2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Tint % Front and back...

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/07, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint % Front and back...

I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. We have a law that you can not tint the frond drivers and passengers side window...I have a Black Mustang and will get them tinted...

I want to get the back 3 windows tinted and the front drivers side and passenger side a low tint. What % tint for the front and back would you recommend? I have seen 20% tint on this forum and it looked good...If I go that way for the back what is the lightest or a lighter tint for the front windows that will still look good?

This law sucks...I will not go with out tint on the front windows...I think it would not look that good...Thanks for your suggestions...

P.S I am hoping that a low tint will let me get by with out the cops pulling me over...I hope that is...
Old 3/27/07, 10:27 PM
Cobra R Member

If you do get pulled over for anything else they are going to question your tint, the law is for the protection of the police. I'm not saying everyone out there with tint is bad or going to try and harm a cop but thats the way they are trained to think.
Old 3/27/07, 10:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Well if I get pulled over I will immediately roll both windows down fast...I hope that helps...
Old 3/27/07, 10:42 PM
Cobra R Member

It might be too late if you passed them already but its worth a try I have never seen a cop ask anyone to roll their windows up, just make sure its not winter
Old 3/27/07, 10:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 3/27/07, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VegasGold
Well if I get pulled over I will immediately roll both windows down fast...I hope that helps...
We have the same law here in California... no tint driver's door forward. I tinted driver's and passenger doors with a medium tint. While on the freeway with the sun bearing down on my driver's side, a motorcycle CHP (on my left) looked over... twice... and I knew it was all over. He slowed down, got behind me, ran my plates, then pulled me over. I rolled down windows before he walked up, but to no avail... he was writing up a fix-it ticket as he was approaching my car!
Old 3/27/07, 10:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
We have the same law here in California... no tint driver's door forward. I tinted driver's and passenger doors with a medium tint. While on the freeway with the sun bearing down on my driver's side, a motorcycle CHP (on my left) looked over... twice... and I knew it was all over. He slowed down, got behind me, ran my plates, then pulled me over. I rolled down windows before he walked up, but to no avail... he was writing up a fix-it ticket as he was approaching my car!

What happened after that? Did you take the tint off? Did you have to pay a fine?
Old 3/27/07, 11:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
20% rear
35% fronts

Never been pulled over for it. Have been pulled over 3 times for speeding, never mentioned once. It is illegal for anything on the fronts here.

Depending on the light outside, they can look pretty dark.

My g/f's Focus next to me has the next step lighter that was offered from the my 35%, Im not sure of the %, 50 maybe?

Old 3/27/07, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

limo in the rear and none in the front right now. i got pulled over in blythe, ca for having 13% on. he just gave me a fix it ticket and i took it off and had to pay a 10 dollar fine. prolly gonna put 15 on the front pretty soon. the tint limit in az is 20.
Old 3/28/07, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 05mustangman
limo in the rear and none in the front right now. i got pulled over in blythe, ca for having 13% on. he just gave me a fix it ticket and i took it off and had to pay a 10 dollar fine. prolly gonna put 15 on the front pretty soon. the tint limit in az is 20.
I just want to make sure I got this right: You've got AZ plates and while rolling through CA the CHP tickets you for the CA tint law?
Old 3/28/07, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

It's not legal here in NJ either. Though they won't pull you over for it that can write a ticket after you pulled over. For example your pulled over for speeding and not wearing your seatbelt and the cop sees the tint and writes and additional ticket. Still I had only my back half tinted on my past stang and I thought it looked great
Attached Thumbnails Tint %  Front and back...-pdr_0290.jpg   Tint %  Front and back...-mystang-side.jpg  
Old 3/28/07, 09:49 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have 20% all the way around on my black Stang and it looks good.
Old 3/28/07, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
20% rear
35% fronts

Never been pulled over for it. Have been pulled over 3 times for speeding, never mentioned once. It is illegal for anything on the fronts here.

Depending on the light outside, they can look pretty dark.

My g/f's Focus next to me has the next step lighter that was offered from the my 35%, Im not sure of the %, 50 maybe?

Thank you for the pictures...That is what I was looking for...

Thank you everyone for their input, I appreciate it very much...
Old 3/28/07, 10:46 AM
Cobra Member

35% front is reasonable, but illegal in most states as mentioned. If you go out of your way to make the officer comfortable they'll give you some slack. I roll down window(s) on whichever side he's approaching. I also turn on interior lights if it's dark out and I keep both hands on the top of the wheel. Once he's at ease you'll be much better off. I have 5% all around on my cars (I like to keep a low profile) and while it's been questioned during a couple of "speeding tax collection" stops, I've never received anything beyond a verbal warning. The stang has a pretty limited canopy, so you can be a little more conservative with the tint and still end up with a dark effect. I'll probably go 35F/20R whenever my car gets here.
Old 3/28/07, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RobK
35% front is reasonable, but illegal in most states as mentioned. If you go out of your way to make the officer comfortable they'll give you some slack. I roll down window(s) on whichever side he's approaching. I also turn on interior lights if it's dark out and I keep both hands on the top of the wheel. Once he's at ease you'll be much better off. I have 5% all around on my cars (I like to keep a low profile) and while it's been questioned during a couple of "speeding tax collection" stops, I've never received anything beyond a verbal warning. The stang has a pretty limited canopy, so you can be a little more conservative with the tint and still end up with a dark effect. I'll probably go 35F/20R whenever my car gets here.
That is what I am thinking...It looks good in the above picture...

You are correct in making the police at ease...Good point...Thanks for your input...
Old 3/28/07, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by VegasGold
What happened after that? Did you take the tint off? Did you have to pay a fine?
I had to remove the film on driver's and passenger doors, take car to CHP sub-station to have them confirm removal... and they waived the fine (1st offense)
Old 3/28/07, 11:58 AM

35% here as well. Haven't been hassled yet Joseph.

That being said, I'm sure if they pulled me over for something else I'd get it for the tint as well.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...7&d=1159239908
Old 3/28/07, 06:24 PM
GT Member

20% rear and 35% front for me as well.
in the sun it doesnt look too dark, but at night it looks dark.

I had a friend get a ticket for his, but it was 20% all around.
he didnt get pulled over for it, he was pulled over for speeding and the cop wrote him a ticket for the tint instead
Old 3/29/07, 05:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

35% fronts. 5% (Limo) side quarters and rear.

35% legal limit here in Missouri.

In Hindsight, I would get rear window at 20% if I could do it over. 5% looks cool on rear from the outside but makes it more difficult to see unmarked cops rolling up on you from behind.
Attached Thumbnails Tint %  Front and back...-dsc00056a.jpg   Tint %  Front and back...-dsc00064s.jpg  
Old 3/29/07, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah 35% should be light enough for you. I've got that all the way around the car. It gives it that sporty mean edge, but at the same time it doesn't reduce the light too much. Remember, making that 20%, in the night time it is going to be more difficult to see out those windows.

Quick Reply: Tint % Front and back...