the band-mounted sensors.

I went back to the dealer with instructions in hand. The advisor didn't really know what I was talking about , but found a clueful tech who knew about the whole deal. They retrained the TMPS for the new sensors and the light is off again Let's hope it lasts!
Old 8/24/07, 04:18 PM

Well, I'm glad to hear that you got that light to go off. I hope the Dealer didn't charge you too much for retraining your TPMS for the new sensor?

So Discount tire told me "no problem, bring your car in". I get there, the guys told me they couldn't do it for the band-mounted sensors.

I went back to the dealer with instructions in hand. The advisor didn't really know what I was talking about , but found a clueful tech who knew about the whole deal. They retrained the TMPS for the new sensors and the light is off again Let's hope it lasts!
Old 8/24/07, 09:01 PM
GT Member

Well, I'm glad to hear that you got that light to go off. I hope the Dealer didn't charge you too much for retraining your TPMS for the new sensor?
$50. Better than the first quote of $150, and cheaper than buying the activation tool. I doubt I would have been able to pay for new bands and transferring the sensors to the new wheels for that price.

Quick Reply: Tire Press Monitor and New Wheels